PDA

View Full Version : mr2 is running rich whats wrong?

mr.double
07-18-2008, 06:32 PM
my mr2 is running rich when i stomp on it i can smell lots of gas in the cockpit! what should i change or what whould the problem be? the exhaust tips seem to have alot more black buildup in them also. any ideas? anyone have solve this problem?

jvillain
07-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Your gonna have to tell us about your rngine setup. Stock? Mods? Ecent changes, etc.

First guess would be a leak in the intake plumbing. Does it happen at idle under boost ?

2.0turbo
07-19-2008, 03:11 PM
I second that. Boost leak test that bitch.

mr.double
07-19-2008, 06:18 PM
its a 2nd gen jdm swap stock with 3 inch exhaust. where or how do i get a boost leak test done? its only when i spool her up

heavyD
07-19-2008, 06:26 PM
How would a boost leak cause fuel smell? Seeing that it's a jdm swap the engine probably sat for a while. There could be leaks at the intake manifold or worn, dry cracked injector insulators. As well you may want to check the fuel lines and FPR as well as the fuel filter banjo bolts.

Exhaust manifolds on gen 2's are known to warp so if you are in fact running rich you could smell some fuel in the exhaust.

alloroc
07-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Also check your coolant level and temp sender(s).

Can you get any codes out of it?

Ek9Max
07-19-2008, 09:10 PM
well if you got rid of the stock cat its gonna get smelly. And naturally these cars run pig rich at full throtle.

Redlyne_mr2
07-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Ek9Max
well if you got rid of the stock cat its gonna get smelly. And naturally these cars run pig rich at full throtle.
what the hell are you doing posting on the internet Las Vegas.

mr.double
07-19-2008, 10:49 PM
i have no cats aftermarket exhaust manifold and 3" out the greddy muffler. it just seems like its worse than when i had the swap done but maybe i never noticed it! Could it be as simple as plugs or plug wires if its not firing right ? maybe ill start there cheap to expensive probably the easyest way to go! i dont know what injectors are on it. If they are if they are high flow injectors could that cause it? could the timing do it? i dunno what else. personally i like the smell of gas but the old lady doesnt. who doesnt like that smell?... yah i WAS the 7 yr old kid behind the 67 impala 5 minutes early with my face in the exhaust waiting for my parents. i still do it sometimes but now im waiting for the OLD lady

thinmyster
07-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

what the hell are you doing posting on the internet Las Vegas.

Haha i was about to post the same thing