PDA

View Full Version : Posting Calories

max_boost
07-19-2008, 02:29 AM
Just spent a week in NYC and all eateries including all drink places have to post calories of the food they serve.

Just curious if you would want to see something like that here? I was in Starbucks and really wanted to get a Caramel Frap with whip cream and a cookie but instead just walked out with a passion iced tea instead. 1000 calories FTL. It never stopped me before but seeing it on the board actually affected me. LOL

Example:

NEW YORK - Customers at big fast-food chains in New York City are finally facing the facts about their meal choices. And for some, the truth may be hard to swallow — like 1,130 calories for a Big Mac, medium fries and a medium soda.

Zephyr
07-19-2008, 02:34 AM
Yea I think they wanna do that in California too, I remember that one time you visited here you saw those grades we have on every single business that has food for sale. Even simple grades affect folks.

4lti7ude
07-19-2008, 04:39 AM
I remember watching a Marketplace episode on CBC about this in Canada, and they even redid the Boston Pizza Menu to show the Calories but the owners of the food chain said "People Dont Care" pretty much...

But I wouldnt mind seeing this done in canada.

2002civic
07-19-2008, 07:47 AM
I would love to see this, I think it would make me make better choices because if I want one of a couple things I would choose the healthier item if I saw on paper the differences

dino_martini
07-19-2008, 10:12 AM
1,130 calories for a Big Mac, medium fries and a medium soda.

WHAT? That is quite a bit.:eek:

Amysicle
07-19-2008, 10:21 AM
I think it'll shock people at first, but after they start craving their Big Macs and XL mocha fraps, they'll just ignore the calories and eat whatever the hell they want like they did before.

I personally wouldn't want to see this in Calgary. Not because I'd have to make lifestyle choices, but because it'd just be a waste of time and money. Fatties should already know what they're eating is bad for them. If anyone really did give a shit about the calories in a burger/sub/drink, they'd just look it up anyways.

The_Rural_Juror
07-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Amysicle
I think it'll shock people at first, but after they start craving their Big Macs and XL mocha fraps, they'll just ignore the calories and eat whatever the hell they want like they did before.

I personally wouldn't want to see this in Calgary. Not because I'd have to make lifestyle choices, but because it'd just be a waste of time and money. Fatties should already know what they're eating is bad for them. If anyone really did give a shit about the calories in a burger/sub/drink, they'd just look it up anyways.

:werd: Besides, calories aren't the be all and end all of nutrition. They "minus-whale" put the cost of liposuction on the menu.

Weapon_R
07-19-2008, 11:03 AM
It'll be good for all the fat fucks in America (and hopefully here) to see what they are stuffing themselves with. I think its a great idea and every restaurant should do this.

Jlude
07-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
Yea I think they wanna do that in California too, I remember that one time you visited here you saw those grades we have on every single business that has food for sale. Even simple grades affect folks.

Yes we do.

It's a great idea. It's helpful for those looking to lose weight, helping them keep track of their calorie intake.

Like Weapon_R said, maybe now it'll make overweight people think twice and make smarter food decisions.

rmk
07-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
It'll be good for all the fat fucks in America (and hopefully here) to see what they are stuffing themselves with. I think its a great idea and every restaurant should do this.

:werd:

That is (now was) my drink of choice when i visit Starbucks too :cry:

natejj
07-19-2008, 01:24 PM
I cant believe how surprised people are when they find out how much calories are in a big mac meal, or a cheeseburger. What the hell were you expecting, 200 calories, 400 for the meal? Give me a break, you're drinking liquid sugar and eating deep fried potatoes. People give fast food joints such a hard time.... try Boston Pizza. I worked there for 7 months, and then I read the nutritional information... the only thing I ate after that was salad with chicken breasts. Some of their pasta dishes have over 2000 calories in ONE serving. Its ridiculous.

That marketplace episode was awful. That lady is so biased... she would lead people with biased questions such as "But wouldnt you expect a vegetarian meal to have lower calories..."? If someone assumes anything, it's their own fault. Places like Boston Pizza, everything is processed, frozen, and trucked in, reheated by a pimply 16 year old, and then has some parsley sprinkled on it. Enjoy your 2000 calories.

/rant

nich148_9
07-19-2008, 04:54 PM
I think a major problem is that most people don't understand how much one calorie is, or how many they need. I'm sure that if you asked random people on the street what the difference between 500 calories and 800, most people wouldn't have a clue what difference it makes.

Darkane
07-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Man I love my home cooking! And no.. not my mom's. All you single guys should learn how to cook, Chicks like it and it saves tons of cash.

I know exactly how much I eat.

Fitday.com helps too.

E36M3
07-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Nutritional information is a great idea.. I had no idea how bad my diet was until I started doing research. With calories posted at the point of sale, it makes it much harder to ignore the fact that most people consume way more calories than they need.

The other thing that many people don't realize is that restaurant food is generally much higher in calories/fat/carbs then what you would prepare at home because it is geared much more towards taste than nutrition. That might be great when you eat out occasionally, but many people (myself included) eat out most meals and it does make it more challenging to eat healthy.

I find that I eat chicken salads (chicken caesar most commonly) when I eat out for lunch, and a simple meat dish with salad when I eat out for dinner.. keeps things within reason (I'm not as obsessed with caloric intake except in aggregate, but maintaining reasonable levels of protein while keeping carbs under control is tough)

Atriux
07-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Wouldn't fast food chains be a little hesitant about posting up these values? Of course they wouldn't care that much as they're already making hundreds and millions of dollars anyways, but with the amount of people that are beginning to "watch their weight"... I mean if they were already thinking about the customers, these would already be up xD

It would be a great idea though...

lelalong
07-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
I find that I eat chicken salads (chicken caesar most commonly) when I eat out for lunch, and a simple meat dish with salad when I eat out for dinner.. keeps things within reason (I'm not as obsessed with caloric intake except in aggregate, but maintaining reasonable levels of protein while keeping carbs under control is tough)

But....the amount of FAT in salad dressing is huge! Posting the calories and fat will make people realize that what they used to think of healthy isn't always. Check out the webpages for McDonalds, Wendy's, Starbucks, Tim Horton's, etc and you can find the nutritional information. A muffin at Tim Horton can have more fat than a donut! Bring on the donut in that case!

E36M3
07-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Fat is misunderstood in nutrition. As long as you keep your fat intake within your target range (which should be part of a diet plan), it is not only healthy, but it is vital.

A donut is far worse for you than a muffin ATBE. Fat is only a small part of the total equation.

Originally posted by lelalong

But....the amount of FAT in salad dressing is huge! Posting the calories and fat will make people realize that what they used to think of healthy isn't always. Check out the webpages for McDonalds, Wendy's, Starbucks, Tim Horton's, etc and you can find the nutritional information. A muffin at Tim Horton can have more fat than a donut! Bring on the donut in that case!