PDA

View Full Version : Good roads to ride

tictoc
07-19-2008, 09:16 AM
What are some good roads to ride? suggestions? Ideas?

old&slow
07-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Hiway 541/hwy40 from Longview to Kanaskis...

Cowtown_Raider
07-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Yup what O&S said...here's a map with a more detailed/extended route:

hwy 40 loop (http://www.sportbikemaps.com/#Search%20Routes?route_id=33&user_id=824965159)

tictoc
07-19-2008, 04:10 PM
How long does the loop take? and would you gas up in Longview?

old&slow
07-19-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm gonna guess 4hrs at least. There is gas near the Peter Lougheed park hwy 40 near waypoint 4

Cowtown_Raider
07-20-2008, 12:06 PM
You can shorten the loop to 350 kms by driving to Longview from Okotoks. Gas up at the Fortress Junction near waypoint 4, then cruise up to the 1A through Seebe down to Cochrane, then back to Calgary. Pretty much just cutting out the Elbow Falls and Grand Valley Road legs.

I did this route a few weekends ago, leaving around 6pm on a Sunday. I did the loop starting the other way through Cochrane first so that the sun wasn't in my eyes. I was back home before dark so it took about 4 hours, stopping for about 20 minutes for a snack at waypoint 4.

hadookin
08-04-2008, 10:31 AM
I just drove this route to go camping and will definately be riding it next weekend. does the Gas Plus by Peter Lougheed have 91 octane?

tictoc
08-04-2008, 11:04 AM
I was going to ride it yesterday, but when we got into Longview and looked west we decided not to go. Look liked it could been hailing/raining pretty hard so we continued down 22 and made a left to go to Nanton. Good road to ride however coming back to calgary Sucks!! long way up Hwy 2.

Graham_A_M
08-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Cowtown_Raider
You can shorten the loop to 350 kms by driving to Longview from Okotoks. Gas up at the Fortress Junction near waypoint 4, then cruise up to the 1A through Seebe down to Cochrane, then back to Calgary. Pretty much just cutting out the Elbow Falls and Grand Valley Road legs.

I did this route a few weekends ago, leaving around 6pm on a Sunday. I did the loop starting the other way through Cochrane first so that the sun wasn't in my eyes. I was back home before dark so it took about 4 hours, stopping for about 20 minutes for a snack at waypoint 4.
Sweet, so I can get gas at every 200km's or so of driving?
<---- this guy doesn't like to walk roadside with a jerry can:(

Thanks for the tips guys. I heard about that trek before, but I didn't know there was a gas station there.

tictoc
08-04-2008, 01:32 PM
You can also gas up in Longview

Ferio_vti
08-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Highway 1A to Lake Louise is pretty fun.

BlkMaxima
08-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by hadookin
I just drove this route to go camping and will definately be riding it next weekend. does the Gas Plus by Peter Lougheed have 91 octane?

Nope but they have octane booster bottles.

Graham_A_M
08-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
Highway 1A to Lake Louise is pretty fun.

Oh God yeah, too bad the road from Calgary to Canmore is so boring, otherwise I'd do it every weekend.

Some parts of it were just freshly paved, so it feels like a racetrack at times. Damn 60kph speed limit, and solid lines:thumbsdow
Very very enjoyable. Gas station in the middle of it too:)

The curves and the views:drool: I just wish we could section it off for a weekend and have a bikes only type of sanctioning, feels like Trials mountain raceway on Gran Turismo.
:clap:

revelations
08-07-2008, 04:03 PM
hwy 762 - but beware of cops during the day. Best time to get there is around dusk/dawn.

BlkMaxima
08-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by revelations
hwy 762 - but beware of cops during the day. Best time to get there is around dusk/dawn.

I would rather watch for cops than wildlife.:dunno:

revelations
08-07-2008, 09:00 PM
True, but in hindsight I was referring to the time just before sun goes down, not after it.

Graham_A_M
08-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by BlkMaxima

I would rather watch for cops than wildlife.:dunno:

I wouldn't.... deer cant take your license and bike away, and award you with several hundreds or even thousands of dollars in fines.

tomt64
08-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Best time to go is first thing in the morning, there may be wildlife, but there are not many cars on the road so you can have a good time without having to overtake every 500m.

BlkMaxima
08-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I wouldn't.... deer cant take your license and bike away, and award you with several hundreds or even thousands of dollars in fines.

I would rather pay with money than my life.

Graham_A_M
08-07-2008, 10:27 PM
^ :rofl: true. I came remarkibly close to hitting a moose on my highschool grad out in Maclean creek. Big 6 foot rack and all. If I would have stuck out my arm, I would have been able to smack its ass as I skidded past it. Yeah I just about dropped off the Cosby kid's on a lonely highway somewhere. Bill would have not been impressed.
I'll never forget that day.... ever. Crashed the old Ninja 5 times on this gravel/rutted path going to the campsite for the aftergrad :rofl:
Wasn't a good day.

bituerbo
08-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by BlkMaxima

Nope but they have octane booster bottles.

Thos octane boosters raise octane of a bike's tank by less than half a point, be prepared to buy a LOT of them.

Alternatively bring a litre or two of toluene.