PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy amplifier for a home theater?

tyler_durden
07-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Where can I buy amplifier for a home theater? I need one to power my 2 front speakers? Also where is the best place to look for mounting brackets & stands for speakers?

dj_rice
07-20-2008, 02:23 PM
I seen some amps at the video rental place in T & T but whether or not they're good quality is questionable....

A790
07-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Any home electronics store my man....

Futureshop, Best Buy, Visions, Soundsaround, etc. Try Cash Converters or pawn shops if you want to get some on the cheap.

tyler_durden
07-20-2008, 05:30 PM
FS, BB, soundsaround and visions don't have it...I have a receiver already and I just want a separate amplifier to drive my front speakers as I want clean power going through them.

dj_rice
07-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Mothers Music, Axe Music

HiSpec
07-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Sonic Frontier.... if they are still around

ICEBERG
07-20-2008, 07:03 PM
I have the Rotel RMB 1095 powering my Paradigm studio 100's V4. I got it from sounds of music down town. They have great stuff there. Talk to Alec, great guy to deal with.

cheers,

http://www.rotel.com/images/managed/productimages/rmb1095_front.jpg

ecstasy_civic
07-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
I have the Rotel RMB 1095 powering my Paradigm studio 100's V4. I got it from sounds of music down town. They have great stuff there. Talk to Alec, great guy to deal with.

cheers,

:drool: :drool:

tyler_durden
07-20-2008, 09:59 PM
That's a monster! I only need something that can do between 50-100 watts on a 2 channel.

Since you look like you guys know what your talking about, I want to know what the diffrence is between a integrated amp to a power amp? Pro's and con's maybe? Which one ersatile for both 2.1 music and 5.1 movies?

I already have 130W per channel on my receiver so I just need to make sure I got clean power going thru my tower speakers.

ICEBERG
07-20-2008, 11:19 PM
^^^ If you can tell us what kind of speakers you have maybe we can help you out better. Speakers like the paradigm studio's require lot of power to drive them. What is the Maximum Input Power of your speakers?

cheers,

tyler_durden
07-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG

cheers,

I talked on the phone with someone from sounds of music, and they told that basically that if i hook up a power amp to my preouts is that Im bypassing my receivers power. I thought that by installing a power amplifier i would add to my receivers output power....

how can i add more power to drive my energy rc-70's towers. i have a 5.1 RC setup and my receiver is a yamaha rxv-1800b. the max power output on my tower speakers is 250watt rms.

ICEBERG
07-21-2008, 04:59 PM
^^^ That's right. Your Yamaha receiver will become a pre/amp 5.1 Surround Preamplifier / Processor. But you can still use your amps on the yamaha. You can get a Power Amp to run your 2 mains, and also you can use the amp on your receiver to run your rears and the center.

Why not just get a 2 channel power amp to run your mains and the rest of your system can run off your receiver? Or if you like get a 5 channel power amp to run everything off the power amp and not use your receiver?

A separate amp will always give you more clean power than your receiver(depending on the amp).

What do you mean when you say you want more power to run your energy rc-70's?You want to use the Amp on your receiver + the Power amp? That won't happen because your receiver will bypass the power to the mains from the receiver.

If you want to get more power from your receiver without using a power amp than just bridge the mains of the receiver. But i wouldn't do that. It will prob. FRY your receiver.

The front and rear are typically derived from the same set of chips or outputs. You have a left channel thats split between front and rear and a right thats split. Most bridgeing will take place between the left and right and will make a single mono channel. Now if you have a discreet 4 channel amp, each channel has its own input like in a car amp, it is more likely that it can be bridged, but the amp has to be designed in such a way that will allow bridging. Not all amps are.

Just buy a small amp that puts out more power than your receiver. If you bridge your receiver you will fry it!! Amps that are made to be bridged usually run at 2-4 Ohm's stable, who knows what you will get out of your receiver, and how stable it will be.

good luck,

ICEBERG
07-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Here is a great amp for you. For $699 you can't go wrong. Checkout all their stuff. Outlaw makes great products for fraction of the cost of other brands.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7075_gallery2.html