PDA

View Full Version : Laptop way to hot?

the-240sx-guy
09-02-2003, 02:48 PM
Hey guys,

are there any laptop owners out there? i have a question for you

my laptop gets pretty hot when used for 45 minutes or more, to the point where its uncomfortable to place it on ur lap. i have a program where i have the HDD running from 29 degress celcius to 60 degress in less then an hour.

i called dell for help, and the tech guy there was really dumb. he said he agrees that its not normal for it be hot like i have described it to him, but because i passed the diag tests, then my laptop is completely fine

i was like 'so ur saying u agree that my laptop should not be hot, but because the test says its ok, then its normal??? :banghead: :banghead:

anyways just wanted to know what you guys had to say. i have about 2 weeks left on warranty. and IF this is abnormal, i want to get it fixed within that time period

thanks

rage2
09-02-2003, 02:50 PM
The fan's probably broke. My Toshiba had this problem, brought it in to the Toshiba depot and got it fixed under warranty.

the-240sx-guy
09-02-2003, 02:51 PM
u think the fan is broke? i do notice that sometimes it doesnt spin at all.

i told that to the dell guy, and he said that the fan will spin when its hot and it will stop when its not. again, he tried to tell me, that it was normal!

i dont think there is a local dell depot at all, should i just go out and buy a new fan from memory express and slap it in?

ShOwOfF
09-02-2003, 02:53 PM
i used to have an old presario that was as loud and slow as hell, it used to heat up on my lap but not to the point that it was uncomfortable. I only noticed the heat after i took the comp off my lap. I now have a vaio and i get barely any heat from it. If you still have the warranty mind as well have it checked out, before ur warranty runs out.

Altezza
09-02-2003, 02:54 PM
I've probably gone through about 4-5 laptops in the past few years and they all pretty much do the same. They all get hot to the point where it's not comfortable to keep on your lap for an extended period of time.

There are 3rd party utils that keep your fan going all the time (I know they existed for Toshiba). Not too sure if there's one for the Dells or not.

rage2
09-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Well my fan kept going, but it was really slow. Dust and crap.

littledan
09-02-2003, 03:49 PM
i have a dell about 8 months old and mine gets damn hot!! my fan runs though but it still gets hot to the point where if you touch the bottom it is uncomfortable... i'd like to know what i should do as well...

Shaolin
09-02-2003, 03:53 PM
I have a Dell, Compaq and NEC, all 3 laptops get hot if put on your lap, that's why i never put it on there.. it's not hot enough to burn your ass, but it's got enough that I won't put it on my lap. I don't think my laptops hit temperatures in the 60s, that's just outrageous.. check the fans and stuff..

Weapon_R
09-02-2003, 04:07 PM
My Compaq Armada is also uncomfortable to put on the lap after about 1/2 hr use. I think it's normal, because I just replaced the LCD screen and saw the fan, and it is working fine.

Ichigo
09-02-2003, 06:49 PM
I'be got a IBM thinkpad... She run's a little more than comfortable for putting it on the lap.. That's why I rather call them notebooks.. Instead of laptops.. But running hot is a norm for them...Hot meaning touch and.. ooooooohh... not Hot meaning touch and aaaahhhh!!

Shaolin
09-02-2003, 07:20 PM
you guys hear that story about some american suing some manufacturer because they burnt their lap with their laptop? now it's strictly notebook :D

Khyron
09-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Our older compaq armadas run super hot (cant touch bottom for too long). The IBM thinkpads are a bit cooler - all depends on the design I guess.

Khyron

the-240sx-guy
09-02-2003, 09:31 PM
heres a program i used to detect hdd temperature

as i type, i am at 61 degrees celcius...

whats ur results?

program (http://download.com.com/redir?pid=10164029&merid=73584&mfgid=73584&edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3000-2086-10164029&ontId=2086&ltype=dl_dlnow&lop=link&destUrl=%2F3001-2086-10164029.html)

Mr_John
09-02-2003, 10:35 PM
got myself a Toshiba Satellite.....
this thing gets pretty hot after about a couple of hours of use but.... i think its normal for a laptop to get hot at the bottom a bit. i hope so at least... cuz this is a brand new laptop and i dont want something wrong with it already...haha

GC8
09-03-2003, 02:20 AM
I've got a dell laptop also, and it does seem like it get's really hot after a while of use...
but i have this problem where my laptop will just shutdown on it's own...doesn't restart or anything, just shutsdown...anyone have this problem also? or know what's wrong with my laptop?
I was thinking my fan was broken or something, and that my laptop got too hot, so then it just shuts down..but im not too sure..

E36M3
09-03-2003, 02:54 AM
A lot of laptops use the case for heat dispersion, and are not designed to be put on your lap.

The reason for this is that fans make lots of noise. My laptops fan almost never comes on, but it does get hot when it is on my lap. I put up with it for the lack of noise though.