PDA

View Full Version : Too Cool Motorcycle School

Eleanor
07-21-2008, 09:40 AM
I know this school has been mentioned in a couple other threads, but I wanted to make this one for people's feedback about this school.

I did the course last week at night (5:45 - 10:30 MTWF) and passed the lot test last night (barely :D ).

The course is absolutely fantastic. I started the course with absolutely zero experience on a motorbike and by the end of the course was feeling fairly comfortable and relaxed on the bike and like I mentioned passed the lot test on the first try.

Trevor, Jen, Rob & Knut (I hope that's how you spell it :D ) were excellent instructors and very helpful & willing to answer any questions you asked them. They made sure that the course focused on safety but still made it interesting & fun.

I'd just like to strongly recommend Too Cool to everyone else out there who's looking at getting their Class 6, I learned tons and my skills (and everyone elses in the course) improved drastically throughout the course. I went from dropping the bike before I had even turned it on :rofl: to completing the double cone serpentine on my first go for the lot test.

If you're looking at doing this the link to their page is here:

Too Cool Motorcycle School (http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com/core/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=17)

(If the mods want the link removed, feel free to)

My girlfriend took the course last fall with the Calgary Safety Council and she didn't seem nearly as impressed with the course as I was with Too Cool.

Thanks again guys! I'll be signing up for the advanced course when I've got some more road experience under my belt.

Cowtown_Raider
07-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Congrats! I've heard great things about the course as well. You going bike shopping now? :)

Dumbass17
07-21-2008, 12:21 PM
i took it too
very good course
fun to take with a friend :thumbsup:

Eleanor
07-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Cowtown_Raider
Congrats! I've heard great things about the course as well. You going bike shopping now? :)

Yeah, but everyone's sold out of Kawi Ninja 250s everywhere and I just found out that the Aprilia RS125 won't be street legal in Canada :cry:

So I'm hunting down a beater bike I can use for the rest of the summer till I can put a deposit down on a Ninja 250R in Oct. I rode one at the course and absolutely loved it. Not a stupid amount of power but more then enough for riding around town. Then eventually move up to a 600 when I've got some experience under the belt.

Doozer
07-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Good feedback. :thumbsup: I've had one of their business cards laying around for when I get off my ass and get my Class 6, and although this isn't the first good thing I've heard about them, it's nice to hear more.

GQBalla
07-21-2008, 03:10 PM
good job!

1 for passing the course
2 for passing the lot test ( i failed my lot test, stupid circle it was the last part of my exam and i wasted all 3 strikes on it)

but i took my course through calgary safety council and i was very impressed with it

9taccord
07-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Hey Eleanor!
Nice to meet you last night and congrats again on the Class 6 test!!

I just finished my Too Cool course last night, I did the weekend course. 9:00am-6:30pm on Sat and Sun. Hella long weekend but so much learning and an incredibly fun time. I love the guys at Too Cool. Trevor, Rob, and Kyle do an amazing job. I even got to ride the Ninja 636 on the Road cruise around town for an hour and a half... what an experience compared to the 250's on the lot! Woot!

So long story short I would recommend this school to anyone as it was recommended to me by a friend who took it many many years ago. (Trev's been doing this thing 18 years running)

Now I'm in the market for a bike... definitely a used 600cc of some sorts. R6, Gsx-r, ninja, CBR. Hopefully I can find a nicely taken care of used one for a decent price before the season it over.

We'll have to go for a cruise Eleanor! and whoever else!

MikeHL
07-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Congrats.

If you can't find a Ninja 250, try looking for a Ninja500 there are some good deals on those 500's out there.

Eleanor
07-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah Mike, I'm looking around at a few different options. I'll prolly grab a beater for the rest of the summer then get a ninja 250 when they come into stock at dealers. I drove one at too cool and loved it.

SoLowMa
07-21-2008, 10:11 PM
My R1 is for sale! if your interested, very cool sharp one of a kind bike!

Eleanor
07-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Ummmm, yeah no thanks. Did you see the fact that I just got my license? I'm not an idiot and jumping on a litre bike right now, sorry.

UndrgroundRider
07-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Ummmm, yeah no thanks. Did you see the fact that I just got my license? I'm not an idiot and jumping on a litre bike right now, sorry.

My friend is selling his Ninja 250. It an older one, but probably would be exactly what you're looking for. Send me off a PM and I will put you guys in touch.

. o 69 o .
07-23-2008, 09:16 PM
I took the day time courseback in May with Trevor and Rob.

I had zero riding experience before going there. They were very patient, and helpful and really get you confident for riding.

When we did the road ride.... which was my first ever time on the streets on a bike, (and it kicked ass by the way) I got the chance to ride the Kawi 636. It was so fun.

I have nothing bad to say about the course, it was great. If you are planning on taking lessons, go there, you will learn lots of things that will help you not only pass the test, but things that will keep you ass alive once you are out riding on your own bike.

Riding a bike isn't something you just learn in a week or weekend, its something you practice for the rest of your riding days.

s8chan
07-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Took the course with them 5 years ago and have nothing but good things to say. I thought they did an excellent job teaching and were very encouraging. They have lots of combined experience and give lots of tips. They actually want to help you become a good rider instead of just taking your money and not giving a damn like some other places. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to get their class 6.

CUG
07-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Ummmm, yeah no thanks. Did you see the fact that I just got my license? I'm not an idiot and jumping on a litre bike right now, sorry. That is a fantastic attitude that a lot of new riders need to adopt. I was riding for 6 years before I got a 1000.

ringmaster
07-27-2008, 10:37 PM
I took the course 3 years ago and it was the best thing i could have done. They teach you how to ride which you could figure out yourself in about 3 minutes but more importantly they teach you the attitude you need to have

hadookin
07-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by ringmaster
I took the course 3 years ago and it was the best thing i could have done. They teach you how to ride which you could figure out yourself in about 3 minutes but more importantly they teach you the attitude you need to have

fuck has it been that long since you took it? damn i remember jumping the speed bumps at sait the summer you started riding:rofl:

avow
07-28-2008, 01:56 PM
i really wanted to take the course this year. :(
they are a really busy place to try and get into. i will book it this winter for next spring for sure.

Eleanor
07-28-2008, 03:13 PM
^ yeah, when I registered (I think it was in June) I was told that the earliest available course was late August. But I got in early on a cancellation, so if you haven't already, put your name down on that list and you might get lucky.

Tearin
03-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I just signed up for lessons with Too Cool yesterday - WOOT!

Classes are filling fast (mine is in June) so anyone contemplating lessons should book now.

Graham_A_M
03-08-2009, 01:54 PM
^ Sweet what kind of bike do you have? or are planning on buying?
11 years ago when I was 15, it was a division of " A driving School". Man I'm old. :rofl: It was an awesome course back then., that was when it was hosted up at the go-cart track up by the airport. Long gone now, but both the beginner and the advanced courses held there were excellent.
:thumbsup:
I sold them my old '91 YSR80 that they used in the advanced course to teach riding technique. Man it was awful seeing that bike after I sold it, the gas tank was a black metal prune in all reality, just beat to piss.:( When I sold it to them the bike was in mint shape, ah well to be expected I guess. They bought it and offered me free beginners and advanced courses as well, so that was really nice of them.

stevieo
03-08-2009, 02:02 PM
I took this class a few years ago. They were awesome to learn from. I passed my test and everything thanks to them. Had lots of fun too.

just never ended up buying a bike after some things went down..

Tearin
03-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Sweet what kind of bike do you have? or are planning on buying?
11 years ago when I was 15, it was a division of " A driving School". Man I'm old. :rofl:

I must be the granny of beyond - try 20 yrs since I was 15!

Being a girl and seemingly "ancient" - I'm going to see how the lessons go and then consider a used Ninja 250 for the summer just to get comfortable with my abilities. I'm quite obsessed with helmet/leather selection right now...when will this snow end??

Eleanor
03-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Tearin
I just signed up for lessons with Too Cool yesterday - WOOT! Congrats :thumbsup: You won't be disappointed.

Good choice on starting out on the 250, they're great bikes. Too Cool had a couple of '08 models for people to try out. If you're looking at buying one, ask them to ride on one while you're doing the course to see how you like it.