PDA

View Full Version : Towing a car, need help

funkedelic
07-21-2008, 02:55 PM
This may sound like a stupid question but do you need a certain class/licence to legally tow a trailer? I need to tow a car from here to Calgary in a couple of days, and i have never towed anything before.

I will be driving my brothers newer denali. How hard is it to actually pull a trailer? Anybody have any advice? Basically i was just going to give myself a lot more room to switch lanes/stop and accerlerate slower and of course made wider turns.

I have heard its not as hard as most people would think. I'm told the hardest part is loading/unloading and backing it up..

thanks for the help in advice

Boosted_TL
07-21-2008, 03:02 PM
You pretty much have it covered bud! Class 5 is all you need. Using a Uhaul trailer? The hardest part is loading and off loading especially if the car is lowered. Just drive with more care as your counter manuvering capabilites are less.

funkedelic
07-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Boosted_TL
You pretty much have it covered bud! Class 5 is all you need. Using a Uhaul trailer? The hardest part is loading and off loading especially if the car is lowered. Just drive with more care as your counter manuvering capabilites are less.

Nice. No my buddy has a trailer that i'm borrowing, Hopefully all goes well i'll just make sure to take it nice and easy.

Tik-Tok
07-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic

I'm told the hardest part is backing it up..

If you've never backed a trailer up before, you're going to get REALLY frustrated, especially if you're backing into a tight area.

This is definitely the hardest part.

Boosted_TL
07-21-2008, 03:07 PM
The hardest part of your trip is probably going to be the cost of the gas bill.

Nice M !!!

Boosted_TL
07-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

If you've never backed a trailer up before, you're going to get REALLY frustrated, especially if you're backing into a tight area.

This is definitely the hardest part.

He's right. Goes back to the slow and steady comment. Slight turns of the steering wheel to the opposite direction you want the trailer to go, slow and steady. Always have someone guide you though!

hrdkore
07-21-2008, 03:10 PM
remember ur turning is a lot wider as well jsut make sure you're watching what your'e carrying. and make sure those brakes lights work on teh trailer.

LadyLuck
07-21-2008, 03:11 PM
stay away from the curbs and give yourself plenty of rooms when taking turns :)

zarge
07-21-2008, 03:11 PM
just remember once you start the turn in reverse.. at a certain point turn your front wheels the same as the trailer and "follow it" like it's pulling you.

funkedelic
07-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it :thumbsup: