PDA

View Full Version : Razor question

smokedog
07-22-2008, 02:24 AM
I'm currently using a gillette fusion for shaving....and i still get razor burns and i really don't get a close shave....I been doing some research and they say u get the closest shave(other than straight razor) by using a safety razor....just wonderin' what are the pros and cons of using a safety razor....and also if someone here knows where i can pick one up in edmonton....

A790
07-22-2008, 02:36 AM
Do you shave against the grain? I find that by shaving in the shower I effectively completely eliminate razor burn with the Fusion. I shave against the grain, and I use Gilette's "sensetive skin" gel.

GQBalla
07-22-2008, 08:16 AM
are you using new razor blades?

i find that when i replace the razor blades more i get less razor burn.

i shave right after i shower and than after i shower i wash my face my tea tree oil.

adam c
07-22-2008, 08:19 AM
i used to use gillette sensitive skin but i would still get nasty razor burn. i've switched to Nivia for men and it has helped quite a bit actually.

I find i get less irritation with my old mach 3 then i do with the fusion, maybe its cause the mach 3 is battery operated while my fusion is just the normal one?

TheStig
07-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Good start with the Nivea gel... its the best! I shave one side of my face at a time, around the mouth and then the neck. Start by shaving with the grain, then go against (no need to reapply gel in between).... and if possible shaving in the shower is the way to go. By the way, I still use a Mach3 (but have not tried the Fusion).

bobby_lu
07-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Gillette Fusion Power (pay attention to replace indicator)
Gillette Skintimate Shave gel (preferably vanilla :drool:, yes i know its womens )
Shave after Shower (condition face in shower)

Using this method instead of shaving dry (before shower) has let me go from once a week, to twice a week and now every other day. Still cant quite get to everyday though.

BrknFngrs
07-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Safety razor is the way to go for sure, I switched over about two months ago. Way closer shave, significantly less irritation and you don't get completely ripped off for replacement blades.

Buy from Momentum Grooming out of Vancouver; great guys to deal with and really fast shipping.

Grogador
07-22-2008, 11:52 AM
- use cold water, preferably in the shower
- get a razor with LESS blades, like the Gillette Sensor Excel
- avoid going against the grain :D

TheStig
07-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Grogador
- use cold water, preferably in the shower
- get a razor with LESS blades, like the Gillette Sensor Excel
- avoid going against the grain :D

Cold water!?! I use water as hot as I can stand... it softens up the stubble and skin. But I can see your point... cold water would tighten up the skin I suppose.

Supa Dexta
07-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Why the hell would you use cold water? :confused: If anything take a hot shower first (more messy) or try a hot cloth on your face before you start.

ExtraSlow
07-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Shaving with the grain can help lessen the irritation, but the shave is not as close. I shave every day though, so it's no big deal.

Gilette Mach 3 for me, I've used the Shick Quattro, and I wasn't impressed.

cdnsir
07-22-2008, 12:37 PM
I use Mach 3, store-brand shaving cream, and going against the grain and I it's been working pretty well for me. One pass going against is usually good enough. But f I missed a spot and have to do a few more, then that's when I'll start getting the burns. At that point I'll just put a bit of aftershave on to burn out the burn...

BokCh0y
07-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I use the Fusion - Battery powered and still get razor burn. I noticed that it was better with the Mach3 than the razor.

I also use Nivea for shave gel, works pretty well but i noticed the women's gillette shave gel seems to work the best with the least amount of irritation.

Right after my shower I start shaving. I use super hot water and run the blade under that then start shaving. Gets the closest smoothest shave with the least irritation. Then afterwards I'll rinse my face with cold water then toss on Nivea after shave balm.

Strider
07-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Safety razor >> Mach 3,5,7,12 or whatever the fuck they're on these days.

I use a Merkur DE that I bought from Art of Shaving in New York... I have no clue where you'd get one in Edmonton, but it's probably easier to order one online.

The advantages:
-Much closer shave
-Less irritation
-Blades cost between $0.25-$1, not $6
-Shaving is a lot more enjoyable... more of an art than a chore

You'll probably want to get a badger hair brush and a decent cream as well (forget about the spray foam in a can...)

And if you're worried about technique, there's lots of resources out there... just search up "wetshaving" or "method shaving"

Grogador
07-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Hot water makes my sensitive baby smooth skin all red and irritated, hence why I recommended cold(er) water, doesn't have to be ice cold but it works much better for me personally.

Try here (http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mshave.html) too.

DeeK
07-22-2008, 04:07 PM
The trick to not getting razor burn is a few easy steps.
- Use a good shave gel. nivea or gillette sensitive are what I have found work pretty good.
- Use a sharp razor, the closer together the blades are positioned on the razor the better, fusion is great. A good way to tell that your razor is wearing out (especially with gillette series). That blue strip on the top of it, when that starts wearing through, you should change it for sure if you have not already.
- Shave with the grain if you have ridiculously sensitive skin.
- Heres the most important step. Use as few strokes as possible. The more often a razor goes over the same spot the worse the razor burn will be. I tend to push a little harder to make more surface of the razor contact more skin. Therefore less passes.
- Don't use a harsh aftershave. use a gel or lotion with moisturizer.

dragonone
07-22-2008, 04:59 PM
shave AFTER u take a shower
i use nivea shave gel, the new silver one, it's the best one so far (even compared to neutrogena, lab seires, various $$ brands i've bought at holt and sephora) and it's not too expensive
post shave remedy i use lab series, again not too $ and works very well for myself

signature7
07-22-2008, 05:01 PM
i just use tweezers...no cream.

adam c
07-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by signature7
i just use tweezers...no cream.

we're not talking about plucking your eyebrows princess

signature7
07-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by adam c

we're not talking about plucking your eyebrows princess

me neither...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/39/83346138_ddab8cbd5d.jpg?v=0

me with the "al borland".

Jynx
07-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Tend Skin Air Shave Gel and their after shave liquid are the best stuff on the market. Basically eliminates all razor burn and irritation.

pyroza
07-22-2008, 07:53 PM
I've always used a Mach 3 with generic shaving cream, shaving against the grain. I very rarely have to go over a spot more than once. Works for me.

ZorroAMG
07-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
FTW:

Merkur razor blade handle
http://www.edwinek.com/oud/images/Merkur34C.jpg

Merkur Platinum Stainless blades
http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving/grooming-accessories/merkur-srb1.jpg
Last as long as a regular mach 345643 blade (times 2 for both sides of a blade being usable, and they cost 8$ for 10 blades

Everything else shaves like absolute SHIT in comparison (besides a straight razor, which is just scary haha) but you will need to pay attention to the direction your hair grows to avoid razor burn....once that is figured out, the uber expensive pussy blades are crap.

mwmhong
07-22-2008, 08:43 PM
As many others have already posted, go with the classic double-edged safety razor.

It is an investment that will save so much more on replacement blades in the long-run (avoid the loss-leader business model), never goes out of style or becomes obsolete (Mach 3, Mach 3 Turbo, Fusion, etc). and does a much better job. :thumbsup:

As for blades, you can choose whichever brand, I prefer Feather myself.

Also make sure you get an alum block it stops bleeding from cuts fast. :D

You can buy nice shaving sets for a few hundred dollars, still a worthwhile investment in the long run.

http://www.classicshaving.com/page/page/522942.htm

smokedog
07-22-2008, 11:59 PM
Planning on buying this razor

Safety Razor (http://cgi.ebay.ca/WEISHI-WET-SHAVING-DE-SAFETY-RAZOR-10-DERBY-BLADES_W0QQitemZ370070713100QQihZ024QQcategoryZ35989QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting)

Pacman
07-24-2008, 05:14 PM
I've been using a Merkur HD razor for about a year now, and will never go back to those overpriced, crappy, plastic Gillette blades.

My razor was $25 and I bought 500 Derby razor blades for $50....so I'm set for many years. I didn't like the Merkur blades that ZorroAMG uses as I find them to be a bit dull for my thick beard......but there are lots of different brands of blades out there so it's easy to find something that will work.

I use a badger brush and some Proraso shave cream and I'm good to go.