PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Car off of Ebay..

ballah
07-22-2008, 10:59 AM
just gotta a quick question.. i ve been thinking of buying a vehicle off of ebay. The vehicle is located in the US.

has anyone ever bought a vehicle from the states off of ebay?? how hard was it to bring the vehicle over??

i know that there s a thread that has the step by step process on how to bring a vehicle in from the states, but i m mostly concerned with the Ebay part of things.

thanks in advance.

citylimits
07-22-2008, 11:27 AM
I'd see it in person, or contract a mechanic to do so before you bid

nbaker00
07-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Done it lots of times.
Just make sure it's with a reputable dealer and preferably not a private seller.
My company imports vehicles for people if you need any help with the actual importing and paperwork.

ballah
07-22-2008, 11:31 AM
the vehicles i ve been lookin at have all been from 2005-2008.

oh, thanks for the quick reply.

Kennyredline
07-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Make sure it's not "a picture" of a car that you're buying! lol
I've heard of people thinking it's the car in the photo they are getting, but it's the photo they're paying for.

Civ2NR
07-22-2008, 01:08 PM
- First off, make sure the vehicle is admissible into Canada (www.riv.ca)
- Only buy from a reputable seller/dealer ie. 100% positive feedback (or close to it) with many transactions. Check the feedback comments for what others have said.
- Definitely do a carfax verification and if there are any red flags walk away.
- Try to see it in person...if you plan on driving it back then this works fine but it may not be feasible.
- Have it third party inspected.
- Ask for lots of pics to identify exactly what you're getting and ask for service records/recalls/prior mechanical issues/etc.
- It's a bit of a gamble without seeing it but just try to be as informed as possible as to what you're buying, ask tonnes of questions.

ballah
07-22-2008, 06:58 PM
is there any states that cost more than other when bringing a vehicle over?? i hear it s best to buy a vehicle in nevada...

Civ2NR
07-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Some states will charge you state tax on the purchase price. I bought mine in Arizona and the dealer shipped it to Montana for me to pick up and bring across. If I took delivery in Arizona I would have been charged the state tax but because I didn't physically take delivery in that state I didn't get dinged.

I don't know what the requirements are for other states, including Nevada.