PDA

View Full Version : Beijing Olympics MEGATHREAD

Pages : [1] 2 3

rmk
07-22-2008, 12:18 PM
16 days to go. Lets try and keep all discussion in this thread. Sports related talk ONLY.

rmk
07-22-2008, 12:20 PM
http://en.beijing2008.cn/

xmattx8
07-22-2008, 03:56 PM
go canada :dunno: :zzz:

snowboard
07-22-2008, 03:59 PM
lawl i watched some canadian basketball vs korea and ive seen highschool kids drop more 3's.

LadyLuck
07-22-2008, 04:00 PM
these olympics are such a joke, the only thing thats keeping it remotely close to interesting is all the drama that surrounds it.

last i heard, they will not be serving black people in bars during the olympics..

Whats next?! :dunno:

schocker
07-22-2008, 04:04 PM
for the olympics, i just wait until the end, then i look how many countries are above canada and do a facepalm.http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/4194/facepalm1do1.gif

Grogador
07-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Summary:

- teams will be bringing their own food, as Chinese chicken has sufficient steroids that athletes would otherwise fail drug tests

- smog will result in slower times, less records set, heart attacks, etc.

- China will be monitoring all electronic communications, bugging rooms, stealing laptops, planting bugs on people/devices, etc.

- media will be shot.

Any more questions?

rmk
07-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Lets keep it positive people :rofl:

Grogador
07-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Chinese athletes won't be able to "defect" to wherever is hosting the Olympics? :D

mark4091
07-22-2008, 09:21 PM
I almost forgot it was going to happen. It's talked about enough, but nobody in Canada cares about summer games.

Either way I suppose I'll have to watch some stuff, mainly the PLA Civilian Shooting Competition.

Russians just can't keep up anymore.

Antonito
07-22-2008, 09:49 PM
The crowds at the table tennis events are going to be intense :D

Womens beach volleyball is going to be awesome.

Is that pole vaulting chick whose picture is going around the internet going to be there?

As you can tell, my priorities are not really on the athleticism of the Olympics :bigpimp:

Pihsiak
07-22-2008, 11:13 PM
BMX is going to be a new sport added this year.

I read that on the side of a McDonalds bag...

Rocky
07-22-2008, 11:16 PM
The only sport here that matters is the Olympic Soccer.

Forza Azzurri! I hope to see the young bloods for Italia rip it up. I'm not sure who's going but I'd love to see Foti, Acquafresca, G. Rossi, etc...

beecue
07-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Can't wait for bball .. I read it's one of the most wanted tickets after opening and closing ceremonies .. I forgot about qualifying :( .. HD should be nice too

TomcoPDR
08-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Anybody else getting ready like this guy/gal? :rofl:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/100_2217.jpg

Wonder if the girls in China will be as cool as the girls on red mile.

ajooo
08-04-2008, 03:14 PM
usa basketball ftw.

tm88
08-04-2008, 05:47 PM
So the chinese will take home 95% of the medals due to the fact they breathe that smog in all day long no problem. The american basketball team wont even be able to see the net, in turn leading into first round knock out.

oooo so true how noone would even care about these olympics if it wasnt for the drama.

kertejud2
08-04-2008, 05:49 PM
I don't know what to get excited for. The fireworks for the opening ceremonies look like they're going to be pretty damn epic, but from an athletic point of view this will probably be the most underwhelming Olympics in recent memory.

-Track and Field is in a pretty big rut, nobody respects it, there aren't any stars right now and no records are going to be set. The only excitement that will be coming from the track will be "How long until the winner gets stripped of their medal?"

-Swimming should be dominated by the U.S. again. It would be nice to have the same awesome competition with the Aussies like there was in Sydney, but it should be much of the same.

-Basketball could have some drama, seeing China make a push at home would be good, but I think the U.S. has their act together this time which means a snorefest is on its way

-Soccer; I don't really give a damn about it, there's nothing special about U23 soccer to me especially when it seems most of the players from the big countries are worried about getting hurt. And there just aren't enough hot soccer players on the women's side to want me to take any special interest (is Canada even in?)

-Then there's everything else, there are so many damn events in the Summer Olympics it makes it so that I just don't care. I'll probably watch the the triathalon, diving and cycling but that's about it. I'm looking forward to the controversy more than anything, its not like any records are going to be set.

So aside from the fireworks (and humourously mistranslated signs) I think these Olympics will be a bust, wake me up when we get to London (which will also probably be a bust). This is why the Winter Olympics are a hundred times better than the summer, but I guess not everybody can put on a show like Sydney did.

sexualbanana
08-05-2008, 09:41 PM
I think basketball's going to be very tight with a lot of quality teams with quality players. The USA is back in the race now that they figured out that they can't treat international games like a pick up game. Turkey, Croatia, Spain, Argentina, Greece, USA, Australia have very good teams running very good offenses, so as long as they can slow the pace to run a half-court offense and avoid any turnovers that would lead to a USA fastbreak, it'll be a very good contest.

sdiep
08-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Kind of off topic, but on the news last night, they were talking about the Chinese workers for the Beijing Olympics and the lack of human rights. I missed that segment, and I can't seem to find it on the internet.

Anyone have any pointers?

Super_Geo
08-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Princess*Precid
last i heard, they will not be serving black people in bars during the olympics..

Whats next?! :dunno:

Quit making shit up... where did you hear this? :rolleyes:

tobslau
08-06-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm looking forward to badminton,
not that i will be able to watch it at all in calgary.... :(
Hopefully they stream some of the matches online

Probably going to watch the eye appealing events like gymnastics and diving

Tho ping pong would be pretty awesome to watch on TV as well, but just like badminton, it will prob be on at like 3:30 am

kertejud2
08-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Quit making shit up... where did you hear this? :rolleyes: Well he's sort of right. Reports came out that bars were told to reject black patrons but it seems it was lost in translation in that 'black' didn't refer to colour as originally thought, but it referred to shady characters etc. However Mongolians were also part of this group that should be rejected so who knows whats up.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the original story was true as well, it is China, if we can do it they sure as hell can.

autumnrain
08-06-2008, 03:54 PM
anyone know the statisics on which countries lost money on the olympics? or was it every single one?
i dont think China can lose money cause they have soo much cheap labour.

holden
08-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by autumnrain
anyone know the statisics on which countries lost money on the olympics? or was it every single one?

I believe estimates put it at 400 billion yuan ($60 billion US dollars). They won't make that money back in tourism. It's more of an image thing.

kertejud2
08-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by autumnrain

Montreal remains the gold medalist in the financial disaster example, Los Angeles in '84 also was pretty embarassing IIRC.

China is a different beast mostly because this isn't really about spending tens of billions of dollars to host a sporting event, its a giant PR campaign for the world.

car
08-06-2008, 09:50 PM
badminton for sure, its going to be epic, lin dan and lee choon wei, i hope taufik does well too, defending champ

im looking forward to the olympics for the sports that dont have giant coperate sponsors and mega tournaments like basketball, soccer, tennis etc, and sports that dont get much exposure in north america, thats what its about for me,

its amazing how hard these guys work to win like 10,000 dollars as top prize

car
08-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by tobslau
I'm looking forward to badminton,
not that i will be able to watch it at all in calgary.... :(
Hopefully they stream some of the matches online

Probably going to watch the eye appealing events like gymnastics and diving

Tho ping pong would be pretty awesome to watch on TV as well, but just like badminton, it will prob be on at like 3:30 am

ps, badmintoncentral.com/forums
people record and upload to mediafire, great source, enjoy:D

dragonone
08-08-2008, 10:58 AM
well this is a calgary forum so i think it's fair to speak for calgary ONLY

here in hongcouver ppl are a lot more excited, not to mention asia

my gf is making me stay home to watch the ceremonies later, it's fucking nice out

The_Rural_Juror
08-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Is someone going to start an Olympic hotties thread?

Oldskool
08-08-2008, 11:22 AM
I like the new Beyond Symbol!

I'm feeling very Olympic today

l/l/rX
08-08-2008, 11:38 AM
anyone know where i can watch the opening ceremonies online? they looked pretty damn cool.

syeve
08-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Is someone going to start an Olympic hotties thread?

+1

5hift
08-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2

-Track and Field is in a pretty big rut, nobody respects it, there aren't any stars right now and no records are going to be set. The only excitement that will be coming from the track will be "How long until the winner gets stripped of their medal?"

What are you talking about? No previous Olympics have seen the world's fastest trio who are all close contenders for the Olympic men's 100 meters gold. Tyson Gay, Asafa Powell and the youngin
Usain Bolt are all stars and are going to put on a show. The top three of the only four people who have ever finished 100 meters inside 9.80 seconds are going to compete for the men's 100 meters crown. Seems a bit more interesting than usual to me. Not only will we see who is the fastest on the biggest stage, but who can handle the shittiest possible conditions they have ever run in.

holden
08-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

What are you talking about? No previous Olympics have seen the world's fastest trio who are all close contenders for the Olympic men's 100 meters gold. Tyson Gay, Asafa Powell and the youngin
Usain Bolt are all stars and are going to put on a show. The top three of the only four people who have ever finished 100 meters inside 9.80 seconds are going to compete for the men's 100 meters crown. Seems a bit more interesting than usual to me. Not only will we see who is the fastest on the biggest stage, but who can handle the shittiest possible conditions they have ever run in.

agreed, this is the most interesting 100-meters in a long time... plus there's that Chinese guy who won gold in the last 110-meter hurdles... he's the biggest athlete celebrity in China, after Yao Ming, and he's under more pressure than any athlete in the Olympics...

Antonito
08-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by holden

agreed, this is the most interesting 100-meters in a long time... plus there's that Chinese guy who won gold in the last 110-meter hurdles... he's the biggest athlete celebrity in China, after Yao Ming, and he's under more pressure than any athlete in the Olympics...

What's the story on this guy? It almost sounds like he took everybody, including the Chinese olympic commitees, by surprise at the 2004 games. Or is that just hype to make a more interesting story?

Either way, if he wins, he'll be a legend. If he loses, you couldn't pay me enough to be in his shoes

holden
08-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

What's the story on this guy? It almost sounds like he took everybody, including the Chinese olympic commitees, by surprise at the 2004 games. Or is that just hype to make a more interesting story?

Either way, if he wins, he'll be a legend. If he loses, you couldn't pay me enough to be in his shoes

I don't think he was a top contender when he won in Athens... but 2 years later he broker the world record (lost it not too long ago)...

when he won, it was a huge story in China... now he's mobbed everywhere he goes...

i think a large part of it is that asians usually never win in the glory sports like sprinting.. so some view it as a breaking of the stereotype that asian's can't run...

5hift
08-08-2008, 12:46 PM
The Girls of 2008 Olympic Beach Volleyball

http://www.coedmagazine.com/sports/12389

rmk
08-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Beach Volleyball FTW

kertejud2
08-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

Well its in a rut in the sense that the only thing people have focused on is the doping in the sport as opposed to the sport itself. The 100m sprint used to be the Summer Olympic event, now its been pushed to theback because of its own scandal.

Although the recent peak in popularity in the 100m was after Ben Johnson in Barcalona and Atlanta, he was just one star caught doping while recently it seems anybody who has won a prestigious race is getting caught. While the "hardcore" fans will still watch with much fervor, the sprints will just draw skepticism and apathy from the casual viewers who used to tune in en masse.

The Cosworth
08-08-2008, 04:22 PM
anyone else watching the opening ceremonies replay right now? pretty cool drumming set and 29 footprint fireworks

reiRei
08-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Oldskool
I like the new Beyond Symbol!

I'm feeling very Olympic today

HAHAH omg. I thought of this when I read your post
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/1/0/5/105eed7d706f20db19d0cc91bbdd3f99.jpg

and then that reminded me of the movie
4yAeLtIDBJI

dj_rice
08-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Anybody know any sites that have streaming Olympic coverage?All the links I've visited are US only

hks
08-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Anybody know any sites that have streaming Olympic coverage?All the links I've visited are US only

i'm sure you can stream coverage from cbc.ca

rmk
08-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Mens cycling is on right now.Very impresive to see them bike through Beijing. En route to the Great Wall

dragonone
08-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by The Cosworth
anyone else watching the opening ceremonies replay right now? pretty cool drumming set and 29 footprint fireworks

by far the best opening ceremony, china sure showed the world

... wait didn't someone say canada didn't care?

Trini
08-08-2008, 10:05 PM
yup best opening ceremony I've seen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7550802.stm

A student who tried to unveil a Tibetan flag during the first day of Olympic competition has been removed by officials from an equestrian event.

Christina Chan tried to display the flag, hidden under a Canadian flag, at the dressage in Hong Kong.

TomcoPDR
08-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by dragonone

by far the best opening ceremony, china sure showed the world

... wait didn't someone say canada didn't care?

That's Tai Chi thing was crazy :eek:

Where are they gonna find all them Chinese people in Vancouver to do that?

SilverRex
08-09-2008, 12:06 AM
:eek: you got to be kidding me,

this isnt olympics, its more like the 2nd coming of Christ. Thought I think God would be a million times that.

still, China went full head with this one, it will be difficult to beat this kind of opening for many decades to come, or at least they have insanely risen the bar ten folds.

last I read about this, China went on to take off millions of cars off the road to curb pollutions, as well they say they can stop the weather if it rains by firing rockets to nutralize the atmosphere.

just crazy stuff here.

:thumbsup: cant imagine how awesome it would be to be thre.

jay42w8
08-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Women's beach volleyball FTMFW! :poosie: :drool:

dragonone
08-09-2008, 12:50 AM
when i was watching cbc news they had clips of ppl outside theatres in vancouver and aberdeen was packed with ppl

yeah that tai chi performance was spectacular. there wouldn't be a hint of chinese in the winter olympics, but it wouldn't be fair to compare the two haha. i guess they would have native dances..... there's only a couple hundred years history in canada

TC2002
08-09-2008, 01:09 AM
That was a thrill to watch!

I agree with SilverRex about how they raised the bar. I think the thing that stunned me the most was how perfectly sychronized each artistic element was between each person in the acts, the music and technology. :eek:

rmk
08-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Does anyone know if the people in the 08 Olympic music video are Chinese celebrities?

CaptainReboot
08-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Did anybody see that set with Sarah Brightman? Was she singing in Mandarin?

BerserkerCatSplat
08-09-2008, 11:24 AM
http://www.ad.nl/multimedia/archive/00168/mysteryman_168711a.jpg

Anybody see this guy (top right, white t-shirt) walking with the Dutch team? Apparently he's not actually on the team but he managed to get by security and walk for half a lap before they figured it out and threw him out of the stadium. :rofl:

Super_Geo
08-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Trini

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7550802.stm

Good.

kertejud2
08-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Anybody see this guy (top right, white t-shirt) walking with the Dutch team? Apparently he's not actually on the team but he managed to get by security and walk for half a lap before they figured it out and threw him out of the stadium. :rofl:

In fairness to them they don't really have time to look at people when there's concealed flags about.

Now had he been wearing a 'Tin Tin in Tibet' t-shirt or something of that ilk I doubt he would have made it three steps.

Zephyr
08-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Good.

Bad, another idiot brainwashed.

barmanjay
08-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Grogador
Summary:.......
- China will be monitoring all electronic communications, bugging rooms, stealing laptops, planting bugs on people/devices, etc.

- media will be shot.

Any more questions?

I only saw part of the opening ceremonies and thought they were awesome (was with clients at the time)

I wanted to search and see if I could watch the rest,.. but it seems all the vids of the opening ceremonies have been pulled off the interwebz :(

D'z Nutz
08-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

HAHAHA! The grin on his face :rofl:

djayz
08-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by barmanjay

I only saw part of the opening ceremonies and thought they were awesome (was with clients at the time)

I wanted to search and see if I could watch the rest,.. but it seems all the vids of the opening ceremonies have been pulled off the interwebz :(

I just downloaded it in high def. Lots of torrent sites have it...check out eztv for the HD and non-HD copy.

barmanjay
08-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by djayz

I just downloaded it in high def. Lots of torrent sites have it...check out eztv for the HD and non-HD copy.

thx,.. checking it out now

:)

rmk
08-10-2008, 11:53 AM
mens basketball is on right now. usa vs. china.

KRyn
08-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Only sport I will be watching this year is the Olifting.. like every year ha.

But seriously the Olympics are kinda lame.

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Antonito
08-10-2008, 12:00 PM
I caught some of the mens gymnastics last night, and you know, for a bunch of limp wristed pansies, those guys are huge :D

jay42w8
08-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Lol, the announcer during the US China basketball game says he hopes China doesn't get interested in hockey...imagine that....a billion people, gotta be at least 30-40 of them who can play hockey damn well and challenge Internationally....

max_boost
08-10-2008, 04:12 PM
^^^

Chinese playing hockey? haha can't see that happening and those who grew up here in NA don't count.

Basketball is the most popular sport right now in China so if they get it together it should make for pretty competitive games in the future.

They didn't stand much of a chance today, only close because they were hitting all those 3's early on.

Still waiting for Canada's first medal!!

beecue
08-11-2008, 01:15 AM
finally watched the bball game .. then the 4x100m relay .. what a crazy finish :thumbsup:

why does China have 8 year olds in gymnastics :nut:

adam c
08-11-2008, 08:35 AM
pretty sad

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/medals

even third world countries have medals.. Canada=Loosers

DelSoln
08-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by beecue
finally watched the bball game .. then the 4x100m relay .. what a crazy finish :thumbsup:

The relay was amazing. That Bernard fellow really ate some major crow.

TYMSMNY
08-11-2008, 10:43 AM
wow.. look at China's weightlifting gold medals.... 4!!!

Eleanor
08-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by jay42w8
Women's beach volleyball FTMFW! :poosie: :drool:

I was severely dissapointed when I was flipping through the channels and saw beach volleyball on. I got all excited then I saw the teams (Mexico vs. Brazil) :barf:

I mean come on Brazil, you churn out supermodels by the truckload and that's the best you've got? :thumbsdow

The_Rural_Juror
08-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

I was severely dissapointed when I was flipping through the channels and saw beach volleyball on. I got all excited then I saw the teams (Mexico vs. Brazil) :barf:

I mean come on Brazil, you churn out supermodels by the truckload and that's the best you've got? :thumbsdow

Both girls on one of the European teams had rolls. WTF!

in*10*se
08-11-2008, 12:55 PM
http://dkl.posterous.com/olympic-2008-badminton-tv-sche

then

http://channelsurfing.net/

badminton... live... :drool: :drool: :drool:

CaptainReboot
08-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

Both girls on one of the European teams had rolls. WTF!

Haha..yeah. I think it was the Netherlands.

beecue
08-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by adam c

:werd: Need to learn something other than hockey

xLostx
08-11-2008, 02:08 PM
George approves of the Olympics

http://i33.tinypic.com/23gy4k3.jpg

SOAB
08-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se
http://dkl.posterous.com/olympic-2008-badminton-tv-sche

then

http://channelsurfing.net/

badminton... live... :drool: :drool: :drool:

I watched Bao Chun Lai win his match last night. that guy has some awesome angles with his shots!!

ajooo
08-11-2008, 03:09 PM
i think the US basketball team is just gonna dominate every team.

and anyone else thinks micheal phelps is gonna get his 8 gold medals?

max_boost
08-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by adam c
pretty sad

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/medals

Only one "o" for future reference.

Canadian Government=losers

Does the government even support amateur sports in this country? :dunno:

No where near the level of those 3rd world countries I bet.

max_boost
08-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by ajooo

and anyone else thinks micheal phelps is gonna get his 8 gold medals?

The French almost spoiled the party.

We're going to smash them. That's what we came here for

What an amazing swim by Lezak to pull it off by 0.02 secs haha

Well Phelps is going to win all the individual gold's, I think there is one more team swim though.

DelSoln
08-11-2008, 04:16 PM

I think Spain will pose a threat.

reese
08-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by DelSoln

I think Spain will pose a threat.

X2

sexualbanana
08-11-2008, 05:12 PM

I don't think 'dominate' is accurate. Like I've said in other posts, it's simply going to be a very tight tournament. Spain is a very strong team with a lot of solid talent. Greece's defense, their full court press especially, showed that they're capable of pressuring even the best of point guards.

Lithuania looked pretty strong from the clips I saw, and so did Argentina.

International basketball is about continous offensive sets and pick n rolls. The best teams in international basketball are amazing at pick n roll plays, which is where they will be able to keep things close with the USA. From what I saw in the USA vs. China game, the USA is still a little confused about how they want to defend pick n rolls. There are some guys hedging, some are switching, and some are going underneath screens. There's no consistency in what they're doing, and I think that will prove to be where they'll have the most trouble. They're warm up game against Australia showed it, and their pick n roll offense is nothing compared to the way Spain, Argentina, and Greece run theirs.

Aleks
08-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Waterpolo

Canada 0 Montenegro 12

:rofl:

Quizzes
08-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Here are lesser known nations with more medals than Canada:

Azerbaijan
Zimbabwe
Vietnam
Algeria
Tajikistan
Uzbekistan
Chinese Taipei (Taiwan)

ajooo
08-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Quizzes
Here are lesser known nations with more medals than Canada:

Azerbaijan
Zimbabwe
Vietnam
Algeria
Tajikistan
Uzbekistan
Chinese Taipei (Taiwan)

i was just making jokes about that with some of my buddies.

dragonone
08-12-2008, 12:48 AM
and they do not provide nearly as much funding, training, and support as a country like canada

rmk
08-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Canada is still with ZERO medals :thumbsdow

adam c
08-12-2008, 08:42 AM
I don't think Vietnam is a lesser known country... I mean everyone eats Pho

DJ_NAV
08-12-2008, 09:17 AM
India got their first ever individual gold! 10M shooting i think.

This guy got something like half million dollars already in gifts, got congrats by 20 politicians, 5 celebs, he got first class train tickets for his life. He also has a stadium being named after him now too.

That is good IMO.

SilverGS
08-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by dragonone
and they do not provide nearly as much funding, training, and support as a country like canada

They definitely don't have the facilities available like Canadians have available to them but support for athletes in Canada has not been very good for a long time.

A lot have to either liver really cheaply or maintain full time jobs just to have money to pay for training facilities. There isn't a lot of monetary support for Athletes in Canada.

Not saying that Vietnam or the other countries do this but China and other countries pick the best then basically pay for their living while they train 24/7 365 days a year.

I am hoping Canada gives enough support so Vancouver can be our best ever. We are also more of a Winter games country versus a summer games one.

Manhattan
08-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Racist spaniards! :thumbsdow

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2008/08/11/spain-basketball-ad_392.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/basketball/story/2008/08/11/olympics-basketball-spain-controversy.html

Aleks
08-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Manhattan
Racist spaniards! :thumbsdow

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2008/08/11/spain-basketball-ad_392.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/basketball/story/2008/08/11/olympics-basketball-spain-controversy.html

There's a thread on this already.

I am sure every single one of them is racist and hates Asian people :banghead:

Euro838
08-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by rmk
Canada is still with ZERO medals :thumbsdow

Maybe this is why Stephen Harper decided to not go to the Olympics. He'll probably get interrogated with questions on why we are doing so poorly.

Anyways, do we have any idea on when our medal hopeful will be?

rage2
08-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
Ya... Vancouver 2010 :rofl:.

Hakkola
08-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Ya... Vancouver 2010 :rofl:.

:rofl:

We should have just boycotted.

rmk
08-12-2008, 12:47 PM
yeah 2010 is when we should be able to pick up a medal or two. team canada 2008 beijing = useless

Aleks
08-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Euro838

Maybe this is why Stephen Harper decided to not go to the Olympics. He'll probably get interrogated with questions on why we are doing so poorly.

Women's soccer team has a chance.

Inzane
08-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
I am sure every single one of them is racist and hates Asian people :banghead:

I'm sorry but I can't seem to make the connection between making your eyes squinty and "hating" asians.

Has it occured to anyone that maybe they were just trying to be funny (even though it's apparently in poor taste)? :dunno:

Pulling the R-card just seems a little premature and possibly overkill.

eg. Is it rascist for someone to do the "walk like an egyptian" thing when they think of Egypt?

PS - please note I posted ^^^ before seeing most of the posts in the other thread, which I had forgotten about.