PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Renos

core_upt
07-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Here we go, the most broad, open-ended, and pretty much unreasonable question I could ask. How much does it cost to renovate a house!?!?!

We're looking to buy in a few different areas (Westside/inner city - Wildwood/Westgate-ish). There are quite a few homes that have some recent work done, or are all original, so they would need some updating/upgrading. Most are <1200 sqft bungalows.

Now, of course, the scope of this question is limitless. The prices in these areas range from the mid 300's to around 1.5M, some of which can be found in the upgrades made to the house.

Basically, what are general price ranges for:

Bathroom - new tub w/ shower, vanity, tile or slate
Kitchen - granite or concrete counters, cabinets, counters
Garage - building a double car garage from scratch - pad built and poured, frame, roof, shingles, power run to, doors, windows, the whole deal.
Basement - Framing/drywall, new carpet, 3pc bath (currently roughed in), done nice, but not over the top.

Again, just looking for ranges on mid-grade updates. Obviously we can run wild with this, but we wouldn't be looking to do any more than 60-80,000 in work. My parents redid their basement (torn to the studs, so new walls, new ceilings, fireplace, cork floors, new furnace HW tank, humidifier, paint, new 3 pce bath, ran all new electrical, heating vents to the floor, new windows, etc) for around 100K, but that was a pretty high end reno.

As far as what I am willing/able to do myself or with family: paint, drywall, carpet. Just the more basic things, so we'd be hiring professionals to do most of it. And I'd rather pay a good pro then some hack (myself included).

So, any ideas, experiences, thoughts, etc. throw them out there. Of course, pics of what was done would be cool to see too!

Thanks!

colinxx235
07-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Thats quite a broad range you are looking for, last summer my father redid 4 bathrooms (1 bath/shower, 1 jacuzzi, 1 shower), redid hardwood + added more, all bathrooms were granite, redid kitchen + granite, all new doors/trim/carpet etc. And I believe that was somewhere in the 70ish range. Although he is a homebuilder and did alot of stuff on his own. So depending on what you can complete yourself will save you alot of money. For what you are describing you are ballparking 140 on a rough estimate, but its all relative to the quality of upgrades and how big the house/area covered is...

barmanjay
07-22-2008, 01:01 PM
I'll tell you right now a basement development will start at 24kish for roughly 1000 sq/ft - very basic with ok carpet.

Kitchens are the most expensive rooms in any home

custom cabinetry runs anywhere from 200-600/linear foot (this includes top and bottom) and for granite counters,.. budget about 5-6k (always try to incorporate the same granite in all your counter spaces including bathrooms

Garage packages - you can purchase those for under 3k

and having a garage cribbed and pad poured,.. might be a couple of K. - but you'd have to probably arrange for digging,.. gotta make sure no utils run under otherwise no garage can be built.

Add wiring and etc you "can" spend 10k on a simple 2 car garage easily

Just for basic bathroom stuff starts at 7k for gut and all new - upgrading the pieces, infloor heating, and slate tile work,.. you'd be looking at the 10-15k mark,.. might even be able to find an inexpensive steam unit for the shower too. (closer to the 15k + mark)

I've been part of renos worth well over 80k for main floor and 50-75k for basements

Even did one backing on lake placid - 250k master suite reno (freaking waterfall bathtub with mood lighting)

But for something nice and mildly upgraded I can see 60-80k which includes a moderate basement

100k for a basement is a bit extreme I think, unless it's 5000 sq/ft with 9 ft ceilings

I'd expect it to be sound proof, wired for everything possible, furnished and a bathroom off every room there,.. LOL

Hope this helps

We can meet up and talk more about it if you like

lint
07-22-2008, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't think "cork floors" and "high end reno" go together

mac_82
07-22-2008, 01:10 PM
For a fully built garage you will probably be in the 8-12k range once all is said and done.

dropdat
07-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
For a fully built garage you will probably be in the 8-12k range once all is said and done.

Maybe if you do all the labour by yourself.

core_upt
07-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Sorry - the basement reno wasn't 100k alone - forgot it included all new windows upstairs and framing, wiring and insulation to the garage. Also, two rooms in the basement we're soundproofed through the walls and ceiling. One room wired for surround sound.

Good to know that garages are in the <15K ranges.

I kind of figured 70K into basement, 60K into kitchen and bathroom.

Thanks and keep 'em coming!

Whiley
07-22-2008, 02:08 PM
thats really the best way to get the price estimate you want, is to split up the zones your quoting on

garage packages are great value, if you have friends then getting the pad poured and package delivered is easy
if you dont have the tools or friends to help, then the constructed packages through a local company can be cost effective too, i've seen doubles go up (after pad is set) in as quickly as a weekend
that being said, last one we did (helping a friend) was 4 of us, and we finished it (roof, shingles, siding) in a "full" weekend

kitchens and baths vary the most, because of the materials & appliances
a nice island kitchen, granite counters ($1K), nice appliances and cabinets, then $60K is fair estimate
if electrical or plumbing re-routing, then add more $

if you have a un-finished basement, and plan on kitchen + bath renos on the main floor, then its also a good time to consider up dating an older house to balanced plumbing (hot and cold lines to each), before closing in the basement ceiling

flooring choices are huge now, i've put down a few engineered floors recently (hardwood surfaced laminate type) and they look amazing
many laminates are nice too, and you can do them your self even, cost can be under $3 sq foot

tile work i have found needs a good quality installer, man can you tell the difference! between an average install and a really good quality install, the results really show

$70K on a 1000 sq foot basement, from studs to finished is decent estimate, basic pre-hung doors & trim
you'll need to get a permit first of course, but thats easily done, and inspection done before the walls are closed in

one thing i've noticed lately (i do finishing and reno work) is that good quality contractors are hard to find? ask to see some examples of work and references (many people still dont)

it may take some searching to line up, and dont be surprised if they are booked ahead for a while

i've seen many no-show contractors lately too for some reason? so be really careful with the pre-payment that many small contractors try to press you into FYI
cost of materials in advance is okay, with a written contract in place, but labor up front should be minimal %

hope that helps

Originally posted by core_upt
Sorry - the basement reno wasn't 100k alone - forgot it included all new windows upstairs and framing, wiring and insulation to the garage. Also, two rooms in the basement we're soundproofed through the walls and ceiling. One room wired for surround sound.

Good to know that garages are in the &lt;15K ranges.

I kind of figured 70K into basement, 60K into kitchen and bathroom.

Thanks and keep 'em coming!

canuckcarguy
07-22-2008, 02:10 PM
If you're on a budget, learn to renovate. It's pretty easy to handle your own job if you're inquisitive and hard working. In my first house, I redid the basement, it was likely the first time I'd ever swung a hammer. Read enough books and internet articles on what you want to do, and you'll figure it out.

The only thing I didn't do myself was the drywall taping (there's nothing uglier than amateur drywall) and the gas line for the fireplace. I also got permits for everything, which meant that if I made mistakes, the inspectors pointed them out.

In my current house, I just finished my basement, including home office, new bathroom (there was no rough-in for one), home theatre, and rec room, it cost me roughly $26,000 for just over 2000 square feet. That included roughly $8,000 in labour to some labourers for the demo and heavy work, and money for the drywall contractor. It included all plumbing fixtures and cabinets for the bar, all the electrical (I went with about 35 potlights to compensate for a relatively low 7'10" ceiling), new electrical panel, 3-sided gas fireplace, knock-down texture on the ceiling, flooring, etc.

I got quoted between $68,000 - $85,000 for the exact same job I did myself in 3 months for under $30K.

Civ2NR
07-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Hey canuckcarguy, how much did it cost to get your plumbing roughed in for your basement bathroom? I'm developing mine on my own right now but was goingt o forfit the bathroom b/c of the plumbing not being roughed in.

danno
07-22-2008, 05:42 PM
the last basement i wired i did for $1200. it was a very basic layout, but included tv and telephone. find guys that will do it on the side like me.

also my dad just did his kitchen and a laundry room and it was $50000 or so.

canuckcarguy
07-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Civ2NR
Hey canuckcarguy, how much did it cost to get your plumbing roughed in for your basement bathroom? I'm developing mine on my own right now but was goingt o forfit the bathroom b/c of the plumbing not being roughed in.

I roughed it in myself. Cost me about $50 in various plumbing fittings and the pain of mixing about 20 bags of concrete in a wheelbarrow. I had to go about 30 feet from the nearest drain. I rented an electric jackhammer and just bought bags of concrete from Home Depot. If you're hiring grunt labour, by the way, this would be the time to do it...

It wasn't particularly complicated, except for the vent, but I got lucky with that, was able to go through an interior wall upstairs through to the attic. The venting's the trickiest part, I think, and lots of renovators without permits will just use those island vents, which aren't to code.

Even if you don't have the cash to install the bathroom now, you might as well rough it in. It's a weekend job, and a pain, but it means later you can throw a bathroom in when funds permit. If you aren't buying your plumbing fixtures yet, at least get the drain into the room you've designated for the bathroom - you'll need more exact measurements to fit a shower or tub.

And whatever you do, don't have a bathroom with a raised floor to avoid the rough-in - nothing makes a basement more like a basement than a shower and toilet a foot above the ground.

Heff
07-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Sweat Equity is definitely valuable if you have the skills to make it work.

I've been working on a home theater room in our basement since we moved into our house 3 years ago. Its been slow because we have been paying cash for all materials, rather than using credit to finance the reno. Now that I"m nearing the finish line, its all worth while.

Our builder pre-insulated and pre-framed the exterior of our basement, so I was able to get away with framing partition walls, roughing in electrical, and drywalling.

I went with a black suspended ceiling for the home theater for reasons of acoustics, and practicality in a light controlled environment.

I used DeltaFL underlay system with commercial grade carpet tiles ordered in from the US. It works well, and I'm very happy with it.

I figure I got a 400 sq. ft. home theater for about $12 000 including a 720p projector system, a 7.1 compatible home theater amp, and some borrowed speakers (borrowed from a buddy of mine who is also a home theater aficionado, until I get my set of Axioms) some EQ3 Sectional Couches for the 2 rows of seating (one row raised). and some gaming table furniture and built in storage.

Its been a while in the building, but totally worth while to have a 92" HD theater to watch movies and sports in.

cmyden
07-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Hey Heff,

Sounds great, I take it you already have your screen ?

If you don't, and you're looking for something cost effective, check out this thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=708240&pp=30) at AVS Forum.

Basically, you take a certain type of laminate (Wilsonart D354-60) which is available at Home Depot, Rona, etc, and cut it to the correct size. Cost is about $150.

Mount it on the wall, border it with black velvet, and voila, you have a screen that provides as good a picture as the $2000-$3000 screens. This is all based on the testing done by home theater enthusiasts on the forum.

I built one for my Sanyo PLV-Z4, and I gotta say, it's freaking sweet.

Heff
07-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by cmyden
Hey Heff,

Sounds great, I take it you already have your screen ?

If you don't, and you're looking for something cost effective, check out this thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=708240&amp;pp=30) at AVS Forum.

Basically, you take a certain type of laminate (Wilsonart D354-60) which is available at Home Depot, Rona, etc, and cut it to the correct size. Cost is about $150.

Mount it on the wall, border it with black velvet, and voila, you have a screen that provides as good a picture as the $2000-$3000 screens. This is all based on the testing done by home theater enthusiasts on the forum.

I built one for my Sanyo PLV-Z4, and I gotta say, it's freaking sweet.

Thanks! I already have a screen. I am also already a fan of the AVS forums. :)

barmanjay
07-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Heff
Sweat Equity is definitely valuable if you have the skills to make it work.

Definitely a true statement

BUT

If you don't have the skills - DON"T DO IT!

being a general contractor and also now in real estate, I have seen such TERRIBLE homeowner basement jobs that have actually decreased the value of homes, because the development was so poorly done.

Make sure you pull your permits/inspections aswell, solidifies a bit more that quality work has been done.

A useable layout is key aswell.

Passed up an awesome deal for buyers who loved a house (25k below avg market value), but because the basement development was soo poorly layed out, they passed on it - didn't want the headache to demolish and re-develop.

SI_futbol
07-23-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm in sales at directbuy. the membership would benifet you quite a bit actually.
Bathroom - new tub w/ shower, vanity, tile or slate
for ur bathroom ur getting atleast 40% of ur fixtures and faucets
companies like kohler, moen, hansgrohe, grohe, price pfister, delta, brizo etc
Kitchen - granite or concrete counters, 35% off ur counters. Cabinets, is fuking huge, 63% off retail on kitchen craft
and basically anything else u'd need furniture is over 50%.

i've PM'd u, let me kno if u have questions.

Heff
07-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay

Passed up an awesome deal for buyers who loved a house (25k below avg market value), but because the basement development was soo poorly layed out, they passed on it - didn't want the headache to demolish and re-develop.

This is my basement layout:

http://www.usertest.shawbiz.ca/hometheater/basement-layout.gif

These are some home-theater construction pics:

The Wet Bar area - in progress:
http://www.usertest.shawbiz.ca/hometheater/bar2.gif

Wetbar Sink Detail:
http://www.usertest.shawbiz.ca/sinkbowl2gif.gif

Games-Table area:

http://www.usertest.shawbiz.ca/hometheater/gametable-preview.gif

Media Storage Area, projection screen just to the right of this view:
http://www.usertest.shawbiz.ca/hometheater/storage2.gif

We're just finishing up the ceiling and soffit area where the projector-barn is.

http://www.usertest.shawbiz.ca/hometheater/soffit-bar.gif

This is at the end over the Wet Bar area.

JordanLotoski
07-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Iam currently renovating one of my investment properties in Lake bonavista estates..its a 1700sq foot bungalow..we are spending 125,000 on reno'ing just the main floor..

I have a great contractor if you want i can PM you his number.

Danish
07-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi,

I'd like to do some work on my basement later on in the year. The drywalling and insulation have been installed and just the taping and finishing needs to be done.

Could you also PM me the number of your contractor? Thanks.

barmanjay
07-23-2008, 03:16 PM
You can ask Tik Tok about my drywalling skillz ;)

just helped him with a 3 year drywalling project,.. LOL

only took me a few days + I textured

Heff
07-23-2008, 03:19 PM
I hate drywall mudding.

My OCD Perfectionist really hurts my ability to step away from a task that doesn't lend itself well to perfectionism before completion.

Tik-Tok
07-23-2008, 05:57 PM

being a general contractor and also now in real estate, I have seen such TERRIBLE homeowner basement jobs that have actually decreased the value of homes, because the development was so poorly done.

Hey man! You told me it was a decent job for my first basement ever :cry:

You can ask Tik Tok about my drywalling skillz ;)

just helped him with a 3 year drywalling project,.. LOL

only took me a few days + I textured

Now now, the entire basement was 3 years, 1 year for demolition (10,000lbs of plaster/lathe/brick to the dump), 1 year for framing/electrical... then another year of humming and hawing before I started drywalling.

But yes, mad skills this man has with drywall... made me look bad in front of my wife :thumbsdow

barmanjay
07-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
But yes, mad skills this man has with drywall... made me look bad in front of my wife :thumbsdow

i wasn't talking about your basement,.. yours has a nice open layout, with a 2nd master suite + ensuite bath. ;)

Sorry about making you look terrible infront of your wife, i guess i could've done a worse job for more so i could fix later,..lol

Tik-Tok
07-23-2008, 07:21 PM

i wasn't talking about your basement,.. yours has a nice open layout, with a 2nd master suite + ensuite bath. ;)

Sorry about making you look terrible infront of your wife, i guess i could've done a worse job for more so i could fix later,..lol

lol, nope it's ok, perfect as is :thumbsup:

fast95pony
07-27-2008, 11:29 AM
I've just started our basement using a Contactor. Basement is 550 sq ft , adding a bedroom/office,laundry room,bathroom (already roughed-in), a family room,and some storage.
Total budget with cork flooring,heated bathroom floor,10 pot lights,and some pre-wiring for speakers is around $36K.
Our contractor has been great so far..

danno
07-27-2008, 11:58 AM
pm me if anyone needs some journeyman electrical skills. i'll be starting my basement home theater project in about 2 months.

:thumbsup: