PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 2006 BMW 330I impressions

blktopbig28
07-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a 06 330I for my wife. We have a baby on the way so she will be utilizing it as our family vehicle, and as such will not likely be looking to extract 100% of car's capabilities. What I'm looking for is input on how practical the car is in regards to day to day "family" use.

If you can provide feedback on the following areas that would be very much appreciated.

1) amount of useful cargo space, is the trunk big enough to fit large stroller and other baby items?
2) back seat big enough to comfortably fit baby seat?
3) observed fuel economy
4) cars behavior in winter driving, does it inspire confidence if fitted with winter tires?
5) maintanence costs
6) relationship with the dealerships in town for warranty or service calls
7) little misc things that piss you off that you wish you knew prior to purchase. Probably not enough to change purchase decision but annoying nevertheless. Ie: brakes are too grabby, flimsy cup holders, seats uncomfortable for long trips, excess wind noise, lackluster stereo performance, etc...

Aleks
07-22-2008, 02:29 PM
I had one for a short time. I don't have a baby but I'll try and answer some questions. The trunk is big should be able to fit a stroller.

I am 6'1" and found the interior pretty cramped. My GTI has way more room inside. Also back seat is pretty small but should be ok for a baby seat.

The car itself was great. Manual trans was a bit rough changing from 1st to 2nd due to a clutch delay valve but if you're getting an Auto it shouldn't be an issue.

Winter driving is just fine in the city with traction control and winter rubber. One last thing is I always regreted not getting the 335i for a few more bux and way more power.

heavyD
07-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
I had one for a short time. I don't have a baby but I'll try and answer some questions. The trunk is big should be able to fit a stroller.

I am 6'1" and found the interior pretty cramped. My GTI has way more room inside. Also back seat is pretty small but should be ok for a baby seat.

The car itself was great. Manual trans was a bit rough changing from 1st to 2nd due to a clutch delay valve but if you're getting an Auto it shouldn't be an issue.

Winter driving is just fine in the city with traction control and winter rubber. One last thing is I always regreted not getting the 335i for a few more bux and way more power.

You didn't have that car or the S2K long. Didn't like them?

blktopbig28
07-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Aleks,

I've considered getting the 335I as well but the price difference is still outrageous. Probably a 10K difference between 06 and 07 so although I would love to get my hands on the 07, not sure if my pocket book can justify it.

Now if the difference shrinks to 5K, then it would seriously be tempting.

Tom

nbaker00
07-22-2008, 03:51 PM
How about that G35X Tom?;) ;)

B17a
07-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Speaking from an '07 335 standpoint, I'd say back seat is adequate for a car seat (I've tried). Trunk is small though, if you have a bigger stroller it might be tight. I find even fitting 2 or more golf bags in there tight. Fuel economy is fine, however I don't drive particularly fuel efficient, something about twin turbo that makes me run every gear hard! :D Winter tires on it are fine, its not a 4x4 but if you're easy on the gas pedal you'll do fine, I've gone through 1.5 winters now ok. Maintenance is alright, and Calgary BMW take good care of me. Other than that no real complaints, love the car, wouldn't trade it for anything in that comparable range.

civic_rida
07-22-2008, 04:02 PM
I have a e90 325i . Went out for the weekend to radium with the girlfriend filled the trunk up pretty good. Personally i think the car is to small if you have kids. I also find my acura to be way more comfortable to take on a long trip.

blktopbig28
07-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Norm,

I haven't received the email from you re: list of G35X's...

Also, there is not that much of a price difference between an 06 330I and a 07 G35, and my preference would probably be a bimmer.

blownz
07-22-2008, 04:33 PM
I have an 06 325 and a 2 year old and a 2 month old so I have a forward facing car seat and a base for an infant carrier in the back so I can answer most of your questions pretty well:

1) amount of useful cargo space, is the trunk big enough to fit large stroller and other baby items?

The bulky strollers that use the infant carriers do fit in the trunk, but the trunk needs to be empty and with Graco strollers they need to be turned upside down to fit in. Once in, there is plently of room for a diaper bag and some shopping.

2) back seat big enough to comfortably fit baby seat?

Back seat is big enough for all types of car seats. With the base and carrier that you will have in the begining, you will likely put it on the passenger side and you will have to have the passenger seat fairly far forward and upright in order to swing the arm down on the carrier. Once down there is plenty of room to move the seat back or recline. Forward facing car seat is no problem behind the driver or passenger.

Rear facing toddler seat is the only problem. It will have to be on the passenger side and the seat will need to be far forward and upright with no opportunity to recline. So that ~6 month stage will suck.

3) observed fuel economy

I have a different version of the motor, but the mileage #'s are similar. I average around 9.5-10L/100km in town. Around 550-600km per tank. Highway nets an extra 150ish km per tank.

4) cars behavior in winter driving, does it inspire confidence if fitted with winter tires?

I had a rwd E46 before this one and both are excellent in the winter. With the E46 my wife winter drove the car several times before she found out it was rwd (thought it was fwd).

5) maintanence costs

4yr/80k nothing, after that, oil changes are less than $150 which isn't bad for the approximately once a year you need one. And I just had rear brakes done on my car (pads and rotors) and the total was $405 which isn't bad imo for a dealership.

6) relationship with the dealerships in town for warranty or service calls

I am in Edmonton and have no problems but I have read on here Calgary is apparently very different in this regard.

7) little misc things that piss you off that you wish you knew prior to purchase. Probably not enough to change purchase decision but annoying nevertheless. Ie: brakes are too grabby, flimsy cup holders, seats uncomfortable for long trips, excess wind noise, lackluster stereo performance, etc...

Flimsy cup holders are probably the biggest one you mentioned but I don't typically have a drink in the car unless I am on the highway and then the cup holders are fine.

My biggest problem which I knew before I bought was space. It is tight now with 2 kids. I basically can't take the car out of town unless I can do without a stroller which isn't too often. I have a full sized suv so it isn't really an issue for me aside from paying double for gas. But if this is your only car and you plan on having a second child in the near future I would really make sure you can deal with the space. If you can, the car is great. I almost went to an Accord/Camry/Altima/etc when I sold my E46 and I am glad I didn't. The extra space would have been nice but this car is just so much better to drive day in day out. I would have been really depressed in one of them I think.

Aleks
07-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by blktopbig28
Aleks,

I've considered getting the 335I as well but the price difference is still outrageous. Probably a 10K difference between 06 and 07 so although I would love to get my hands on the 07, not sure if my pocket book can justify it.

Now if the difference shrinks to 5K, then it would seriously be tempting.

Tom

Sorry I guess the difference is a bit more than a few bux. When I was looking it was around 10K as well. I bought at a worst possible time too just before the big drops due to influx of US cars.

Originally posted by heavyD

You didn't have that car or the S2K long. Didn't like them?

The 330I was the nicest car I have owned. Really smooth and refined. It was almost too nice, I mean I would rev the car to redline and you could barely hear it and you couldn't feel any engine vibration or anything. That and it was pretty slow. People still shake their heads when I tell them I gave that up for the GTI.

S2K was probably the funnest car I've owned but I hated it if I had to drive it for more than 20min at a time. For some reason I like the ITR a lot more even tho they have similar hi strung engines.

Canmorite
07-22-2008, 07:30 PM
What about a 3-series wagon?

gpomp
07-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
People still shake their heads when I tell them I gave that up for the GTI. should've taught the wife how to drive stick :rofl:

Aleks
07-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Doesn't matter, given an option again I'd get the Twin Clutch 3 series over manual every time.

JordanLotoski
07-22-2008, 11:30 PM
I have an 06 330i, 2 kids, one in a baby seat...personally i love it..I have yet to have a car for an entire lease period, this 330 will be my first. I dont think i have one single complant about it execpt its not at fast at my 335i coupe:thumbsup:

blktopbig28
07-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Aside from the introduction of the 3.5L twin turbo, is there any other significant difference between the 06 330I vs 07 335I?

Because the 10K difference is quite a bit to pay for additional 50hp.

Aleks
07-23-2008, 11:34 AM
The only reason the difference is 10K is the year. When new they were only 2K or so apart I think.

The difference on paper is 50 hp but in reality in Calgary it's probably closer to 80-100 hp would be my guess.

blktopbig28
08-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Well... I ended up buying the 06 330I for my wife. All I can say is WOW!!! It's been about a week and she's LOVING the car. First time in her life where she actually looks forward to driving.

As for my impressions, the car is definitely impressive. My first reaction when I drove the car is... man it's slow. Given that I drive a high powered WRX, it's quite a power difference. But the more time I spend in the driver's seat, I slowly begin to realize what the fuss is all about. It just feels right, everything from seating position to brake response is tailored for the driver. Would I give up my subbie for the bimmer? No, but I don't have to since I can drive either one anytime I want now.

Thanks to all those that responsed to my original query, your feedback helped in our purchase decision.

Tom

Quickstrike
08-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Aside from the introduction of the 3.5L twin turbo...

The 335i actually has a twin-turbocharged 3.0L engine.

Well... I ended up buying the 06 330I for my wife. All I can say is WOW!!! It's been about a week and she's LOVING the car. First time in her life where she actually looks forward to driving.

Congrats! I am a big bimmer fan myself.