PDA

View Full Version : Infection in bone...Anyone ever have to deal with this?

ekguy
07-23-2008, 01:54 AM
Well due to a botched surgery I may now need another surgery to fix the mess results of the second surgery on my ankle...But they think I may possibly have an infection in my bone which would be a bad thing from what they say.

This is a comparison of before and after the second surgery.
First surgery was at 16 to fix the bone. Second was this year to remove the hardware that was starting to move and cause pain.

Now I may need a third and hopefully final surgery to fix the fact that the last doctor left most of it in there....

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/Gravy_83/surgery.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/Gravy_83/surgery2.jpg

How the hell do you get an infection in a bone anyways. Aren't infections like organisms that infect a wound or a cut. Just don't like the sound of that at all.

Darkane
07-23-2008, 02:14 AM
Bone marrow infection most likely.

Dude that sucks, I'm not doc but take lots of good quality fish oil. It will reduce the inflamation and help with the pain till the surgery will clear it all up.

eur0
07-23-2008, 12:46 PM
I fractured my finger and got an infection, they said if it didn't reside after 5 days that I would have to go to hospital to get an iv. Thankfully my finger healed, hopefully its the same case for you.

Kritafo
07-23-2008, 12:57 PM
yup...I ended up in the hospital waking up and hearing a Dr talking to an intern saying that if it didn't clear up they would amputate.

But the IV drugs did the trick. But now many years later the Dr wants to go back in and clean up some of the mess...but I am too chicken now.

broken_legs
07-23-2008, 08:28 PM
can we start a thread of beyond members' x-rays?

Sucks to hear about your bone infection. Good luck!

1slow7
07-23-2008, 08:32 PM
i've had that with a botched root canal, the infection spread into my jaw....

the absolute worst pain.... ever....

ekguy
07-25-2008, 12:52 AM
yeah I'm on oxycocets for pain right now and they make me nauseous but it's better than the pain in my foot. I can't move it even close to as fast as my left foot. And my right foot is my leading foot, or strong foot or whatever it's called. The only way I can describe the pain to my doctor was to tell him that my foot just does not feel right.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but to me it does. It's like a mix of the pain I felt right after the initial break years ago, the pain I felt right after the surgery earlier this year and also some new weird pain throughout my whole foot.

I know there is doctors on here so I'm hoping at least one can chip in with an opinion on this cuz I'm starting to freak out from the pain in my foot all the time.

1slow7
07-25-2008, 12:55 AM
it's going to get worse unless you get it taken care of....

my situation progressed into a worse and worse situation, i was literally on the verge of OD'ing on T3's because it was the only thing that kept my sanity during the day, and gave me a couple hours of sleep during the night....

i feel your pain dude, rough times....

ekguy
07-25-2008, 01:00 AM
the pain is mostly tolerable most times I take the pain meds when it get's out of hand a bit. The situation is being taken care of though. Going for a bone scan hopefully soon at Rockyview and then from that point on I don't know what will happen. I've asked to see a different surgeon but my doctor is heartset on sending me to the same one who left all the hardware in my bone and stitched me up....So we'll see. I just hate knowing my ankle will never be what it was before it gave out on me twice today. Once while playing b-ball with my godson (just shooting not running around since I can't) and then again when getting out of the shower it gave out on me and I fell on the wall. My doctor said the ankle giving out on me is because my ankle is always in pain and the years of pain have made me numb to it that my nerves are always being assaulted by pain that I may not feel and when it gets to a point where it's too much he said my nerves will tell my muscles to shut down in anticipation of pain that may or may not be coming...sounds weird but I believe him because my ankle gives out on me quite often, like I'll be walking and it just gives out...It's starting to be quite worrying sometimes...

ekguy
07-25-2008, 01:01 AM
I also agree to the xray thread haha. if it can be started I'll contribute mine to it hehe.

Ihatetowait
07-25-2008, 01:02 AM
How did he snap a bolt removing it?

Dont they use titanium!?

ekguy
07-25-2008, 01:22 AM
it's been in there since i was 16 but apparantly some movement in the screw caused it to rub against either tendons and/or nerves causing severe pain. This caused what I believe he said was an ulcer or something or other started forming around the screw head sticking out of my bone so it had to come out.

Operation was supposed to be 5 minutes, cut me open, unscrew the hardware, then stitch me up.

What happened was he cut me open, tried to take it out, stripped the screw, so he drilled into it such as someone would any screw that was stripped then he snapped the scewhead trying to do that, at which point he drilled around it to basically try and get the whole area of bone containing the screw out but then when he tried to snap the last little bit of bone that was attached behind the screw it snapped and the rest stayed in there...All in all i was supposed to be under for 5 minutes but it took 55 minutes.

broken_legs
07-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
I also agree to the xray thread haha. if it can be started I'll contribute mine to it hehe.

Done!:thumbsup:

JAYMEZ
07-26-2008, 01:41 PM
it's been in there since i was 16 but apparantly some movement in the screw caused it to rub against either tendons and/or nerves causing severe pain. This caused what I believe he said was an ulcer or something or other started forming around the screw head sticking out of my bone so it had to come out.

Operation was supposed to be 5 minutes, cut me open, unscrew the hardware, then stitch me up.

What happened was he cut me open, tried to take it out, stripped the screw, so he drilled into it such as someone would any screw that was stripped then he snapped the scewhead trying to do that, at which point he drilled around it to basically try and get the whole area of bone containing the screw out but then when he tried to snap the last little bit of bone that was attached behind the screw it snapped and the rest stayed in there...All in all i was supposed to be under for 5 minutes but it took 55 minutes.

Wow , remind me never to go to your Doctor , jesus christ.. Anyways I would go get what you need to get done! Dont wait on things , thats the worse thing you can do!

dj_rice
07-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Are you willing to part out your infected leg?I have someone interested

mobius
07-26-2008, 02:57 PM

I'm not a doctor, but I can see why it didn't work. When they put it in originally, it would make a hole the size of the screw threads. After being in there for so many years, the bone has healed and hardened around the skinnier screw shaft. Trying to reverse that out would be impossible, because the threads have no place to go. They're not designed to carve their way back out, not to mention you can't apply the pressure necessary to do so.

Had there been threads the entire length of the screw, it would have come out like nothing.