PDA

View Full Version : Gluten sensitivity

The Cosworth
07-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Hey, Does anyone have this?

I think I may have a sensitivity to it, or just developed one.

I typically take oat meal (instant from safeway) to work most mornings for breakfast to eat at my desk. I have been noticing lately that my body doesnt want to process it and I feel queezy and stomach aches for a while after.

What should I remove from my diet to see if I feel better, could it just be a sensitivity to the amount of processed sugars that are in the oatmeal? or could it be to Gluten?

I haven't really noticed anything else.

edit: I have recently given up smoking and drinking coffee

schocker
07-23-2008, 01:06 PM
if it is it is mainly to gluten, i would say go to the doctor and get it checked out as it could be celiac. some of my realtives have it and had to change their diets drastically.

bspot
07-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Is it me, or is celiac the new AIDS?

It seems everyone is getting it now, and I honestly start to wonder if it's completely made up BS.

schocker
07-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Is it me, or is celiac the new AIDS?

It seems everyone is getting it now, and I honestly start to wonder if it's completely made up BS.
maybe people are just starting to notice it more or something like that. if it runs in a family though there is a very good chance multiple family members will end up getting it so that adds to the numbers.

bspot
07-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by schocker

maybe people are just starting to notice it more or something like that. if it runs in a family though there is a very good chance multiple family members will end up getting it so that adds to the numbers.

Yeah when I was a kid I knew a couple people like that, but they had it pretty much their whole life. Now it seems like suddenly every 20 something year old can't handle wheat suddenly, and I just find it pretty odd.

schocker
07-23-2008, 01:39 PM
yah, some are quite mild and just an irritation, but others get pretty sick from gluten. some are probably just assuming they have it if they get a little bit of an upset stomach. it is just like having an allergy and when they go out to eat and such they have to check everything over because mostly everything has flour in it.

Kritafo
07-23-2008, 01:55 PM
celiac is showing up more because people are waaay more aware of their bodies. They don't even have to do a biopsy to confirm celiac anymore. They can do a simple blood test.

First thing your Dr will do is an elimination diet. It will radically change your life style and take months to feel better. on the Plus side, it's much easier to shop for Gluten free products than it was 20 years ago.

The Cosworth
07-23-2008, 02:01 PM
^^ yeah talking to a couple of the old farts in my office I am going to try and have a better breakfast and see if that helps.

Seeing as I worked at Starbucks/Tim Hortons for 6 years while I was in school and smoked on and off since I was 16 my body could just be getting pissy because I have drastically changed my intake of those two things.

Kritafo
07-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Better breakfast than oatmeal, okay not the instant stuff, but go buy some good old fashion oatmeal like the PC steel cut oatmeal.

It's low fat, it's naturally sweet, cancer fighting, good protein... Just add some fresh berries have it will milk and your good to go.

If you are celiac the more glutens you put in your body, the higher the risk of cancer goes up. It can lead to malnutrition, and many other problems.

Regardless if you don't feel better go to a Dr.

barmanjay
07-23-2008, 02:33 PM
I have a buddy with a gluten problem

basically he can't have any breads - wheat/flour etc.

otherwise he feels the same as you,.. but more to the point where he would have to go to the hospital.

He would go to McD's and order a burger without the bun.

no more donuts

no toast

Poor bastard

on a lighter note,.. I was watching the news a while back and there is a Gluten Free restaurant somewhere in Calgary.

But seeing as you just gave up smoking,.. your body will be adjusting like crazy.

After I quit smoking, within 3 months I developed a lactose intollerance that was almost uncontrollable.

Anything with dairy products would go right through me almost instantly.

Now I can handle 1%, sometimes 2% milk and I'm fine.

Kritafo
07-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Sorry I am going to keep budging in this was on chowhound just a few days ago for Celiac resources

Calgary resources and stores: http://www.calgaryceliac.com/ <--their site has a list of GF friendly restos put together by members

Community Natural Foods: http://www.communitynaturalfoods.com/

Earth's Oven: http://www.earthsoven.com/ 2133B - 33 Ave. S.W.
Marda Loop, also available at Community Natural Foods...

Great Canadian Superstore: Has a decent selection of GF products in their natural foods aisle.

Lakeview Bakery www.organicbaking.com 6449 Crowchild Trail South (south end of Lakeview Shopping Centre) their GF products are also carried at Amaranth, Community Natural Foods, Co-op and Planet Organic.

Kinnikinnick Foods: http://www.kinnikinnick.com/

Planet Organic: http://www.planetorganic.ca/ourstores...

Darkane
07-23-2008, 04:07 PM
I doubt you have gluten allergies man.

General oats are not gluten, but MAY come into contact with gluten during processing. Try some gluten free oats.

If you're still eating starchy/grainy carbs in general, you're not allergic to gluten.

Again like I said in a diabetes thread, This is a perfect excuse to start eating a Paleo or Keto style diet.

We weren't designed to eat a lot of the refined sugars and starches we eat today.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

The only addition I would make is to keep some Dairy. I'd rid milk just because of all the lactose/lactase.

The Cosworth
07-23-2008, 04:23 PM
^^ yeah good point, I can eat bread and buns no problems. Fries give me a major stomach ache, but that could be the intense amount of fats.

I still think I should eat healthier, I had three friends parents die in this last month hence why i quit smoking and drinking. I want my mid-life to actually be 40 not 27 like my friends dad just had. :(

84 318i
07-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
celiac is showing up more because people are waaay more aware of their bodies. They don't even have to do a biopsy to confirm celiac anymore. They can do a simple blood test.

First thing your Dr will do is an elimination diet. It will radically change your life style and take months to feel better. on the Plus side, it's much easier to shop for Gluten free products than it was 20 years ago.

Not true.

Biopsy and subsequent Marsh typing of the sample is still the gold standard for celiac diagnosis. IgA (and IgG) TtG and EMA blood test are good but not perfect. Still not accepted by the medical community as diagnostic.

Elimination diet ISN'T the first thing any self respecting doctor will do. If he feels the symptoms are suggestive of celiac he will order a blood test (cheap and fairly accurate). If the blood test comes back suggestive of the disease a biopsy will be performed by a qualified gastroenterologist.

Good try though...

84 318i
07-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
I doubt you have gluten allergies man.

Celiac isn't an allergy, rather a gluten mediated enteropathy.

And please, for the love of god if you think you have celiac go and see a doctor. Putting yourself on a GFD without a doctor advising you to is stupid. The diet is expensive, hard to following, and makes getting proper nutrition more of a struggle. Why subject yourself to a life of box reading if you don't have the disease?

The Cosworth
07-23-2008, 06:01 PM
^^ yeah I will try and eat a better breakfast and eat healthier for the next little bit.

I will wait until my body stabalizes after quiting coffee and cig's then see where i am at.

I just typed my symptoms into google and the first thing that came up was celiac hence why I put the question out.

Unknown303
07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by The Cosworth
^^ yeah I will try and eat a better breakfast and eat healthier for the next little bit.

I will wait until my body stabilizes after quiting coffee and cig's then see where i am at.

I just typed my symptoms into google and the first thing that came up was celiac hence why I put the question out.

Yeah i don't see you having Celiac. IF you did you'd be in a hell of a lot more pain after eating buns or anything with gluten. I know a girl who can have trace amounts of gluten on something and feels horribly... horribly sick.

You know Mocha's have coffee in them right?:whipped:

The Cosworth
07-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Yeah i don't see you having Celiac. IF you did you'd be in a hell of a lot more pain after eating buns or anything with gluten. I know a girl who can have trace amounts of gluten on something and feels horribly... horribly sick.

You know Mocha's have coffee in them right?:whipped:
^^ yeah today was the first day :(

was really buzzed.

Actually as an update I had some eggs for breakfast this morning and left out the shitty oatmeal packets and I felt a lot better

Unknown303
07-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Why cut out coffee anyways. Its not bad for you, and if you stop drinking it after lunch it shouldn't effect your sleeping patterns at all.

Just seems a little silly to have a drastic change in diet like a massive reduction in caffeine while "quiting smoking" No wonder guts not doing well in the morning. Another idea is munch on a banana for breakfast, not the only thing but its loaded with carbs which will help for a breakfast food.

Canmorite
08-03-2008, 07:32 PM
I found out I had Celiac about 2 years ago, and my doctor said it was a common condition that develops among people with Diabetes. (I'm type I).

It was a huge adjustment, and I still miss good tasting food, but you get used to it. There are some wicked breaks (Kinnikinnick Foods) and other treats out there. Community Foods on 10th ave downtown has a big 'ol gluten free section :thumbsup: