PDA

View Full Version : Do Police have speed limits?

Civ2NR
07-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Yesterday driving home from work west-bound on Crowchild by Nose Hill (just beside the Crowfoot dodge dealer) I was sitting in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic when in the opposite direction a CPS car came over the crest of the hill, with lights on (no siren), doing what I would guess to be in excess of 140km/h. No doubt he was responding to an emergency of some sort that required immediate attention.

The question of do police have speed limits came to mind because this was through an active construction zone (ie. 50km/h posted limit). Now, don't get me wrong, if responding to a call I don't expect them to do 50km/h of course but just curious to whether or not they have limits.

Eleanor
07-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Did he have his lights/siren going?

bobby_lu
07-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Whenever something like this comes up, the cops always respond "sometimes they need to respond discreetly ie. without the lights on or without siren on"

Take that with a grain of salt though, I'm sure we have all seen it (justified or not).

LadyLuck
07-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Civ2NR
CPS car came over the crest of the hill, with lights on (no siren)

Originally posted by Eleanor
Did he have his lights/siren going?

one of them.

Grogador
07-23-2008, 02:16 PM
piggies are exempt from the Traffic Safety Act... when "on duty" of course... but seriously (http://www.copswritingcops.com/)...

Eleanor
07-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Damn, totally missed it, thanks princess

If they've got lights on, they don't have speed limits. If their lights or siren aren't going, then they are considered a regular vehicle.

revelations
Going code 3 isnt an automatic excuse to drive like a dingis through crowded areas - try telling that to some cops though - most use better judgement even though they are legally allowed to drive like mad.

Not sure why the CPS dont generally use a siren when they go 3.

Toms-SC
No. They don't.

Furthermore;

http://i38.tinypic.com/dnm0yp.jpg

ragu
07-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Cops=Above the law, should they have any speed limits?

But when we talk about construction zones everyone goes about 80km/hr or more so how come a cop can't do 140?

g-m
07-23-2008, 02:26 PM
if you were a cop...

nbaker00
07-23-2008, 10:17 PM
It's stupid.....
I've seen a cop turn on his lights and suren so many times just to go through a red light, then turns them off once he's through..
Fucking bs

nightfx
07-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by nbaker00
It's stupid.....
I've seen a cop turn on his lights and suren so many times just to go through a red light, then turns them off once he's through..
Fucking bs
Reminds me of Superbad. :rofl:

Whiley
07-23-2008, 10:32 PM
LOL seen so many too (unfortunately)
one while talking on his black CPS cell phone thing and almost t-boned a van at the intersection
CPS < better judgment :thumbsdow

It's stupid.....
Fucking bs

subsin
07-23-2008, 11:06 PM
LOL@superbad

gpomp
07-23-2008, 11:12 PM
It's stupid.....
Fucking bs would you prefer him to drive through a red light without turning on his lights and siren? that probably won't be too safe.

5fivespeed
07-23-2008, 11:12 PM
I had a cop pass me on 16th at night with his lights and everything off. Kinda pissed me off, because he just came out of no where, and by no lights - I mean nothing. No lights, headlights nothing.

It was too dark, he popped out of no where, passed me and continued to drive that way.

Moe Man
07-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Going code 3 isnt an automatic excuse to drive like a dingis through crowded areas - try telling that to some cops though - most use better judgement even though they are legally allowed to drive like mad.

Not sure why the CPS dont generally use a siren when they go 3.

it is priority 1 , 2 , and 3 calls. what the hell is code 3

1= lights and sirens
2= lights, no sirens
3= neither

generaly speaking

Grogador
07-23-2008, 11:28 PM
"code 3" is from Need for Speed Most Wanted, etc...

:rofl:

revelations
07-23-2008, 11:51 PM
code 3 is RCMP speak - i guess its not standardized

UndrgroundRider
07-24-2008, 12:09 AM
I heard a rumor that cops won't/can't go over 180. The helicopter though, that's a different story.

Godfuader
07-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
would you prefer him to drive through a red light without turning on his lights and siren? that probably won't be too safe.
I think what he meant was, when cops come up to a red light at normal speed, hit the flashers, go thru, and then continue normal speed. It happens on a regular basis. Maybe they are supposed to be in motion at all times if possible. :dunno:

bspot
07-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
I heard a rumor that cops won't/can't go over 180. The helicopter though, that's a different story.

I had an RCMP on highway 93 in BC tell me that his interceptor was governed at 150 km/h.

... made me kind of sad I pulled over :rofl:

Proboscis
07-24-2008, 01:24 AM
hwy 93 is sweet. Bisco and Spillmacheen

ExtraSlow
07-24-2008, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader

I think what he meant was, when cops come up to a red light at normal speed, hit the flashers, go thru, and then continue normal speed. It happens on a regular basis. Maybe they are supposed to be in motion at all times if possible. :dunno:
I know a guy who is a CPS, and I asked him about this once. He had a reason, and quoted some regulation, but it all sounded like BS to me.
Whatever, I cut the cops some slack, because I sure as hell wouldn't do that job for the amount they get paid.

hampstor
07-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Whatever, I cut the cops some slack, because I sure as hell wouldn't do that job for the amount they get paid.

Agreed - you have to really love it cause you're not doing it for the money and a lot of people dislike you.

zipdoa
07-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by bspot

I had an RCMP on highway 93 in BC tell me that his interceptor was governed at 150 km/h.

... made me kind of sad I pulled over :rofl:

So you're saying i'm having a ball @ 235km/h in my Corrado, the cops can't pull me over cause they simply aren't fast enough!?

ExtraSlow
07-24-2008, 08:34 AM
You can't outrun the radio.

If you are driving over 200 km/h, you probably aren't going to stop for them even if they could keep up. They they have the choice of trying to force you off the road (PIT manuever), which is unsafe at that speed, or using thier radio for backup. they can use the radio even if they can't keep up.

jsn
07-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Seems like the cops have the ability to do anything when their lights are on...

One night i was driving home on crowchild when i see a cop infront of me turn on his lights. He then proceeds to back up about 50-100 meters so that he can take a turn off that he missed. Then he turns off his lights and proceeds as normal at a normal speed... meaning there was no emergency :banghead:

revelations
07-24-2008, 09:23 AM
^ whats wrong with that?

Youre trying to get to a call promptly, but not expeditiously.
Most cops have a stack of files (by files I mean bad people) to deal with so the less time they spend driving around in circles, the better.

You do what it takes to get there - unless he was being totally wreckless, even with his lights on.

jsn
07-24-2008, 09:37 AM
^^ unless it was an emergency, I don't see how backing up on crowchild and going against the flow of traffic isn't considered reckless. He turned off his lights and continued on as normal so i doubt time is of the issue on that case. It was only around 11 or 12 on a saturday, so there was still plenty of traffic.

Eleanor
07-24-2008, 09:48 AM

Did you hear that from F&F3? :D

"They catch you doing 180+, they don't even bother trying to catch you" - Han

Jayson
07-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Cops speed all the time.... 80% of the police cars i've driven behind are either speeding or going way under the limit...

If a cop is speeding in front of me(without his flashers) i'll just keep up with him... unless he's doing 20+ over the limit.

I think it's funny when i see a cop driving 20 under the limit and there are a line of cars behind him/her, because they're too afraid to pass a police vehicle.

bspot
07-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa

So you're saying i'm having a ball @ 235km/h in my Corrado, the cops can't pull me over cause they simply aren't fast enough!?

Even if their cars could go 235 they wouldn't do it because it's not safe and might cause you to drive even faster if pursued, and odds of someone innocent dying are pretty good.

If you're doing that, you can say hello to Mr. Spikebelt ;)

n1zm0
07-24-2008, 11:59 AM

and to add to that you can't outrun HAWCS..x2! unless you do it mafia style and have a replacement car waiting for you in a parkade like in Goodfellas i think it was.

iirc the cops will not chase past 160kph because they also then become a danger to bystanders/traffic if they do lose control for whatever reason. Plus.. this isn't fken america where the police procedures seem to resemble a hollywood movie.

plus they have 2 helicopters that can track you day or night, no difference to the FLIR

Speedy
07-24-2008, 12:31 PM
I have been involved in emergency services for many years mostly in EMS and fire but have since had to give it up recently due to medical reasons.

The actual law states that the police only need the a red light flashing to exceed the speed limit and bypass traffic but take my word for it, its not as glamorous as it seems...yeah the first 6 months or so its pretty cool but after that you realize how truly dangerous it is and you just want to get there as fast as you can and safe as you can so you can get home to your girlfriend, wife, kids, xbox, etc...

As far as turning the siren off after the lights yeah, most cops like to sneak up and catch the guy in the act and intersections are the most dangerous areas hence the need for the quick warning. Also we also get canceled or downgraded all the time.

Granted there is always some bad apples that give a bad name, but its a tough job you get criticized for not responding fast enough and then for driving to fast...give these guys a break already

rice_balls
07-24-2008, 05:17 PM
It's stupid.....
Fucking bs

I was beside a cop who did that one time... It was in winnipeg though around 2 AM. We were both stopped at the red light than he makes a left turn after flicking his lights on than turns them off immediately after. There were no cars at all that late in the night sooooo.... I turned too. :thumbsup:

Hakkola
07-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

and to add to that you can't outrun HAWCS..x2!

Too bad the helicopters have a 0-60 of about 18 minutes. :rofl:

I've seen them take off, and it takes them FOREVER to go through flight checks, if they're not already in the air they're useless.

I wonder what percentage of the day they are actually in the air?

They have to be able to see you in order to radio your location. I know of people who have escaped the cops pretty easily. Garages and wash bays work quite well.

I'm not condoning running from the cops, I've never done it, but saying it is impossible because of helicopters and radio is a fallacy.

ShermanEF9
07-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Too bad the helicopters have a 0-60 of about 18 minutes. :rofl:

I've seen them take off, and it takes them FOREVER to go through flight checks, if they're not already in the air they're useless.

I wonder what percentage of the day they are actually in the air?

They have to be able to see you in order to radio your location. I know of people who have escaped the cops pretty easily. Garages and wash bays work quite well.

I'm not condoning running from the cops, I've never done it, but saying it is impossible because of helicopters and radio is a fallacy.
But once they are in the air they should have very little trouble catching up with you.

liquidboi69
07-26-2008, 12:36 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HhrlFfVjK58

bashir26
07-26-2008, 01:12 AM
It's not impossible to outrun a cop. It really depends where you are in the city :bigpimp:

ragu
07-26-2008, 01:47 AM
I was talking to a friend yesterday who's in CPS and he said you're not supposed to go above a certain limit depending on the area (highway or residential) but if you actually get the job done with high speed chase you'll always get a :thumbsup: from the Sargent.

ExtremeSi
07-26-2008, 10:15 AM
I knew an EMS guy that said the sirens get really loud in the cab, so he knows some emergency personal that only use the siren sparingly.

89s1
07-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Hakkola is right.

The radio doesnt do a whole hell of alot of good if they dont have your plate or anything more than "its a little black car with a loud exhaust, and it's FAST"

ZorroAMG
07-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Or "it's got green neon and goes under semis to steal VHS players"