PDA

View Full Version : Krispy Kreme is coming to Calgary!

celica girl
09-03-2003, 09:01 AM
I guess they are opening a Krispy Kreme in Sunridge Mall.... I remember having them in Vegas once... they were still warm when we got them... mmmmmm!
:drool:

Today they are flying in donuts from TO to hand out downtown as part of the promotion.

CRXguy
09-03-2003, 09:09 AM
Sweet!!!

Best donuts evar.

spyderman
09-03-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by celica girl
I guess they are opening a Krispy Kreme in Sunridge Mall.... I remember having them in Vegas once... they were still warm when we got them... mmmmmm!
:drool:

Today they are flying in donuts from TO to hand out downtown as part of the promotion.

When will it be open?

celica girl
09-03-2003, 09:28 AM
I think they said ealry next year... but I might be wrong... I don't see why it would take so long to get it going....

rage2
09-03-2003, 09:30 AM
It's opening near Sunridge, 4000sqft facility. Opening in April. It's a huge plant, so I'm guessing they'll be delivered to Mac's, Safeway, etc.

Ben
09-03-2003, 09:34 AM
see thread:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22637

accordboi_02
09-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Hahaha, it's awesome... they are really good, but also they are really unhealthy... I think they're much worse than other doughnuts that we can buy... but oh well, if you go 1st thing in the morning and get them fresh....:drool:

I just wish I had the $$$ to open one here, could make soooooo much money so fast!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

K271
09-03-2003, 10:16 AM
Absolutely the nastiest doughnuts. Too sweet, too much dam fat, it's just a hunk of cholesterol and artery clogging dough.

Weapon_R
09-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by K271
Too sweet, too much dam fat, it's just a hunk of cholesterol and artery clogging dough.

Everything a good donut should do :drool:

Altezza
09-03-2003, 10:26 AM
Sorta old news...I was denied when I enquired about a franchise about 2 years ago - "All of our franchise opportunities have been filled for Western Canada including the city of Calgary, Alberta Canada."

LOL, I get stopped at customs EVERYTIME when I bring back KK's.

celica girl
09-03-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Altezza
Sorta old news...

Maybe you shoulda posted 2 years ago then... :poosie:
lol

Atleast we have a location now and a date.

BTW... you never gave me any of the krispy kremes that you brought back the last time....
:(

gpomp
09-03-2003, 10:42 AM
Had some of this stuff in Toronto. It rules.

Altezza
09-03-2003, 10:53 AM

Maybe you shoulda posted 2 years ago then... :poosie:
lol

Atleast we have a location now and a date.

BTW... you never gave me any of the krispy kremes that you brought back the last time....
:(

haha, I wasn't even on here 2 years ago! LOL. Plus, didn't want anyone to beat me to the opportunity of owning a KK Franchise! Me = a wannabe dougnut mogul :drool:

Roland ate all the doughnuts last time...if you're nice to him, maybe he'll give you some.

rage2
09-03-2003, 10:54 AM
Man, both you and Roland are fighting to give Celica Girl some "Kreme"! :rofl:

Altezza
09-03-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Whatever! Roland wins...I'm just trying to help the guy out,
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ScCab
09-03-2003, 11:19 AM

haha, I wasn't even on here 2 years ago! LOL. Plus, didn't want anyone to beat me to the opportunity of owning a KK Franchise! Me = a wannabe dougnut mogul :drool:

Roland ate all the doughnuts last time...if you're nice to him, maybe he'll give you some.
so you let rolland eat your kreme.....:barf:

Superesc
09-03-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Too late, BuhBuh already did. :rofl:

Altezza
09-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by ScCab

so you let rolland eat your kreme.....:barf:

Dude, whatever, I saw the way you were looking at him when he was drunk... Rolland's just lucky FD was there :rofl:

ScCab
09-03-2003, 11:32 AM

Dude, whatever, I saw the way you were looking at him when he was drunk... Rolland's just lucky FD was there :rofl:
look??? everyone looked at the dude he was tripping out on the floor twitching and shit. dont worry man im not trying to take his kreme away from you. you guys can keep that between yourselves. me no homo

and why you looking at me....fag you should be looking after your kreme partner:barf:

Altezza
09-03-2003, 11:38 AM

look??? everyone looked at the dude he was tripping out on the floor twitching and shit.

WTF? Don't edit my post you fag! haha

Don't worry man, don't be jealous...I'm not interested in Roland the way you are...

ScCab
09-03-2003, 11:43 AM

WTF? Don't edit my post you fag! haha

Don't worry man, don't be jealous...I'm not interested in Roland the way you are...
need you forget I am no homo....
i didnt stick around your boyfreinds place. I went home to my woman

Altezza
09-03-2003, 11:45 AM

need you forget I am no homo....

Roland might be disappointed to hear that...

ScCab
09-03-2003, 11:46 AM

Roland might be disappointed to hear that... coming from you yes

Altezza
09-03-2003, 11:52 AM
coming from you yes

I wouldn't know what you are talking about...

ScCab
09-03-2003, 12:03 PM

I wouldn't know what you are talking about... its ok man....your weak attempt to divert your gayness doesnt work

voodoo
09-03-2003, 01:42 PM
they were giving out doughnuts at lunch. so i went with 2 co-workers thinking we were gonna get a free doughnut. man were we ever wrong, they are giving out BOXES of 12

me and 2 coworkers picked up 8 boxes

rage2
09-03-2003, 01:43 PM
LOL! I'll buy a box from ya! haha.

celica girl
09-03-2003, 01:44 PM
SERIOUS!?!?!
Damn... I figured it wouldn't have been worth the walk over... was it over on 1st street?

RSeXy
09-03-2003, 01:50 PM
hahaha! ed..i KNEW it! hahaha...jk

voodoo
09-03-2003, 01:51 PM
its on the corner of 3rd st and stephen ave mall (8thave)

its great, coz i work on the corner of 3rdst and 9ave

sorry all the boxes have been givin away to all the difference finance departments at my work. except for 1 box. but that goes home with me

voodoo
09-03-2003, 01:52 PM
they were just bringing them in by the truck loads

celica girl
09-03-2003, 02:06 PM
MY dad said that people were going crazy for them...

voodoo
09-03-2003, 02:09 PM
yeh it was pretty bad. the vibe 98.5 guy was like beating people off (not sexually)

lammer
09-03-2003, 02:11 PM
yeah at sundrige train station, they were handing out BOXES of 12s to people who were getting off the train. my co-worker come in this morning and was bustingit out haha. then the boss was like "hey i bought this stuff in los angeles. its in calgary now?"

benyl
09-03-2003, 02:33 PM
I looked at getting the Franchise 3 years ago... they wanted $12 Million.

$1 million per store and you had to take 12 (basically all of southern Alberta).

I love the donuts, but only when they are fresh.

ShOwOfF
09-03-2003, 02:37 PM
A co worker lined up for half an hour and brought them back to the office. He ended up having only half of one cuz the rest of us pigged out on them. mmmmmmm best donuts ever.

Altezza
09-03-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I looked at getting the Franchise 3 years ago... they wanted $12 Million.

$1 million per store and you had to take 12 (basically all of southern Alberta).

I love the donuts, but only when they are fresh.

They didn't tell me that I had to take all of them, whoa that's nuts. They just told me that all franchises were accounted for already and the cost of each was US$2 million, of which required a minimum of $500k in cash right off the bat.

edit: Bringing back KKs on a plane are the best way to pick up girls and stuardesses (sp?) :poosie: :poosie:

RSeXy
09-03-2003, 02:52 PM

edit: Bringing back KKs on a plane are the best way to pick up girls and stuardesses (sp?) :poosie: :poosie:

I'm telling Renee! :rofl: :devil::whipped:

max_boost
09-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Dam, looks like I'm gonna be packing on a few more pounds!!

Altezza
09-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by RSeXy

I'm telling Renee! :rofl: :devil::whipped:

WTF?! No you won't... I'm NOT :whipped: like others here...

RSeXy
09-03-2003, 03:07 PM

WTF?! No you won't...

I sense fear! hahahaha! :whipped: :rofl: ;)

celica girl
09-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by RSeXy

I sense fear! hahahaha! :whipped: :rofl: ;)

I've got Renee on my ICQ list!!!!
I'm gonna send her a link to this thread!
hehehe...

RSeXy
09-03-2003, 03:11 PM

I've got Renee on my ICQ list!!!!
I'm gonna send her a link to this thread!
hehehe...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

you should send me her msn info as well Jackie!! her and i have LOTS to talk about!! :devil: :devil: :devil: hehe..j/k Ed! ;)

Superesc
09-03-2003, 03:26 PM

Ah iccc.... time to start travelling!!!! :D

kaput
09-03-2003, 03:34 PM

voodoo
09-03-2003, 03:38 PM
no i think just today

littledan
09-03-2003, 03:53 PM
any word on whether or not they are coming to etown????

Zephyr
09-03-2003, 04:42 PM
I can see it when they opened. "Hello Canada friends, we come from America land, we bring peace, heart disease, obesity, and overweight kids, all this in a small generous treat we call, Krispy Kream Donut."

l/l/rX
09-03-2003, 05:07 PM
hrm those donuts arent that SPECIAL. they're just a bit more sweeter. hrm IMO they're not worth the money they charge for them. but dont get me wrong i'll go buy some here and there ahaha. but over priced still.

Fluidic
09-03-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
I can see it when they opened. "Hello Canada friends, we come from America land, we bring peace, heart disease, obesity, and overweight kids, all this in a small generous treat we call, Krispy Kream Donut."

:rofl:

/////AMG
09-03-2003, 06:06 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
Those were all those boxes flying around in my school, every 15th kid had a box on his hand. I have no idea what this shit is....guess they didn't have these donuts when I used to live in England.

WTF is so good about em?

CRXguy
09-03-2003, 06:15 PM
My dad's going to L.A. at the end of the month. Maybe I'll sell my leftovers to you guys. :rofl:

eur0
09-04-2003, 01:13 PM
I wish I coulda opened a franchise, I was downtown the other day and everyone was carrying white boxes and I was like wtf?! Suprise, suprise that they were krispy kremes heh

Davetronz
09-04-2003, 03:14 PM
Mmmmmm Krispy Kreme :drool
Mmmmmmmmm :D

E36M3
09-04-2003, 04:29 PM
Krispy Kreme doesn't mess around. Resistence is futile, you will be assimilated.

B17a
09-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
Krispy Kreme doesn't mess around. Resistence is futile, you will be assimilated.

I am weak! Take me now to this sugarey promised land!

Zephyr
09-04-2003, 04:44 PM
once u all get fat, u will blame america..... yes bush's plan to send weapon of "mass production" to all nations is now in effect...

E36M3
09-04-2003, 04:46 PM
I guess you've never been to Canada. I don't think anyone is worried about Canadians getting fat. That would be like making French people stinky.

*puts on flame suit*

Originally posted by Zephyr
once u all get fat, u will blame america..... yes bush's plan to send weapon of "mass production" to all nations is now in effect...

max_boost
09-04-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
I guess you've never been to Canada. I don't think anyone is worried about Canadians getting fat. That would be like making French people stinky.

*puts on flame suit*

:rofl: I don't think anyone really gives a shit about us Canadians anyway

pinoyhero
09-04-2003, 05:31 PM
I had a few of these a few years back in Vegas and let me tell you that they are deadly. They should come with a warning label on the box similar to cigarettes.

thetransporter
08-26-2013, 07:03 PM
10 years later...

why did they close down in Calgary? (i read not peoples taste but why did they camp outside before opening?)

Where can you buy them?

Do people on here still like them?

lilmira
08-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Lol reading the old comments.

Do they still sell them at superstore?

FixedGear
08-26-2013, 08:12 PM
I haven't seen a Krispy Kreme in forever, I think they closed pretty much everywhere :dunno:

Xtrema
08-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter
10 years later...

why did they close down in Calgary? (i read not peoples taste but why did they camp outside before opening?)

Where can you buy them?

Do people on here still like them?

Because at the end of the day, its just donuts.

Tim's survived because like Dunkin, they expand beyond just coffee and donuts.

Sugarphreak
08-26-2013, 08:23 PM

AE92_TreunoSC
08-26-2013, 08:26 PM
The transfat craze happened in 2006-2007, they didn't stand a chance haha.

Xtrema is right, who the hell goes out of their way for donuts? In a mall sure, but I'm not driving to the store just for donuts lol.

Maxx Mazda
08-26-2013, 08:36 PM
They weren't even "THAT good" either if you ask me. Way too sweet.

JRSC00LUDE
08-26-2013, 08:39 PM
I LOVED them, I had no problems eating three or four.

Hell, I found one in Vegas back in March when I was drinking. I bought a dozen and doze it face first Hahaha

Xtrema
08-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I think people are also generally trying to eat better these days as well, 10 years ago the health food craze hadn't really taken off yet

Funny, KK blamed Atkins diet during their fall in 2005. Into the end, they expand too fast and franchisee all lost $ since their locations are too close together. Much like Starbucks at one point.

hurrdurr
08-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Meh

Marsh
08-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Funny, KK blamed Atkins diet during their fall in 2005. Into the end, they expand too fast and franchisee all lost $ since their locations are too close together. Much like Starbucks at one point.

Starbucks is corporate owned and operated, they never had franchisees.

At least Starbucks is on a bit of a rebound since their old CEO Schultz came back...Krispy Kreme bit the dust, hard.

gamman
08-26-2013, 09:20 PM
I heard (now don't shoot the messenger - all kinds of stupid here on every level), that the Canadian arm oversold the franchises such that they were destined to go broke, and make franchiser rich. And the sunridge was corporate store or head franchise location. so it lasted the 5 yr term (or the longest or w.h.y.). Anyone know anyone and could verify?

Xtrema
08-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Marsh

Starbucks is corporate owned and operated, they never had franchisees.

At least Starbucks is on a bit of a rebound since their old CEO Schultz came back...Krispy Kreme bit the dust, hard.

In the sense of over expansion...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2008/07/01/starbucks-closures.html

And I wasn't crazy.... 40% of Starbucks stores are licensee operated.

http://blogs.starbucks.com/blogs/customer/archive/2009/06/02/questions-about-licensed-stores.aspx
http://www.starbuckseverywhere.net/LicensedStores.htm

flipstah
08-27-2013, 07:06 AM
That thread is like going back in time!

ICQ?! So old! :rofl:

sputnik
08-27-2013, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

In the sense of over expansion...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2008/07/01/starbucks-closures.html

And I wasn't crazy.... 40% of Starbucks stores are licensee operated.

http://blogs.starbucks.com/blogs/customer/archive/2009/06/02/questions-about-licensed-stores.aspx
http://www.starbuckseverywhere.net/LicensedStores.htm

In Canada that really just amounts to the locations in Safeway, Target, universities, hospitals and airports.

BigMass
08-27-2013, 07:50 AM
this is the future of Target stores in Canada

Disoblige
08-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Yep, I don't know what all the hype was about Target. Did people really think the prices were going to be like in the States? :rofl:

JRSC00LUDE
08-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Yep, I don't know what all the hype was about Target. Did people really think the prices were going to be like in the States? :rofl:

It's not the prices so much as the selection, it's too bad the product range is so inferior here.

But hey, we got paid well to build one so I'm happy hahaha

sputnik
08-27-2013, 09:40 AM

The same thing happened when Walmart took over all of the Woolco locations.

Tons of hype around Walmart showing up and then people pissed that the prices weren't the same as the US and that they didn't have any Cherry Coke.

Walmart seems to be doing fine now.

spikerS
08-27-2013, 10:40 AM

People are thinking that still. Look at the whole Verizon debacle.

JRSC00LUDE
08-27-2013, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by spikers
People are thinking that still. Look at the whole Verizon debacle.

Well I think you just feel that way because of where you work...... :D

There is ZERO way that competition is a bad thing, even if it doesn't lower them it's certainly not going to drive prices up.

I can't believe the fear-mongering ads these clowns are putting out, obviously they're making plenty enough money if they can waste tens of millions of dollars trying to scare people. The only reason they think it's "not fair" is because it's an actual big player who won't give a shit about colluding with the three greedy bastards in the playground.

The same thing happened when long distance competition came around. Everyone is still in business, I just don't pay $160.00 a month to be able to phone someone in Vancouver. :nut:

:hijack:

spikerS
08-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Well I think you just feel that way because of where you work...... :D

Actually, I think I have been pretty unbiased, as I made the effort to be, and have kept an open mind.

But, having said all that, I have access to a lot of information that the laymen don't, and see a bunch of stuff behind the scenes that I can take into consideration.

I personally don't care if Verizon comes in or not, competition is a good thing. Verizon is going to be pissed at the wages and benefits it will have to pay up here.

But people are whackjobs if they think because Verizon might come in that prices are going to drop. Verizon already knows we willingly pay what we do, they just want their slice of the pie too.

suntan
08-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Meh, I've been pretty happy with Target. The locations suck but their prices are basically the same as Walmart's, and the stores are way cleaner and better organized. Also they do have some nice stuff. Bought a lamp for $40.

Also their sale prices are outstanding.

hampstor
08-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Ah the memories of this thread...

I remember when they opened there were lineups for the first few days. They were really good if you threw them in the microwave for about 10-15s.

However, when MemEx edmonton opened, the owners decided we'd bring up Krispy Kreme donuts. So, at 2am I picked up ~$4k worth of Krispy Kreme donuts (we got 50% off so paid about $2k) for the grand opening. A colleague and I drove up to Edmonton smelling nothing but their damn donuts for 3 hrs. After that, I couldn't stand the smell of them, or even eat them anymore.