PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: Audi 1.8T

spiceboy
09-03-2003, 09:16 AM
Hi all, what do you guys think about the new Audi 1.8T?

1) performance
2) worth the $40,000 base price?
3) potential
4) resale value
5) MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL: reliability

Thank you all for your 2 cents.

sml
09-03-2003, 09:52 AM
I was looking at some used older model ones, I think 98 A4 2.8 top of the line was $20k... brand new was like $40k... so, resale value is no good, -$20k in 4 yrs. Probably because Audis were so famous for their electronics breaking down after 2-3yrs... but that could have all changed in the newer models.

Weapon_R
09-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Save yourself 10g's and get the Jetta 1.8T and load it up. I think they are very similar.

Altezza
09-03-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by spiceboy

1) performance
3) potential
4) resale value

1) Mediocre performance, even with a chip. You have to push the engine beyond it's reliable limits to get satisfying performance out of it. I looked long and hard into this option. I chose another car in the end.

2) Interior is best in class, IMO. Quattro is the deciding factor to get an Audi...if you're not getting Quattro, go get something else. You can easily knock off a few grand if not more on the price.

3) Good potential since it's factory turbo. But don't expect stellar numbers. I've both driven and seen time slips for chipped and modified A4 1.8Ts and they are not spectacular. Much faster than stock, but still not that quick. Biggest issue here is weight. I have seen some crazy fast A4s, but again, expect to significantly reduce the engine life with those mods.

4) Resale isn't terrific.

5) Look at the industry stats...Audi doesn't contend with the front runners for reliability.

ZorroAMG
09-03-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Save yourself 10g's and get the Jetta 1.8T and load it up. I think they are very similar.

Yeah, but unfortunately, status is an issue and a Jetta is still a VW (not a bad car, just not Audi prestige)

Oh, and the interior finish between Audi and VW are NIGHT and DAY as well

spiceboy
09-03-2003, 11:18 AM
Hey sml ... clean your mailbox.
Couldn't reply to you.

Hmm ... seems like Audi is not a favorite among this crowd.
But if one is going for an European car with "prestige", all-wheel drive, kick-ass interior, half-decent performance and potential .... the 1.8T has the most competitive price in its class.
May be? I dunno ... :dunno:

Hollywood
09-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Yeah, but unfortunately, status is an issue and a Jetta is still a VW (not a bad car, just not Audi prestige)

Oh, and the interior finish between Audi and VW are NIGHT and DAY as well

Yes!

And awd!:thumbsup:

I have driven a chipped 1.8t it was very fun to drive, I'm not sure what buddy is talking about but 224hp, 245tq with the chip is good power. Then the 2.8 has recaro made leather seats which are really nice but its not as fast and heavier.

Altezza
09-03-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood

Yes!

And awd!:thumbsup:

I have driven a chipped 1.8t it was very fun to drive, I'm not sure what buddy is talking about but 224hp, 245tq with the chip is good power. Then the 2.8 has recaro made leather seats which are really nice but its not as fast and heavier.

Chipped 1.8T Golfs and Jettas are pretty quick...but the A4 has too much weight for that amount of HP and TQ to be used well. Not to mention the extra drivetrain loss from Quattro. I've seen slips for the chipped A4s w/exhaust and we're looking at low-mid 15s. Like I said, a chipped Golf/Jetta is a different story.

04blackMAX
09-03-2003, 12:00 PM
cough cough 04 maxima cough cough

nickyh
09-03-2003, 12:58 PM
I would not waste my $$$ on the Audi or the Jetta.
Essentially the Audi is a VW, yes it looks pretty and has a few more bells and whistles but both are sub par vehicles.
If you are spending $40K - there is a lot of competition out there.

Hollywood
09-03-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by nickyh
If you are spending $40K - there is a lot of competition out there.

Yup.

hjr
09-03-2003, 01:33 PM
for around 40K+ you can hook up with a used S4. 2.7 bi-turbo. Now a chip makes a huge difference in this car. S4 indeed.

benyl
09-03-2003, 03:07 PM
Go to www.a4forums.com and they will tell you what you want to hear.

It is a heavy beast.

1.8T has better resale than 3.0 (2.8)

Audi is a VW, but VW is changing... look at the Phaeton and Toureg. I don't know why they have Audi anymore when VW wants to be a luxury car maker.

R-Audi
09-03-2003, 03:46 PM
Most people, when looking at purchasing Audi's, unless looking at the S/RS series isn't for a drag/race car. They are looking for an all year sport sedan. For a year round car (especially in Calgary) the WRX is really its closest competition, and depending on your age, might not be. Audi's are known for their refinement, and comfort, and in those respective categories are hard to match.
Adding simple things like a chip and exhaust do make a significant improvement but they are not DRAG cars. some are (12.5 1/4mi out of Vancouver), but most are for comfort. By no means are they underpowered, and I have not heard of any complaints of the local fdealer as well. (Glenmore Audi) There ae a few Audi owners on the board, that could probably contest this.(certainly not like the Calgary BMW complaints) and quite a bit of the car experience is due to the dealer.

I may be a little biased, since I do drive a 98 2.8 (which resale is better then the 1.8T btw) I am not a racer, but to me has enough power for any normal driving. I have not had any major problems with my car, that would change the way I feel about my car. Every car has little glitches, but as long as they are found and fixed through warranty, whats the big deal?
\
If you are interesed, go down to Glenmore, and test drive a few cars, and check out Audi web pages for more info. my favorite is www.audiworld.com

Feel free to PM me.

James
09-03-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Audi is a VW, but VW is changing... look at the Phaeton and Toureg. I don't know why they have Audi anymore when VW wants to be a luxury car maker.

:werd:....the Touareg is amazing, ive driven a few of them( only the V6 though), and they are wayyyy nicer than most SUV's out there......are you looking mainly for the prestige of the Audi name? or just the 1.8t engine?

benyl
09-03-2003, 05:48 PM
In terms resale (as a pecentage of the original price), the 1.8T is better in the first 2-3 years as it is more accessible to more people. This is from the horses mouth (the sales manager at Glenmore Audi). She works there and I am not going to argue... just passing on the info.

Audiworld is awesome for info... I just have a hard time with the format of the forum.

You cannot beat the interior of an Audi. It is one of the best around... hands down. The people at Glenmore are awesome. R-Audi is right... that is a lot of the car owning experience.

pinoyhero
09-03-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by spiceboy

1) performance
3) potential
4) resale value

First off I shopped for cars when I got my first job and decided that used is the way to go. No GST, no 20% drop off the lot (or more, and if you get something 2-3 years old it will often still have warranty.

1) Not bad, chip is cheap so you can get a pretty decent performing car (but nothing special)
2) You will not get one for 40K, after bells and whistles and GST you will be paying at least 45K. Check out what used cars you can get for that price and you'll see they are far better 2,3 year older cars than the Audi
3) Decent potential if you got the cash, modding those things isn't cheap
4) Poor
5) Mid, check you JD power ratings on edmunds.com

R-Audi
09-03-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Audi is a VW, but VW is changing... look at the Phaeton and Toureg. I don't know why they have Audi anymore when VW wants to be a luxury car maker. [/B]

Audi is slowly increasing the sportyness of their line up. ---RS6, and soon to follow RS4. VW is getting more luxurious, but it is doubtful that it will compete with BMW, and Mercedes in the long run. Audi has a strong racing history, and is trying to bring back that image.