PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G: Did you order by phone/online through Rogers/Fido?

Lagerstatten.ca
07-23-2008, 07:58 PM
I ordered my 16GB white iPhone 3G right before noon on release day (July 11/08) and still haven't received my iPhone yet.

Anyone else order through the phone or online receive their phones yet? Seems like most 8GB iPhone orders are being placed, but 16GB ones aren't.

Last update I got was for it to arrive tomorrow (July 24/08), but I still haven't received any delivery notifications or anything. Other forums are saying a delivery date of Aug 1/08 or even later.

Post what you know up! Thanks!

rage2
07-23-2008, 08:01 PM
From what I've heard, Fido is being shafted on stock, particularly 16G's. Rogers, 16G's are available at retail (I just caved and picked one up... really wanted Fido). Lots of 8G in stock at retail too. White is the toughest color to get, although I stumbled on a white 16G.

Most of my co-workers on Rogers called in and got theirs in 3 days shipped to them. I know of at least a black 8, a black 16, and a white 16 from rogers upgraded over the phone.

Haven't heard much about Fido, and I gave up on the Fido hunt after realizing Rogers allocated most of the phone to themselves and fucked Fido over.

Lagerstatten.ca
07-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the update rage2! Sucks as I added it to my couples plan. I'd be really pissed if they started charging me for it on July 11/08.

I can only hope that it'll come in tomorrow...it'll sure beat using the crappy company issue work phone (although it's kinda nice having a flip phone again)

CivicDXR
07-23-2008, 09:20 PM
GF ordered her Fido white one online around 1130am on July 11, showed up at her house Tuesday the 15th...:dunno:

Lagerstatten.ca
07-23-2008, 09:25 PM
What!? That's the same time frame as me when I ordered the iPhone over the phone with the Fido Direct sales rep. I'll give them a call tomorrow morning.

SeanDon
07-23-2008, 09:30 PM
where exactly do you go to order one online?

CivicDXR
07-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by SeanDon
where exactly do you go to order one online?

http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/iphone

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/iphone_release?cm_re=wireless-_-banner-_-iPhoneRelease

kenny
07-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
GF ordered her Fido white one online around 1130am on July 11, showed up at her house Tuesday the 15th...:dunno:

A co-worker also ordered a white 16gb from Fido around the same time, and got it on the 17th. I've lost count how many iphones are at the office now!

znx
07-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by rage2
From what I've heard, Fido is being shafted on stock, particularly 16G's. Rogers, 16G's are available at retail (I just caved and picked one up... really wanted Fido). Lots of 8G in stock at retail too. White is the toughest color to get, although I stumbled on a white 16G.

Most of my co-workers on Rogers called in and got theirs in 3 days shipped to them. I know of at least a black 8, a black 16, and a white 16 from rogers upgraded over the phone.

Haven't heard much about Fido, and I gave up on the Fido hunt after realizing Rogers allocated most of the phone to themselves and fucked Fido over.

^^ True.

I just waited for mine to get it from retail. Just kept calling Fido. Luckily, got a White 16Gb on a Friday. Fido only receive their phones through UPS and trend was they receive new shipments every Wednesday and Friday.

I was going to order online/phone but as what the customer service rep told me, 16Gb white ones are really hard to get reason I also caved, waited and picked one up also from Fido retail.

Lagerstatten.ca
07-24-2008, 03:25 AM
:bullshit:

I wish for once that someone at Fido would just give me a straight answer. If the phone's not going to get delivered by Aug 1, then say so.

I give up, I'll just not think about it. When it UPS guy comes around I won't even be home, so it'll probably get delayed another day since I'll have to go pick it up.

Thumbs down for Fido (but I need their per second billing!)

beyondmike
07-24-2008, 09:05 AM
I ordered mine on July 11th in the afternoon thru phone *611. I received it on July 21st(was suppose to come On Fri the 18th but came the following Monday). I ordered the 16gb black one. I was just about to contact Fido for a tracking number and all of a sudden it came to the door.

znx
07-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Lagerstatten.ca
:bullshit:

I wish for once that someone at Fido would just give me a straight answer. If the phone's not going to get delivered by Aug 1, then say so.

That's what they told me also on the phone (was going to order by phone). Hope you get your phone soon. :angel:

Palmiros
07-24-2008, 09:24 AM
I ordered my 8GB from Rogers on July 17th(Thursday) and I had it in my hand on the 21st (Monday). Upgraded over the phone

Lagerstatten.ca
07-24-2008, 12:53 PM
So I just called Fido (twice) and they're answer regarding why I haven't received my iPhone yet was this:

"Sir, your iPhone was entered into our system on July 17th, 2008, so with the current delays you should receive your iphone by July 29th, 2008. However due to unpredictable supplies you may not receive your iPhone until after Aug 1st, 2008".

WTF! The phone hasn't even been shipped out yet as they don't even have a tracking number.

I'm gonna get my gf to cancel the phone. This is absolute bullshit customer service. No wonder people are dropping Rogers/Fido like flies.

With this whole iPhone fiasco, they've just lost control of everything. Worst PR ever!

Hope everyone has better luck than me!

znx
07-24-2008, 01:13 PM
So I just called Fido (twice) and they're answer regarding why I haven't received my iPhone yet was this:

"Sir, your iPhone was entered into our system on July 17th, 2008, so with the current delays you should receive your iphone by July 29th, 2008. However due to unpredictable supplies you may not receive your iPhone until after Aug 1st, 2008".

WTF! The phone hasn't even been shipped out yet as they don't even have a tracking number.

I'm gonna get my gf to cancel the phone. This is absolute bullshit customer service. No wonder people are dropping Rogers/Fido like flies.

With this whole iPhone fiasco, they've just lost control of everything. Worst PR ever!

Hope everyone has better luck than me!

Sorry to hear man.

:guns: Fido/Rogers

beyondmike
07-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by znx

Sorry to hear man.

:guns: Fido/Rogers

Fido/Rogers is bad, but Telus and Bell are worse. Not much we can do, especially if you want the iphone. All my experiences with Fido have been good, and I've been with Telus Mobility for over 12 years previously.

kenny
07-24-2008, 01:28 PM
If you can wait, I'm sure the new carriers that will be starting service next year will have iPhones (and some great plans) to steal customers away from Rogers/Fido.

CKY
07-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Really? The new carriers are coming next year?

Lagerstatten.ca
07-24-2008, 02:48 PM
That's be years down the road. They only just finished the bidding on the new spectrum, with Rogers/Fido being the highest bidder.

I heard T-Mobile was coming in 2009...is that true?

CKY
07-24-2008, 03:08 PM
That's be years down the road. They only just finished the bidding on the new spectrum, with Rogers/Fido being the highest bidder.

I heard T-Mobile was coming in 2009...is that true?

Don't think so, they didn't bid on the spectrum auction and if they do want a piece of Canada. It'll probably be just like how you put it, years down the road...

Toms-SC
07-24-2008, 03:50 PM
There is a reason why Rogers/FIDO have a 3 year contract attached to the iPhone. They know the 4th carrier will be entering the market once the spectrum auction is complete. The government was saying the bidders will be ready to launch a year after the bidding has ended. The iPhone from Rogers/FIDO was the hook and bait and many bit.

Lagerstatten.ca
07-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Update: My gf called to ask about the iPhone in general and this is what they said regarding the shipment and availability of the iPhone through FIDO:

1. If you ordered the iPhone online or by phone on July 11th, 2008 --- You'll receive your iPhone on or before August 1st, 2008.

2. If you ordered the iPhone online or by phone after July 11th, 2008 --- You'll receive your iPhone after August 1st, 2008 but before August 29th, 2008.

What bullshit eh? According to that rep, they are out of iPhones and are sending them out on a first come first serve basis.

Also looks like the entire US of A is bone dry too as of today. Damn!

arian_ma
07-25-2008, 08:24 AM
wtf is the big deal about this phone lol Jesus Christ!
And don't say I don't know what I'm talking about because I own one, it's just not that great...

Lagerstatten.ca
07-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Not sure what the hype is about really...it is just a phone. But it does combine a phone + ipod + camera + half decent pda all in once nice little package.

For me, I'm a big Apple/Mac user and so are all my friends and family. Plus I'm out of a cell phone right now too, so it was logical to pick up the iPhone 3G. We already have two people in the house using the original iPhone, makes it easier to troubleshoot everyone else's issues/problems if I had one myself :)

arian_ma
07-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Not sure what the hype is about really...it is just a phone. But it does combine a phone + ipod + camera + half decent pda all in once nice little package.

For me, I'm a big Apple/Mac user and so are all my friends and family. Plus I'm out of a cell phone right now too, so it was logical to pick up the iPhone 3G. We already have two people in the house using the original iPhone, makes it easier to troubleshoot everyone else's issues/problems if I had one myself :)
I see, it's not like the iPhone revolutionized anything though, there have been many phones before it with phone + music + camera + PDA, and many phones that do it way better. I have decided that I am going to completely stop supporting Apple in everyway. I know I am going to get a huge flaming for this but their products suck my fucking balls. My iPod is possibly the worst piece of hardware I've owned, it's battery life is sporadic, the firmware is glitchy at best, the screen cracked 3 days after I bought it and they refused to fix it for me as it's "wear and tear." The iPhone similarly, half of the Rogers features I pay for don't even work most of the time, I can't use data or any of those kinds of features because my phone is not from Rogers (though that's not Apple's fault, it still adds to my frustration), it doesn't have SO many little but important things that I would expect out of a $20 phone that is from 2002. It's just idiotic.

TheOneAndOnly
07-25-2008, 08:41 AM
i ordered mine yesterday, and was told a gauranteed arival of monday.

szw
07-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma

I see, it's not like the iPhone revolutionized anything though, there have been many phones before it with phone + music + camera + PDA, and many phones that do it way better. I have decided that I am going to completely stop supporting Apple in everyway. I know I am going to get a huge flaming for this but their products suck my fucking balls. My iPod is possibly the worst piece of hardware I've owned, it's battery life is sporadic, the firmware is glitchy at best, the screen cracked 3 days after I bought it and they refused to fix it for me as it's "wear and tear." The iPhone similarly, half of the Rogers features I pay for don't even work most of the time, I can't use data or any of those kinds of features because my phone is not from Rogers (though that's not Apple's fault, it still adds to my frustration), it doesn't have SO many little but important things that I would expect out of a $20 phone that is from 2002. It's just idiotic.

Didn't you go through the trouble of HW unlocking yours after holding onto it for quite a while?? haha a lot of work for someone who 'doesn't get what the big deal is', IMO.

BTW who said your iPod screen crack was wear and tear? Apple store, or you sent it into Apple? Usually they are pretty good at fixing stuff like that.

arian_ma
07-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by szw

Didn't you go through the trouble of HW unlocking yours after holding onto it for quite a while?? haha a lot of work for someone who 'doesn't get what the big deal is', IMO.

BTW who said your iPod screen crack was wear and tear? Apple store, or you sent it into Apple? Usually they are pretty good at fixing stuff like that.
That was when I first got it and had never used it. I didn't know about all of the stupid little annoyances that would come up over the course of time that I have owned it. I did go through and LOT of trouble for this phone, and don't get me wrong, it's cool, just not as cool as many other products that are out in the market right now. Apple seems to be good at making things look good, I don't know why they don't just put in the extra features into the phone, I would have been completely satisfied with it if it had only a few simple software modifications.

For my iPod, I talked to both the store I bought it from and Apple, the store said they could do nothing and Apple said they would fix it, but for $99 + I pay for shipping both ways.

kenny
07-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by CKY

Don't think so, they didn't bid on the spectrum auction and if they do want a piece of Canada. It'll probably be just like how you put it, years down the road...

Roger: $999M
Telus: $880M
Bell: $741M

Quebecor: $555M
Globalive: $442M

What will likely need to happen is for Quebecor and Globalive to partner up for us to see a national network up and running but its possible for a regional network to be up and running by the end of next year.

T-mobile could work with either Quebecor or Globalive to start a network under the T-mobile brand.

Toms-SC
07-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Kenny,

While the new comers are building their own network they are allowed access to the current cell network. This was Ted Rogers big beef because they get to piggyback for free.

Kaos
07-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by kenny

What will likely need to happen is for Quebecor and Globalive to partner up for us to see a national network up and running but its possible for a regional network to be up and running by the end of next year.

T-mobile could work with either Quebecor or Globalive to start a network under the T-mobile brand.

Hey Kenny, where did you get this info?
From what I heard Shaw was top bidder for Western Spectrum

"Shaw Communications has emerged as a top bidder in Western Canada with approximately $190 million in spectrum licenses. This represents on average 20 megahertz of spectrum across our cable operating footprint in Western Canada and Northern Ontario."

GenerationX
07-25-2008, 10:20 AM
I want T-Mobile.
Maybe it's me, but the sidekicks that are being released look sweet.

znx
07-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Kaos

"Shaw Communications has emerged as a top bidder in Western Canada with approximately $190 million in spectrum licenses. This represents on average 20 megahertz of spectrum across our cable operating footprint in Western Canada and Northern Ontario."

Yup.

kenny
07-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Kaos

Various news sources reporting on the auction, you'll probalby see tons of articles if you search on Google News.

Shaw wanted more spectrum but didn't put up high enough bids. They were pissed that Globalive pumped the bids up so high. Globalive ended up with spectrum space in all provinces except Quebec, while Shaw focused on the Western provinces.

I only included all the big bidders in my short list, I think there were more than 200 bidders in total but most are probably investors looking to resell them after the 5 year waiting period before they're allowed to do so.

szw
07-25-2008, 12:56 PM

That was when I first got it and had never used it. I didn't know about all of the stupid little annoyances that would come up over the course of time that I have owned it. I did go through and LOT of trouble for this phone, and don't get me wrong, it's cool, just not as cool as many other products that are out in the market right now. Apple seems to be good at making things look good, I don't know why they don't just put in the extra features into the phone, I would have been completely satisfied with it if it had only a few simple software modifications.

For my iPod, I talked to both the store I bought it from and Apple, the store said they could do nothing and Apple said they would fix it, but for $99 + I pay for shipping both ways.

Haha so when you say "wtf is the big deal about this phone lol Jesus Christ!" you do know, it was the same thing that happened to you that made you want it!

The thing I really can't stand is the lack of the missed call/txt/email reminder. As a result, I'm checking my phone a lot more often (which is actually what I think Apple wanted by leaving it out).

I know there are phones with better technical specs out there, but thats not what Apple was going for really. Apple's products aren't the most cutting edge in technology, they're built with nice user friendly interfaces that are supposed to be pretty intuitive and meant to suck you into their apple product lifestyle.

Windows mobile phones are pretty powerful I guess but I don't know how anybody can stand using them. I guess its the same as Windows....I don't have anymore patience for it. I don't really know much about upcoming technologies but I hope Google's Android OS really takes things to another level (I don't know anything about android...haha)

Regarding your ipod...for sure the store you bought it from wouldn't do anything. Too bad there isn't an Apple store here, they are usually pretty accommodating and I guess its a bit harder to persuade them over the phone to fix it for free.

CKY
07-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Quebecor did come out 4th but all bids placed were for space within Quebec. Likely no effects for us on the west coast

gpomp
07-26-2008, 04:43 PM
blah blah blah stfu and stop whoring the thread.

googe
07-26-2008, 05:48 PM
iphone can forgive your sins

BrknFngrs
07-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Rather than start a new thread I figured I may as well ask here.

I went in to Rogers at the mall briefly to see what it would cost to switch to an iphone but I'm not eligible for an upgrade until october with Rogers. The girl at Roger's said that for this reason I can't buy an Iphone until then. Is this right or is the girl at Rogers just confused? I wasn't expecting to receive any kind of hardware upgrade discount or anything but I was under the impression that you could buy another phone at any time and just pay the retail cost ($300 in this case) and extend your term 3 years from the current date. Does anyone know for sure?

CKY
07-29-2008, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
Rather than start a new thread I figured I may as well ask here.

I went in to Rogers at the mall briefly to see what it would cost to switch to an iphone but I'm not eligible for an upgrade until october with Rogers. The girl at Roger's said that for this reason I can't buy an Iphone until then. Is this right or is the girl at Rogers just confused? I wasn't expecting to receive any kind of hardware upgrade discount or anything but I was under the impression that you could buy another phone at any time and just pay the retail cost ($300 in this case) and extend your term 3 years from the current date. Does anyone know for sure?

You have two choices:

1. You wait til October, do a HUP, and renew your contract for three years

2. You buy the phone outright and are not obligated to renew anything. But this scenario WILL NOT happen in a rogers store because by you buying the phone out right they make close to zero commission. This is however slightly more possible if you call in to Rogers and do it over the phone.

Lagerstatten.ca
07-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Update: I still haven't received the iPhone. Fido CSR still says that the order is being processed. Nice eh?

szw
07-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Update: I still haven't received the iPhone. Fido CSR still says that the order is being processed. Nice eh?

Well people in the US are still lining up and they're not allowed to order over the phone/net, so count yourself a bit lucky!

sr20ed
07-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Hello,

I ordered my 16gb white iphone last week weds and its arrived today.....not bad

Lagerstatten.ca
07-31-2008, 09:33 AM
sr20ed: did you order over the phone or internet? And with who? Rogers or Fido?

Thanks!

ZorroAMG
07-31-2008, 10:00 AM
what, are you creating a survey? :D

Lagerstatten.ca
08-01-2008, 11:03 AM
So my phone was never shipped as it's still processing. WTF eh? Ended up cancelling the order and the reserved phone number.

Went to the Fido kiosk at Marlborough and picked up the 16GB in Black (since the white ones are showing cracks).

Done :)

Time to jailbreak and toss on some cracked apps.

lint
08-01-2008, 11:47 PM
just picked up 2 x 16gb with fido at wireless wave in chinook today. First store I checked, didn't seem to hard to find. Might have been their last 2 16gb