PDA

View Full Version : Camping Suggestions

broken_legs
07-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Hey Guys

I've lived in AB for 6 years now and I have not been camping here once. Seems there has always been an excuse

This all ends this summer!

I want to take the GF to a nice (non party, non annoying family) camp site for a few days in August.

I was hoping to find somewhere that is close to the water at a lake that has some decent swimming.

Any suggestions would be great. I'm starting at zero and need some ideas to research

Edit:

Anyone been to Lake Minewaka or Spray Lake West camp grounds?

tobslau
07-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Hard to find camping spots with NO annoying families, or partying people

But a good start is K country,
Naturally lots of people go there, but there is lots of space
and stay away from the campsites that allow ATVS and dirtbikes
Not sure how the water is like, haven't gone for a while
http://www.braggcreek.ca/kananaskis/camp.htm
http://www.kananaskiscountrycampgrounds.com/elbow.html

Lake louise has an little camp area in the village,
and if you want you can use the lake

I suppose it all depends what type of camping you want to do,
There is leisure camping (no outhouses, stores nearby, etc)
Normal Camping (outhouses, maybe a store 10-20 drive away, pre set campground with fireplace)
Backcountry Camping = You, tent, nature

broken_legs
07-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Yeah im looking for a nice peaceful camping experience

KOA type campgrounds are out of the question, this is what i mean by annoying families.

Known party spots full of teens like waiperous i'd like to stay away from.

Just a nice covy peaceful place, with private camping areas by some water.

I'm looking into Glacier Park in Montana now...

tobslau
07-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Sounds far haha

nj2Type-S
07-24-2008, 12:26 PM
waterton

Kavy
07-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Chinook Lake, nice lake and good hiking trails as well as spread out campsites.

broken_legs
07-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Chinook Lake, is a park-like Public Utility Lot, which has a primary function of stormwater storage

Hmmmm Sounds lovely

EDIT:

This map was pretty helpful for finding camp grounds down south.

http://www.rockymountaincamping.ca/images/FullMap.gif

redline
07-24-2008, 01:41 PM
^^^ dont go on the 532 unless you have a truck that road is fucked up:thumbsdow

Also those campsite on that map are dry camping, meaning no water, power, sewer, showers. You have to bring EVERYTHING you need, and there is no cell coverage at them either.

spikerS
07-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Pigeon Lake provincial park campground is really nice too. LOTS of trees, right on the lake, and the staff there keep the campground in great condition. they empty the garbage cans 2-3 times a day, clean the washrooms twice a day. hot showers and just beautiful in general. we went there for the first time on the july long weekend. only complaint was the price, but for how well they maintain the place, the $27 a night was worth it.

Stunt66
07-24-2008, 06:10 PM
I just came back from buffalo lake which is about 2 hours from calgary heading north. We camped at a place called olmacdonald campground and it was pretty nice there. They have a beach which is equivalent to sylvan lake just not as long, and pretty much all the amenitites. The water is really warm and shallow. We got there at about 8:00 pm and wakeboarded till about 9:30 and was really surprised how warm it was. There was lot's of families but no one was annoying.

edit: don't go to lake minnewanka if you plan on going in the water, that stuff is literally like ice water.

rinny
07-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by redline

Also those campsite on that map are dry camping, meaning no water, power, sewer, showers. You have to bring EVERYTHING you need, and there is no cell coverage at them either.

The 532 is not bad at all, there are plenty of cars that make it through there just fine, you dont need a truck, and its an incredibly nice drive going over the mountain...

broken_legs, I'd recommend checking out Livingstone Falls where another member, Kavy, was talking about going. PM him for an idea of what it was like when he went a week or two ago...The river is nearby, dont think you can necessarily swim in it but you can sit and drink beer in it...

redline
07-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by rinny

The 532 is not bad at all, there are plenty of cars that make it through there just fine, you dont need a truck, and its an incredibly nice drive going over the mountain...

broken_legs, I'd recommend checking out Livingstone Falls where another member, Kavy, was talking about going. PM him for an idea of what it was like when he went a week or two ago...The river is nearby, dont think you can necessarily swim in it but you can sit and drink beer in it...

it is not that great.... depands on the car i guess....

Livingstone falls is a nice area i camp there often. the river is small and fast moving, it is cold as ice and not something you would want to hang out in and drink beer.

Anything deep enough to sit in people will want to fish in and will not want your smelly drunk ass sitting in.

All those camp sites are first come first served and on long weekends fill up by thrusday so go early if you plan on going.

good luck

Quizzes
07-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Sorry to hi-jack this thread...

Does anyone know of a good tenting campsite for around 15 people within a 2-hour radius of Calgary?

Ben
07-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by redline

532 BLOWS, however, 533 to Nanton is amazing!!! They JUST paved that road and it's a real pleasure to drive, banked corners and all. Drove it a couple weeks ago, maxed out a Prius haha.

Theres a great campground called Cataract Creek, very calm, lots of places to hike, no lake but it has a nice creek. It's right by that Livingston Falls location listed on that map. Been going there for over 20 years! More suitable for tenting for sure, and there's lots of "Double sites" to accommodate basically two groups.

redline
07-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Theres a great campground called Cataract Creek, very calm, lots of places to hike, no lake but it has a nice creek. It's right by that Livingston Falls location listed on that map. Been going there for over 20 years! More suitable for tenting for sure, and there's lots of "Double sites" to accommodate basically two groups.

Best way to get there is the highwood juntion and down the FTR it is it only 13km off the highway Livingstone falls is a good 1/2 hr farther down the FTR from Cataract creek

broken_legs
07-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Does anyone have pictures of the Waterton Townsite camp area?

redline
07-29-2008, 07:40 AM
^^^

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/waterton/activ/activ3_e.asp

B_Tran
07-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Cataract Creek is pretty nice, I go there a couple times a year...there are some beautiful Brook Trout you can catch too.

There is also a nice hike to Cataract Falls too.

powerslave
07-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Stunt66

don't go to lake minnewanka if you plan on going in the water, that stuff is literally like ice water.

I was at Minnewanka last summer with some friends and we did go in. You are correct, the water is pretty damn cold. However, what made us go in is the fact that you can dive right off those rocks into sparkling clean, 3 to 4 meter deep water. It's that deep right away. I hate how most Alberta lakes are so shallow. Look at Sylvan Lake, you go 30 meters in, the water is still knee deep.

We're definitely going back to Minnewanka, unless someone can point me to another warmer lake, where you can simply dive off the side, and not have to worry about doing spinal damage to yourself by hitting the bottom with your head.