PDA

View Full Version : My PC has broked.

Midnight_Today
07-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Sup Beyond.

My custom built PC (by myself) has now stopped working. I built it several months ago.

It is a -
Q6600 @ 2.7gHz
2gb RAM
8800 GTS 320MB
In an old Abit Fatal1ty FP IN9 SLi board.
and all the rest of it.

I decided to put it in sleep mode last night and when I tried to wake it in the morning I got lights and stuff but no input from monitor.

It does the same thing when trying to turn it on from cold, lights, fans, hard drive spins up I think but no activity.

I've already tried resetting the CMOS to no avail.

This mobo appears to have no error diagnostic LEDs. Just a few Power LEDs and one SLi LED on the board.

Any help guys?

Oh and I know it's not the monitor because I hear no start up sounds.

Lagerstatten.ca
07-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Have you tried hooking it up to another monitor?

Another video card?

Midnight_Today
07-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Lagerstatten.ca
Have you tried hooking it up to another monitor?

Another video card?

I'm guessing it's not the monitor because my system isn't making the usual noises, like hard drive noises and start up sounds.

I'm gonna try reseating my video card soon to see if it works.

I don't have another PCI-E video card that I can use.

tobslau
07-24-2008, 08:53 AM
So you just let it sleep for the night, and then next morning the computer was "running" but no response from monitor?

What happened when you restarted it?

Thaco
07-24-2008, 08:54 AM
it's probably the vid card, they're famous for coming unseated....

any error beeps?

Midnight_Today
07-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by tobslau
So you just let it sleep for the night, and then next morning the computer was "running" but no response from monitor?

What happened when you restarted it?

Yeah pretty much.
When I restarted it, same problem as trying to wake it from sleep. Fans spin up, hard drive spins up, no input to monitor.
I've powered it off from PSU too and turned it on but same thing happens.

tobslau
07-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Even though i think its odd that a video card would get unseated from just leaving the comp overnite, take a peek at it.
Also, it may be rare but there are cases that the ram can also get unseated (but that usually only occurs when you remove or seat the video card)

If that doesn't work, try using your board's video card (if it has one), if that doesn't work, most likely something wrong with the motherboard.

Midnight_Today
07-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Even though i think its odd that a video card would get unseated from just leaving the comp overnite, take a peek at it.
Also, it may be rare but there are cases that the ram can also get unseated (but that usually only occurs when you remove or seat the video card)

If that doesn't work, try using your board's video card (if it has one), if that doesn't work, most likely something wrong with the motherboard.

I'll try reseating the video card see if it works and I'll try the one memory stick trick as well.

My motherboard doesn't have onboard video unfortunately.

I'll get back to you with the results.

DJ_NAV
07-24-2008, 09:38 AM
did it smell like something burning? The same thing happened to me like 10 years ago and I found out that my motherboard had burnt.

Midnight_Today
07-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Ok update, I salvaged a system speaker and listened for the beep codes. I get loooong beeps continuously.

Which apparently means the RAM is not inserted properly. I reseated the RAM, tried putting just one stick in (each one) and even tried booting with no RAM at all but same beep codes.

What does this mean? Mobo has had it?

tobslau
07-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Midnight_Today
Ok update, I salvaged a system speaker and listened for the beep codes. I get loooong beeps continuously.

Which apparently means the RAM is not inserted properly. I reseated the RAM, tried putting just one stick in (each one) and even tried booting with no RAM at all but same beep codes.

What does this mean? Mobo has had it?

Not really sure about the beeps.
If the beeps= ram not inserted properly, try rereading the motherboard guide (sometimes ram ports have "primary" and "secondary" spots), but since you built the computer from scratch, i'm going to assume you know which ports the ram should be going in.
How do the warning lights look?
As each comp is different, the usual sign is u will hear one beep coming from the motherboard when you turn on the power, and usually one light is green at all times, while there is a different colored light beneath that flashes.
If the light below is solid, then you got yourself a motherboard, which means something is either loose, or you have a hardware failure

If you have a different light set up from what i described, would you mind telling how your set up is like?

Midnight_Today
07-24-2008, 10:58 AM

Not really sure about the beeps.
If the beeps= ram not inserted properly, try rereading the motherboard guide (sometimes ram ports have "primary" and "secondary" spots), but since you built the computer from scratch, i'm going to assume you know which ports the ram should be going in.
How do the warning lights look?
As each comp is different, the usual sign is u will hear one beep coming from the motherboard when you turn on the power, and usually one light is green at all times, while there is a different colored light beneath that flashes.
If the light below is solid, then you got yourself a motherboard, which means something is either loose, or you have a hardware failure

If you have a different light set up from what i described, would you mind telling how your set up is like?

Well the computer has been working for several months with the RAM in those slots. They are in the 1 and 2 position so that's all ok.

This motherboard doesn't really have any diagnostic lights. Just beep sounds.

This motherboard has 5 LEDs on it.
2 FPIO1 LEDs Which light up with the power supply is connected to the power source.
1 VCC LED which lights up when the system is powered on.
1 SLI_LED1 which lights up when the SLi is working.
and 1 5VSB which apparently does the same as the FPIO1s. :bullshit:

So yeah, I'm guessing it's new mobo time unless someone can suggest otherwise.

tobslau
07-24-2008, 11:10 AM
bummer
Hope it works out

revelations
07-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Try swapping RAM between slots, then try running with only one stick at a time in a slot (if your mobo allows this - possible bad ram?)

revelations
07-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Also, we had somethign similar happen at work where the fix was to unplug all cables from the mobo, let it sit for 5 min, plug everything back and its been fine ever since :dunno: