PDA

View Full Version : The best chrysler vehicle to buy

stratusdodge
07-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Can anyone suggest a good chrysler car? I'm looking for sporty, yet family oriented...but not too big and ugly like the 300.

whiskas
07-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Charger or Magnum depending on how much room you need.

dr_jared88
07-24-2008, 08:54 AM
is this a trick question? :dunno:

ShiDave
07-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Best & Chrysler are oxymorons.

r3cc0s
07-24-2008, 09:32 AM
SRT-4...

SRT8 Challenger

stratusdodge
07-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by ShiDave
Best & Chrysler are oxymorons.

YOU are an oxymoron.

ianmcc
07-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Battle of the 08s!!!!

Neil4Speed
07-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by stratusdodge

YOU are an oxymoron.

This is starting to get heated.

BlkMaxima
Originally posted by ianmcc
Battle of the 08s!!!!

I have my money on Shidave:thumbsup:

Eleanor
Viper

/thread

Jayson
07-24-2008, 10:02 AM

YOU are an oxymoron.

good come back :thumbsup:

On a serious note, i had a magnum for a rental car and it was pretty nice, very roomy... I don't think they make 300m's anymore, but a couple years ago i had one of those as a rental, and it got almost 700 kms per tank on the highway!

stratusdodge
07-24-2008, 10:44 AM
The magnum and the 300 are essentially the same car, except the magnum looks a bit better. I was thinking along the lines of mid-size.

analbumcover
07-24-2008, 10:46 AM
SRT4 Calibre

bspot
07-24-2008, 10:55 AM
http://www.quotesfromtheoffice.com/_images/employees/michael_scott.jpg

Michael Scott suggests:

http://www.cars2go.us/wp-content/uploads/sebring.jpg

The Sebring

funkedelic
07-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by whiskas
Charger or Magnum depending on how much room you need.

Basically the same exact thing as a 300, esspecially the charger. Their the same size pretty much. It's like the difference between an older sebring/avenger.

I like the crossfire, the charger and of course the new challengers are out but their pretty big bulky cars

I'm looking for family oriented..

Originally posted by Eleanor
Viper

/thread

Euro_Trash
07-24-2008, 11:21 AM
SRT-8 Jeep all day every day

Masked Bandit
07-24-2008, 11:22 AM
We need a better explanation here.

Why are you restricted to Chrysler product?

TorqueDog
07-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Can anyone suggest a good chrysler car? I'm looking for sporty, yet family oriented...but not too big and ugly like the 300. Dodge Viper SRT-10.

#1 Choice of single dads everywhere (assuming they've also only got one kid).

stratusdodge
07-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
We need a better explanation here.

Why are you restricted to Chrysler product?

Well, I've had a good experience with chryslers in the past, I want to stay loyal to them. Frankly, I don't understand how people can put chrysler and low-end plates like chevrolet (for example) under the same boat.

So basically my reasoning is that, from my experience, chrysler has a good balance of quality:price, and I feel as though I owe it to this large faceless corporation to buy another vehicle from them.

bspot
07-24-2008, 11:41 AM

I don't understand how people can put chrysler and low-end plates like chevrolet (for example) under the same boat.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You just keep putting whatever you want 'under' boats.

TorqueDog
07-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Frankly, I don't understand how people can put chrysler and low-end plates like chevrolet (for example) under the same boat.

So basically my reasoning is that, from my experience, chrysler has a good balance of quality:price, and I feel as though I owe it to this large faceless corporation to buy another vehicle from them. I hate to tell you this...

... you may want to be sitting down when you read this...

... hold onto something sturdy...

... this may destroy everything you've ever been led to believe...

... ready? Here goes...

Chrysler is a low-end nameplate. Just like Chevrolet. Just like Ford. Just like Toyota and Honda. They're entry level.

95EagleAWD
07-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't be buying a Chrysler either, since they're bankrupt pretty much.

They don't make nice cars. Sorry, but it's true. Fit and finish of any import will be the same or better than whatever is rolling off the assembly line for Chrysler.

Tik-Tok
07-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog

Chrysler is a low-end nameplate. Just like Chevrolet. Just like Ford. Just like Toyota and Honda. They're entry level.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

WHY GOD WHYYYYYY????????? :cry:

Yeah, but if he wants to stick to Chrysler, let him, you just can't change some peoples minds, and unless they own something different, they'll never know how much better another brand can be.

To the OP, if I had a choice of Chryler's brand new line-up, for a family, I'd have to pick the new Dodge Journey. If I wanted something a litte LESS family orientated, I'd obviously go for the Challenger.

TorqueDog
07-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Chrysler's ruined a lot of their product in my eyes. Some examples:

- The Durango looks like a four-wheeled pig (although the facelift on the front was much appreciated).
- The Sebring's interior was inspired by those Fisher-Price cars you used to play with in pre-school on the inside, and the outside looks like the designers couldn't agree on a single design philosophy, so they borrowed Chris Bangle from BMW, fed him some LSD, and got him to design the car.
- The Caliber has plenty of interesting features that get overshadowed by its horrible interior and the fact that it's ugly as sin on the outside. They'd have been better off redesigning the SX 2.0.

stratusdodge
07-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I hate to tell you this...Chrysler is a low-end nameplate. Just like Chevrolet. Just like Ford. Just like Toyota and Honda. They're entry level.

Its not though....if anything it's the higher-end of the lower-end line of middle-end vehicles.

Tik-Tok
07-24-2008, 12:20 PM

Its not though....if anything it's the higher-end of the lower-end line of middle-end vehicles.

I think you're a troll.

The Cosworth
07-24-2008, 12:26 PM

How do you figure that? The viper (although it is dodge) is one of the only supercars to not have a major facelift since its release. The corvette has had 2 from what I can remember.

The durango (dodge) sucks

The aspen (see dodge durango... really)

The 300C's were alright

The town and country :barf:

The charger (dodge) sucks

The Magnum (dodge) sucks

The PT Cruise sucks

The STR-4 Neon was fast but was still a neon and a dodge

The SRT-4 Caliber could have been much better and a dodge

They still make the Sebring

Jeep is doing good, but that isn't chrysler really

The trucks need a major facelift but that is dodge too.

Overall the only good part of that conglomerate is Jeep and that is sad if you ask me, especially with Mercedes technology at the tip of your fingers.

jsn
07-24-2008, 12:29 PM

uh... so technically its still lower end... even by your reasoning. Higher end of lower end is still lower end.

Why do you feel so obliged to buy a car from this company? Unless they went out of their way in order to help you, or give you above and beyond average customer service, or give you a huge discount, etc... Did they do anything in particular to warrant this loyalty? i dont think you should feel obligated to buy their cars. You only stated that you chose them for quality and price. There's other manufacturers that will fit this criteria. If you like a certain car thats one thing, but judging by the original post, it looks like you don't have any particular car in mind. That being said, why would you restrict yourself to chrystler? Personally, I'm not really brand loyal. I like certain cars that certain car makers produce... but i wouldn't restrict myself to that brand. :dunno:

Also, giving a price range and things you're looking for in a car would help...

Supa Dexta
07-24-2008, 12:31 PM
I will never touch one, after my parents intrepid eating an engine yrs ago (while new), and now my cousins ram being in 29 times in the last yr for work, they can suck a nut.

The Cosworth
07-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by jsn

Did they do anything in particular to warrant this loyalty?

he would have to change his user name?

nj2Type-S
07-24-2008, 12:42 PM
my parents have had 2 dodge/chrysler vehicles in the past. they had a caravan and a sebring. both of them just cost a fortune due to repairs. :thumbsdow

good thing they've finally listened to me and got a cr-v instead of another dodge/chrysler. :D

stratusdodge
07-24-2008, 12:43 PM
I agree that chrysler's vehicles aren't as stylish as they were in the 90's, but the sebring looks like the way to go.

Eleanor
07-24-2008, 12:46 PM
I agree that chrysler's vehicles aren't as stylish as they were in the 90's, but the sebring looks like the way to go.

Can you show me a chrysler from the 90's that was indeed stylish? Other than the prowler?

Proboscis
07-24-2008, 12:48 PM
What... no love for the 3.3/3.5 and i'm not being sarcastic btw

PHX
07-24-2008, 12:49 PM
All Chrysler has going for them is a state-of-the-art design center that can bring an idea in a designers head to real life production faster than any other automaker. I believe that was the main reason why Mercedes joined Chrysler. What Mercedes didn't take into consideration is that Chrysler might have a great design center, but the components that make up their cars are crap. Look what Chrysler has done to Mercedes quality and reputation in such a short period. :eek:

Eleanor
07-24-2008, 12:51 PM
^ yes, mercedes came out of the deal with the short end of the stick :nut:

ragu
07-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Whenever I see a Chrysler or Chev, I just wanna ask the owner....WHY, just WHY...

The Cosworth
07-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by ragu
Whenever I see a Chrysler or Chev, I just wanna ask the owner....WHY, just WHY...

Why Chev? GMC's are the same, Saturn has some decent vehicles out, SAABs are pretty sweet if that is your thing.... :dunno:

95EagleAWD
07-24-2008, 01:01 PM

Can you show me a chrysler from the 90's that was indeed stylish? Other than the prowler?

You bet.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/95EagleAWD/front.jpg

A sad day when Eagle went under. Quite possibly the best looking sport compact ever made.

whiskas
07-24-2008, 01:02 PM

See sig :rofl:

But honestly it just depends which vehicle you're talking about. I've been taking my neon to the track for over 4 years, and those of you that have seen me out there know I flog that car like it owes me money. And the neon has never failed me once at the track, not one major failure to date.

Eleanor
07-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
You bet.

Shit, pwnt :banghead:

Okay, can you show me a stylish Chrysler from the 90's that wasn't made by mitsubishi? :D

I'm not trying to knock Chrysler here, but you have to admit the 90's wasn't exactly the best decade for domestics.

TaiChino
07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Chrysler is fine if you don't mind buying a car that will depreciate exponentially.

schocker
07-24-2008, 01:07 PM
and seeing as how their sales are so good currently that their trucks have been out selling their cars, that speaks volumes. i would go gm far before ever going chrysler.

ragu
07-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by The Cosworth

Why Chev? GMC's are the same, Saturn has some decent vehicles out, SAABs are pretty sweet if that is your thing.... :dunno:

Chev, GMC, Chrys are all basically the same thing; so many issues and worst built quality (I am talking about car, not truckts). Saturns, I've got no problems with. Every SAAB owner I've seen has only told me electrical messes in that car, even a sales person who works at Saturn Saab said he would never touch it again....:dunno: I mean issue just isn't the quality but also how bad they look....

Proboscis
07-24-2008, 01:17 PM
leave Chevrolet out of this

stratusdodge
07-24-2008, 01:17 PM

Shit, pwnt :banghead:

Okay, can you show me a stylish Chrysler from the 90's that wasn't made by mitsubishi? :D

I'm not trying to knock Chrysler here, but you have to admit the 90's wasn't exactly the best decade for domestics.

The 90's avengers look more modern than many cars.

The Cosworth
07-24-2008, 01:18 PM

Chev, GMC, Chrys are all basically the same thing; so many issues and worst built quality (I am talking about car, not truckts). Saturns, I've got no problems with. Every SAAB owner I've seen has only told me electrical messes in that car, even a sales person who works at Saturn Saab said he would never touch it again....:dunno: I mean issue just isn't the quality but also how bad they look....
You realize that Chevy, GM, SAAB, Hummer, Saturn, Cadillac, Etc. are all the same company and use pretty much identical build methods.

Where as Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge are all one company and use the same build techniques as well?

Just seems like you think all the American cars besides ford are one big company.

I would buy a GM product over a Chrysler product any day I guess is my whole point.

Sorry to get OT.

stratusdodge
07-24-2008, 01:19 PM

You realize that Chevy, GM, SAAB, Hummer, Saturn, Cadillac, Etc. are all the same company and use pretty much identical build methods.

Where as Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge are all one company and use the same build techniques as well?

Just seems like you think all the American cars besides ford are one big company.

I would buy a GM product over a Chrysler product any day I guess is my whole point.

Sorry to get OT.

That's very much on topic as I gather most people don't seem to realize that.

Proboscis
07-24-2008, 01:26 PM
^If I was on a plumbers forum , i would realize my shit does stink

ragu
07-24-2008, 01:37 PM

Sorry to get OT.

I realize that all domestics are the same thing....lets just put it this way. I am not a big fan of domestics and I've only heard horror stories about them.

spikerS
07-24-2008, 01:37 PM
We just bought a Jeep in January and we love it. However, i also agree that most chrysler and dodge products are junk, with the exclusion of the jeep lineup, the viper, the SRT-8 products and the Rams.

n1zm0
07-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Frankly, I don't understand how people can put chrysler and low-end plates like chevrolet (for example) under the same boat.

so the competition for chevrolet would be.. Dodge?

and Chryslers competition would be.. Cadillac?
:dunno:

That's very much on topic as I gather most people don't seem to realize that.
not on this forum (it's a car forum man we aren't that stupid) but it's true that the general public doesn't know about the American big 3 and their birth of the 'same chassis but different name' thing (i know the Japanese do it too but the yankees started it), i had friends in HS who refused to believe that their 91 mercury sable was the same gdamned thing as the 92 taurus that's parked down the street.
on a note of comparison, recently one person i met said there is no way in hell that his TL uses the same chassis as an Accord, in denial because of the amount of $ he spent on his accord with HIDs :rofl:

95EagleAWD
07-24-2008, 01:41 PM

The 90's avengers look more modern than many cars.

And you can swap the Talon drivetrain into them.

Mr_ET
07-24-2008, 01:49 PM
This thread has provided me with great insight about how a domestic car buyer thinks.

It is both scary and amusing all at once :nut:

Proboscis
07-24-2008, 01:57 PM
I as being product of FoBs and me "made in canada" I would always buy GM.

dino_martini
07-24-2008, 01:59 PM

I realize that all domestics are the same thing....lets just put it this way. I am not a big fan of domestics and I've only heard horror stories about them.

Only domestic horror story is the 2.7l V6 Chrysler Intrepid. Google that shit if you have to...horrible horrible vehicle. The Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan used to be really really good, but it was such a cash cow for Dodge/Chrysler that they really just left it alone so it has been the same for like 15 years.

I wouldn't buy a Chrysler, and if you are going to buy one avoid Courtesy Chrysler in the auto mall. Terrible dealership.

Masked Bandit
07-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Now I'm not going to defend the OP on this ......

but......

Domestics do have their place in the market. Generally speaking, yes they are a lower build quality but they are also a lower purchase price (especially when you factor in their 0% financing). If I was in the market for a four door sedan right now I would have to at least consider the Malibu LTZ, Impala SS and of course (eventually) the G8 GT.

With that said, we currently have a Nissan & a Honda in our driveway because I would rather pay more up front and keep the vehicle at home instead of in the shop.

Eleanor
07-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Only domestic horror story is the 2.7l V6 Chrysler Intrepid.

My Dad has one, atrocious vehicle. Why the fuck you need to take off the front wheel to get at the battery I don't know :banghead:

And BTW, the Pinto's a pretty bad horror story too. ;)

Proboscis
07-24-2008, 02:14 PM
fuck'n 2.7 v6 is the worst Mitsubishi engine ever

Destinova403
07-24-2008, 02:23 PM
wow... so many people talking out their asses about domestic build quality VS import build quality... go get a new camry and a new Malibu and put them side by side.

the statistical difference in failures between a brand new import and a brand new domestic is VERY low... the notable exception unfortunately being chrysler...

although, the Sebring will be comming out with a re-designed interior very soon which will use higher grade materials and better ergonomic design.

chrysler was the ONLY profitable domestic and they had small car programs in the works until MB took over them and cancled everything. MB destroyed chrysler. but i digress

my family has always been loyal to chrysler and has never had a problem with their product but the problem they are having is that they dont build anything that fits into what most people want right now.

but PLEASE bear in mind that its impossible to know ACTUALLY how chrysler is doing in terms of sales numbers or profits because its a private company and they dont report their numbers publicly... also please be aware that all of the reports comming out of chrysler has said that the company is "going according to plans" in terms of its re-structuring.

i believe they also are offering their lifetime warranty in canada as well now,

so there are lots of reasons to buy from them IF you like their product.

the Sebring gets good gas milage if you can get over the GOD AWFUL interior and exterior styling.

aside from that my suggestion would be the SRT-4 Caliber... its blisteringly fast in the quarter, offers a lot of upgrade possibilities through Mopar and the Engine is very similar to the one in the Evo...

chryslers and mitsubishis share most of their engine components and manufacture them together through the "world engine" alliance.

i wish people would actually read the auto news instead of talking out their ass about which brand they like

"ALL DOMESTICS ARE BAD ON GAS, BIG SUVs, AND BREAK DOWN A LOT!"

Quiet10
07-24-2008, 02:30 PM
I love my 300.. its like a huge compensation for my tiny penis

Eleanor
07-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403

I didn't read all your post, but I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

schocker
07-24-2008, 02:32 PM
but PLEASE bear in mind that its impossible to know ACTUALLY how chrysler is doing in terms of sales numbers or profits because its a private company and they dont report their numbers publicly... also please be aware that all of the reports comming out of chrysler has said that the company is "going according to plans" in terms of its re-structuring.

"Not so at Chrysler LLC. June sales of Chrysler cars plunged 46.3 percent to 35,973 from 66,950 a year ago. Chrysler truck sales dropped 30 percent in June to 81,484 from 116,397 a year ago."
:dunno:

Alterac
07-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Quiet10
I love my 300.. its like a huge compensation for my tiny penis

Hahah.. thats great.

Proboscis
07-24-2008, 02:37 PM

so does every other car & truck.

JRSC00LUDE
07-24-2008, 02:38 PM
And how many billions did ford just lose in this QUARTER?

From what I've been hearing, both GM and Ford are in more danger of going bankrupt in the next five years than Chrylser. :dunno:

Destinova403
07-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
And how many billions did ford just lose in this QUARTER?

From what I've been hearing, both GM and Ford are in more danger of going bankrupt in the next five years than Chrylser. :dunno:

as i said, that would be because chrysler doesnt really report their numbers, although the guy a couple posts up seemed to have found them... maybe its just the dollar figures that they arent releasing.

Proboscis
07-24-2008, 02:46 PM
GM,Ford,and Mopar go bankrupt. Whats that aid the US gov't said.

heavyD
07-24-2008, 02:47 PM
They will all survive. Automobile companies have been enjoying record year over year sales for the last few years and as we know that doesn't last forever.

If the guy want's a Dodge so be it. Dodge vehicles are gnereally more reliable than Mazdas and Nissans so he could do worse.

510-Trevor
07-24-2008, 02:48 PM
You guys are just bunch of raciests.

:thumbsup:

drewboy
07-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Dane Cook would vouche for the Chrystler Sea Breeze!

Mr_ET
07-24-2008, 02:50 PM
At the end of the day they are selling products that don't appeal to a lot of people.

They offer good INITIAL quality but that goes down the drain after 6 months of ownership.

They offer subpar reliability and have been doing so for about 20+ years...

GM as a whole also competes against itself way too much...

The reason the civic keeps selling so well is not because it has a better price, more features or better looks, it's because it offers better reliability, technology, fuel economy and an overall package that appeals to more buyers year after year.

Quiet10
07-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Alterac

Hahah.. thats great.

:banghead:

I gotta stop leaving my computer unlocked while away from it at work.

You jerk. :guns:

Proboscis
07-24-2008, 03:00 PM
GM does have alot of over lapping products (Oldsmobile) then GMC. The reason the civic sells so well is the steering wheel. (i think)

RATM
07-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Proboscis
GM does have alot of over lapping products (Oldsmobile) then GMC. The reason the civic sells so well is the steering wheel. (i think)

gud 1

Proboscis
07-24-2008, 03:09 PM
thanks Tyler Smith aka TNation

Masked Bandit
07-24-2008, 03:10 PM

GM is quite bad for taking the same vehicle and calling it five different names. When my cousin was looking for a mini-van they were set on GM (used some points for a discount or something) and the had the same van under FIVE names

- Chev Uplander
- Olds Silouhette (sp?)
- Pontiac Montana
- Saturn Relay
- Buick Terazza

Same machines, same prices on all of them. Tell me there isn't some wasted money in administration there?

heavyD
07-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
At the end of the day they are selling products that don't appeal to a lot of people.

They offer good INITIAL quality but that goes down the drain after 6 months of ownership.

They offer subpar reliability and have been doing so for about 20+ years...

GM as a whole also competes against itself way too much...

The reason the civic keeps selling so well is not because it has a better price, more features or better looks, it's because it offers better reliability, technology, fuel economy and an overall package that appeals to more buyers year after year.

Chrysler had a better month in Canada in June than Honda;

http://www.canadiandriver.com/thenews/2008/07/02/canadian-car-sales-up-truck-sales-down-in-june.htm

Looks like people are passing up Civics for Kia's, Hyundai's, Mitsubishi's and Subaru's.

Destinova403
07-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Chrysler had a better month in Canada in June than Honda;

http://www.canadiandriver.com/thenews/2008/07/02/canadian-car-sales-up-truck-sales-down-in-june.htm

Looks like people are passing up Civics for Kia's, Hyundai's, Mitsubishi's and Subaru's.

Chrysler ALMOST sold as much as Toyota/Lexus in June in Canada... only off by a couple hundred cars.

heavyD
07-24-2008, 03:51 PM

Chrysler ALMOST sold as much as Toyota/Lexus in June in Canada... only off by a couple hundred cars.

What was really shocking to me was the amount Hyundai/Kia sells. Kia in particular sells almost as much as Subaru and Mitsubishi combined.

Conclusion: Canada loves small cheap cars lol.

Moe Man
07-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

GM is quite bad for taking the same vehicle and calling it five different names. When my cousin was looking for a mini-van they were set on GM (used some points for a discount or something) and the had the same van under FIVE names

- Chev Uplander
- Olds Silouhette (sp?)
- Pontiac Montana
- Saturn Relay
- Buick Terazza

Same machines, same prices on all of them. Tell me there isn't some wasted money in administration there?

and that is why the civic gets the best selling car. because gm has 20 different models of the sunfire, grand am, grand prix. so when you have this many models it is hard to sell a million cavaliers when you can also buy a sunfire. same car, so if you compared all the sunfires and cavaliers sold GM would have the best selling car.

get it ?

The Cosworth
07-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man

and that is why the civic gets the best selling car. because gm has 20 different models of the sunfire, grand am, grand prix. so when you have this many models it is hard to sell a million cavaliers when you can also buy a sunfire. same car, so if you compared all the sunfires and cavaliers sold GM would have the best selling car.

get it ?

good point i never thought of that

Masked Bandit
07-24-2008, 04:14 PM

good point i never thought of that

Oh I did.

That's why it pisses me off that Ford keeps yackin' that the F-150 is the best selling full size pick up. I would guess that if you combined GM and Chev, they would sell more.

D. Dub
07-24-2008, 04:56 PM
wow... so many people talking out their asses about domestic build quality VS import build quality... go get a new camry and a new Malibu and put them side by side.....

i wish people would actually read the auto news instead of talking out their ass about which brand they like

Brilliant post. The US automakers have been catching up on quality and reliability for the last 10-15 years without a doubt. I would venture a guess that they have pretty much caught up now and are often as or even more reliable that Mitsubishi, Subaru, Nissan.

Yes Toyota and Honda build high quality products -- but don't fool yourself -- the buyer pays for EVERY penny of it.

The market has changed since 1990 --- fer crissakes -- Hyundai is actually making excellent cars at great prices now.

At least Chrysler tries to be innovative and creative in their designs -- Honda's are so boring and uniform in design they may as well just paint them all beige.

jsn
07-24-2008, 04:58 PM

he would have to change his user name?

You know what.. you're right. I didn't even see his username. I stand corrected. he should buy a chrystler :rofl:

dj techsta
07-25-2008, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Moe Man

get it ?

trouble is the imports are starting to take on the same role as GM's, classic example the new Civics AKA Acura CSX. They're basically the same car minus different lights, same shifter, same interior same exterior design.

Another example: Toyota Camry / Scion TC

stratusdodge
07-25-2008, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by D. Dub

At least Chrysler tries to be innovative and creative in their designs -- Honda's are so boring and uniform in design they may as well just paint them all beige.

True dat.

Moe Man
07-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by dj techsta

trouble is the imports are starting to take on the same role as GM's, classic example the new Civics AKA Acura CSX. They're basically the same car minus different lights, same shifter, same interior same exterior design.

Another example: Toyota Camry / Scion TC

yes but far behind, how many CSX's do you see???? can you say that there is more CSX's than civic's????NO. But can you say that there is just as much silverado's as seirra's???? YES.

so the CSX doesnt play a major role, neither does the scion tc.

import manufactures are making copy cat cars but they are a higher brand (lexus/toyota) so the copy cat car is usually in a different Class, like luxury. but when you compare sunfire and cavalier, they are both the same class of car, and both dont have leather, this is different with imports.

Destinova403
07-25-2008, 09:53 AM
^^ werd but you need to remember reasoning... those companies began doing that sort of brand engineering when they held 30-50 percent of the market each and people wanted the variety.

right now, the biggest problem the big 2.5 are having is that they are still too damn big for their market share, and their management is still working the same way that they worked back in the 80s when they held over 70 percent of the total market.

all 3 of them need to drop brands, get rid of factories, fire a bunch of staff, and strip down the costs associated with their size to bring themselves into the same range as the other companies.

whats the point of having enough staff, branding, and equipment to build 1000000 cars when your only selling 500000?

none of the big 3 will ever be completely gone, atleast not for a LONG time. a company doesnt sell over a million cars in a year and go under right away.

once they trim the excess fat and make their operations more efficient, GM and Ford will return to profitability for sure, chrysler is the one that im worried about because they dont have the product lineup right now to support the transition.

n1zm0
07-25-2008, 10:05 AM
wow... so many people talking out their asses about domestic build quality VS import build quality... go get a new camry and a new Malibu and put them side by side.

it's true, but build quality was held by the japanese when their cars were.. BUILT IN JAPAN, the new Camry is built in Kentucky, same with the M series Benz, they have so many fken problems (family friend has owned 2 and both have lists of issues), built in Alabama. I think BMW and Merc have been the smartest by keeping the majority of their factories at home, german efficiency
:thumbsup:
There are only a few import car companies that have plants in North America which 'build quality' is improving IMO, Honda/Acura's built in Ontario for example. Or maybe Canadians are just better quality workers than yankees :D

gretz
07-25-2008, 10:07 AM
new yorker convertable turbo - mmmmmmm

Destinova403
07-25-2008, 10:09 AM
id also like to point out that chrysler lost 500 million this quarter... which compaired to Fords loss of 8 billion really isnt much

chrysler was forced to reveal its financial information by Daimler

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/25/daimler-forces-chrysler-to-give-up-goods-on-515m-q2-loss/

looks like they may have a fighting chance after all.

RATM
07-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Dane i did not know you became a domestic fan
haha you make good points though

RATM
07-25-2008, 12:28 PM
thanks Tyler Smith aka TNation

luv

heavyD
07-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by RATM
Dane i did not know you became a domestic fan
haha you make good points though

Why can't people just be car fans? Having manufacturers go out of business hurts everybody and limits choice.

RATM
07-25-2008, 12:31 PM

Why can't people just be car fans? Having manufacturers go out of business hurts everybody and limits choice.

not disagreeing at all! i think domestic manufacturers are making the best cars they've ever made. I mean the new Ford sedans (such as the Fusion) are great, the new GM cars are even stellar. I just thought Dane was a Honda fan only haha

Destinova403
07-25-2008, 12:31 PM

EXACTLY

i try to remove ignorance when people make blanket statements.

i can respect a good car if its a good car regardless of who made it, and right now, the domestics dont deserve the reputation they have because a lot of the cars that they are releasing are fantastic.

D. Dub
07-25-2008, 12:32 PM

HeavyD

stop talking sense right now -- this is a forum

RATM
07-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub

HeavyD

stop talking sense right now -- this is a forum

lawl :rofl: