PDA

View Full Version : Looking for skyline buying advice

SJracer
07-24-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm looking to talk to people who have bought skylines, for some advice on buying them, what to look for, importers to stay away from, and who to deal with. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Eleanor
07-24-2008, 09:03 AM
gtrcanada.com

Toms-SC
07-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
gtrcanada.com

:rofl:

msommers
07-24-2008, 09:26 AM
gtrcanada isn't really a great place imo. The site is full of friends of friends with sponsors. Stay the fuck away from Feast Auto Export. When I was seriously looking, there were only two places that I would trust but will cost you a bit more.

http://theskylineshop.com/

EDIT: Alright I found it. http://racebredperformance.com/ which is tied to http://www.neweraimports.com/index.htm. Newera has an extremely good rep in the UK. They have been doing this for awhile and the "car pickers" seem to be very trustworthy. The guys up in Edmonton are great. One of their policies is that the OOP will be passed and any repairs/mods needed will be fixed before you buy it.

The president I talked to at TSS is professional and answered all the questions I had perfectly. One serious concern I had was the warranty and how I would get things serviced should something go wrong. He was willing to pay the bill for a repair here at good import shops he knew about to get things fixed. I think they try to stay away from the auction and any cars that have had many modifications as they tend to be more problematic, obviously.

If you're looking for a GTR, I would really stop and think about your budget. Contrary to what some want to think, GTRs are not driven by a grandma. Typically an engine rebuild is required around the 100,000 km mark but of course this isn't ALWAYS true.

Don't rush, get them to look at a bunch of vehicles and send you a shit ton of info. You can also pay them extra to bring it into a Nissan dealership for an inspection which I would really recommend. Lastly, research what you want exactly and get someone to find that. I think the biggest relief exporters/importers have is when you say "I want this, this and this, nothing else."

SJracer
07-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks for your help. I'm not in a huge rush to get one. I'm looking to try and buy in Sept. Ultimately, I'd like to find a skyline that is in good shape with little or no mods done to it.

I've been doing a lot of research and just figured that the GTR is the best in stock form over the single turbo models. I realize that anything can be upgraded etc, just starting with a GTR is lots of power.

I would like to talk to owners to get opinions on both. The initial purchase is what I'd like to keep somewhat lower, as my long term budget to put money into it is much larger. My plan would be to own it as my second vehicle (toy).

funkedelic
07-24-2008, 11:25 AM
here's my advice:

don't buy one

Grogador
07-24-2008, 11:28 AM
don't do it... from friends... and acquaintances...

unless:
- you have a garage
- you can fix cars
- you're buying a second parts car as well

or:
- you have lots of money for labor
- you have a daily driver to use while your Skyrine is in the shop

:thumbsdow

PS. they're slow.

Sorath
07-24-2008, 11:31 AM
they`re pretty reliable unless u get into serious modding.

teg_boya
07-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
they`re pretty reliable unless u get into serious modding.

and they are decently fast with no kids in the backseat/trunk

n1zm0
07-24-2008, 11:40 AM
before you buy one, find resources for maintenance, tips, diy and even the FSM, i find alot of the 'help me my JDM car is fked' threads from some of the ppl on here could've been easily deffered to "WTB: new clutch for 91 JDM ******" , general automotive knowledge, it won't bite :thumbsup:

SJracer
07-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm pretty knowledgible and able to work on my vehicles. I'm just trying to get as much info before buying one to ensure that I don't end up buying one from a bad source.

tentacles
07-24-2008, 12:05 PM
DO NOT import one from Japan, especially not one from an auction. That's how all the junkers end up here. Buy one that's already here in Canada so you can at least check it out. There are enough people/brokers here who know what they are doing and have already brought over ones that are in OK condition. I'm sure there's a couple in the FS section on this very board.

I don't own one my self but from what I've seen good GTRs are NOT CHEAP. They are not cheap because the ones that are in good condition and worth something are actually pretty decent cars that are still fairly sought after in Japan.
If you find one for $9k then it will be beat to shit.

By and large the 15 year rule does work as intended - only serious collectors really get what they are looking for and they are not cheap.

Tik-Tok
07-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by SJracer
I'm pretty knowledgible and able to work on my vehicles. I'm just trying to get as much info before buying one to ensure that I don't end up buying one from a bad source.

But do you know Japanese?

tentacles
07-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Look here:

http://www.global-auto.ne.jp/stock/public_model_home.php?model=BNR32

I don't know these people and maybe they are all scammers, but their prices seem pretty realistic for what they are advertising.

Cooked Rice
07-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by teg_boya

and they are decently fast with no kids in the backseat/trunk

:rofl:

SJracer
07-24-2008, 01:48 PM
I agree, I don't want to import anything without checking it out myself. I'd rather not deal with the hassle of getting it here and inspecting it etc.

Sorath
07-24-2008, 02:41 PM
buy mine, i`ll sell it to u for 14000 its got an rb25 and a gt35r

heavyD
07-24-2008, 02:43 PM
I agree, I don't want to import anything without checking it out myself. I'd rather not deal with the hassle of getting it here and inspecting it etc.

Your 03 Hyundai is a better car. Why bring in a JDM junker? If you want a better car, sell your Hyundai and use that money with the money you were going to waste on the Skyline and get a new MS3, WRX or Lancer Ralliart.

SJracer
07-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Heavy D: I want to have a second car as my toy; to mod and play with basically. Tiburon will be my reliable, backup, winter, daily driver should I need it.

Sorath: as I've only started researching and learning (skyline noob)..what's a gt35r?

Sorath
07-24-2008, 04:12 PM
big turbo

Grogador
07-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Get a Supra RZ, they aren't the JDM equivalent of a Civic... yet...

SJracer
07-25-2008, 08:35 AM
I havent' seen too many supras around. I imagine they are pretty prices as well??

I have my own opinions, but any sktline owners>> what are the advantages and disadvantages with GTRs compared to GTS-t??

n1zm0
07-25-2008, 08:39 AM
I have my own opinions, but any sktline owners>> what are the advantages and disadvantages with GTRs compared to GTS-t??

my SR20 will keep up to your GTS and get better gas mileage :thumbsup:

msommers
07-25-2008, 08:39 AM
It doesn't take an owner to able to differentiate between the two. Do some research my man.

Destinova403
07-25-2008, 09:57 AM
I havent' seen too many supras around. I imagine they are pretty prices as well??

GTR = Twin Tubro, AWD, different body kit (front grille, bumper, etc
GTS-T = i believe single turbo, RWD, looks cheaper :dunno:

rpalm35
07-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403

GTR = Twin Tubro, AWD, different body kit (front grille, bumper, etc
GTS-T = i believe single turbo, RWD, looks cheaper :dunno:

There is Also the GTS-4
- Single Turbo.. AWD, Same suspension as GTR.. But they just don't look as nice IMO.

badatusrnames
07-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Tiburon will be my reliable, backup, winter, daily driver should I need it.

Do you have the Tiburon I've seen with the GTR badge on the back by chance??

stinky_1
07-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Having owned 2 skylines I would suggest

1) Look locally, there are enough here you should have no problem finding one that suites your needs and budget

2) I bought GTS4's. They are as quick as a GTST, which some would argue is slow. I would argue its quick enough. It also has AWD that works AMAZING in the snow. So you can drive it year round. They also come in 4 door (which I wanted) and the GTR does not.

3) There is nothing wrong with Adam @ Feast if you are importing. I have dealt with him and he is a straight up honest guy. There have been deals int he past that went south because of a blown turbo and a GTR. For that reason he will no longer buy "junkers" for guys no matter how much they beg and plead. FYI, the GTR with blown turbos was a $8000 GTR, and the guy wondered why it didnt run like the $15,000 ones??? :dunno:

4) DO STAY AWAY from the skyline shop. They DO buy junkers, repaint them, put some rims on it, and a tune up and charge a premuim for them. If you want a junker that "looks" nice then buy one yourself for $4000, pay $1000 for a cheap paint job and buy some used rims on Beyond for $700. Then you still have the $6000 you DIDNT spend on the TSS car to spend on repairs as it breaks.

Um, other than that I think you should be good. Also, if you want manuals they are availible online. And MOST skyline parts interchange between the 300ZX and the 240SX from here. Engine parts are different, but suspension wise and mechanically they are the same in a lot of aspects. Also, there are enough of them in canada that you can usually find some punk that crashed their parting it out. Of all the imported cars these ones are the esiest to find parts for (other than ones that have a NA coutnerpart).

Hope that helps.

SJracer
07-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Sorry guys I should have clarified that...I understand the differences in the models, I guess it was more about being happy with a single turbo model. As this will be a long term project, the GTR stock is far ahead of the other models IMO.

Badaturernames>> no, I have no badges on my car, just a stock black tiburon with a precision sticker in the back. Lowered, with black/polished lip rims.

Stinky_1>> Thanks for the input. That does help. I agree on finding one locally to check out personally. Hopefully I can find one that is in good condition chassis and bodywise and ok in the engine dept. At some point in the next year I'll tear apart te whole car and build it up.