PDA

View Full Version : Posting articles from other websites on your own

Neil4Speed
07-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Hi there,

I am currently making a website for the organization that I am working for right now. A part of that is adding on articles which are pertinant to what we do here. In the past we have posted links but find that they expire and would prefer for people not to leave our site which then click on them.

What are the copyright laws associated with posting an article from another website on your own. What kinds of credit do you need to give etc?

Ie. Lets say I wanted to post an article from CNN on learning disabilities on my website, could I copy and paste it onto my site? - What credits do I need to give?

Thanks in advance.

A790
07-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Hi there,

I am currently making a website for the organization that I am working for right now. A part of that is adding on articles which are pertinant to what we do here. In the past we have posted links but find that they expire and would prefer for people not to leave our site which then click on them.

What are the copyright laws associated with posting an article from another website on your own. What kinds of credit do you need to give etc?

Ie. Lets say I wanted to post an article from CNN on learning disabilities on my website, could I copy and paste it onto my site? - What credits do I need to give?

Thanks in advance.
Most websites will have an issue with you stealing their content, whether you give them some kind of credit or not. The CNN article, for example, may wind up with you receiving a C&D.

If you're going to do it, the safest route would be to make iot known right at the top of the article that you didn't write it, then specify who did and provide a link back to both the main site and the location of the article.

Don't be surprised if they tell you to stop anyway, though.

Neil4Speed
07-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for your response, I will further check into this!

Anymore input on this? Just curious?

spikerS
07-28-2008, 02:21 PM
i believe as long as you post right at the beginning that it was taken from cnn you are not breaking the law.

If you quote another source like, you make the report, and then use a quote found from another article, at the end you have to put something like "with files from cnn.com" or some such.

don't take this for the gospel though. I have just noticed news sources doing this all the time.