PDA

View Full Version : Persistent Sore Throat

bspot
07-24-2008, 03:44 PM
For about the last three weeks or a month I've had a sore throat off an on. Usually when I wake up its fine, but as the day goes it gets worse. My neck gets a little sore/stiff around my adam's apple and it hurts a bit to swallow. Nothing completely brutal, but certainly annoying.

I guess I've also been a little bit stuffed up and my ears have been full off and on. Whenever I blow my nose or huck a loogie (here comes the detail ;)) it's clear.

I've got an appointment with my doctor, but they couldn't book me in until the 12th of August, so I figured I'd see if anyone has gone through anything similar?

TaiChino
07-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Not personally but mono maybe?

nismodrifter
07-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Can you think of ANYTHING in your living environment that may be causing these symptoms?
Ie: a moldy AC unit.

Have you taken a look at your throat? Is it red or anything other than normal in color?

Are you moving in and out of hot and cold temperatures frequently?

Are you a healthy person overall (ie: not immunosuppressed in anyway as a result of other sickness/not eating well/not sleeping/stress)?

bspot
07-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Can you think of ANYTHING in your living environment that may be causing these symptoms?
Ie: a moldy AC unit.

Have you taken a look at your throat? Is it red or anything other than normal in color?

Are you moving in and out of hot and cold temperatures frequently?

Are you a healthy person overall (ie: not immunosuppressed in anyway as a result of other sickness/not eating well/not sleeping/stress)?

Well here's the lowdown... I went to Europe and right before I left I felt like I was coming down with something (not sure if this is related). On the trip I was sleep deprived the whole time, but felt totally better by the end. After not sleeping all night and flying home the symptoms came back a bit.

A week later I noticed a bit of a wet spot on my bathroom ceiling from the unit above me. I left for the weekend, and when I came back it was dried up, so there might be mold up there now. The wierd thing is though, its usually good in the morning, and I only notice it starting up once I'm at work.

I play hockey, so I'm excercizing in a very airconditioned environment and then going outside to warm air right after.

I've been trying to get more sleep (probably getting a good 7 hours on average) and eating a bit better than I used to for sure. I haven't taken it easy on a weekend in quite a while, so maybe that will help? Just get some rest for a while and see if it goes away before my appointment?

Thanks for your help man!

Crymson
07-24-2008, 04:40 PM
You could have a nasal drip from one of your sinuses that is irritating your throat as you sleep, if your sinuses are infected you should get an x-ray.

JAYMEZ
07-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Alot of people i know have a similiar cold to yours.. Its going around.. Have lots of fluids , cold fx works great.. Also if you have a humidifer you should use it , so you dont wake up with a dry throat..

D. Dub
07-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Three weeks? I'd go see my family doc.

bspot
07-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
Alot of people i know have a similiar cold to yours.. Its going around.. Have lots of fluids , cold fx works great.. Also if you have a humidifer you should use it , so you dont wake up with a dry throat..

That's the weird thing thought, it's totally fine when I wake up which is opposite of when I normally get sick. Usually it gets better as the day goes, not worse. :dunno:

teg_boya
07-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
Three weeks? I'd go see my family doc.

i would stop sucking dick :dunno:

bspot
07-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by teg_boya

i would stop sucking dick :dunno:

I put salt on the dick thinking that would help kill any bacteria though :dunno:

JAYMEZ
07-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by bspot

That's the weird thing thought, it's totally fine when I wake up which is opposite of when I normally get sick. Usually it gets better as the day goes, not worse. :dunno:

Hmmm time heals everything.. do you have sinus'? When was the last time you cleaned your house for dust and also do you have clean bed sheets? Lots of that stuff can cause irratation to your throat.

Anyways , honestly try ColdFX and drink lots of water and tea!

teg_boya
07-24-2008, 04:48 PM

I put salt on the dick thinking that would help kill any bacteria though :dunno:

:rofl: :rofl: thanks for the sig

bspot
07-24-2008, 04:48 PM
^ Yeah it might be time to give the old place a full clean... I've been pretty neglegent lately because I've been gone so much. Thanks for the tips!

JVR1
07-24-2008, 09:46 PM

hahah.. who are you ? MacGyver...!

gpomp
07-24-2008, 09:49 PM
i would probably go see my doctor instead of asking a bunch of 16 year old kids on the internet...

bspot
07-25-2008, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
i would probably go see my doctor instead of asking a bunch of 16 year old kids on the internet...

Like I said, I've made an appointment, unfortunately it's in over 2 weeks from now.

And some of the 16 year old kids on the internet (nismodrifter) are soon to be doctors I believe, so I figured it might not hurt ;)

xrayvsn
07-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Any fever, cough, or fatigue?

There is a number of things it could be.

My guess is that you may have allergic rhinitis which causes the clear discharge and post nasal drip. The allergen might only be present at work or outside. It is usually hard to pin down what it is exactly, but this time of year it can be some sort of pollen that you get exposed to outside, but not in your home.

You should be immune to mononucleosis by your age, but some people your age aren't. You would likely have more symptoms than just a sore throat/dry cough, though. It should also have pretty obvious tonsillar changes when your doc takes a look in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking other infectious things are less likely, but hard to rule out on a car forum, you know?

JAYMEZ
07-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by gpomp

I dont think I am 16 years old.. And since I had almost the same thing as him not long ago.. I ask my dad who is a DR for advice , now im just passing on the word for things he can do before his DR appointment...

n1zm0
07-25-2008, 11:29 AM
i had a sore throat (hard to swallow too) at one point for almost 2 months (yes, retarded but i thought it was nothing, just minor cold.. for 2 months) .

I was getting a bit better but still concerned so i went to a walk in clinic, the doctor said i had strep throat and that it was near the end of healing, no pills or cough medicine the whole time,
he said that was probably the amount of time the human body takes to heal a strep throat kinda thing no pills or antibiotics etc just the healing of the human body, but he still scolded me for not visiting a doctor sooner.

FilthyMcNasty
07-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Sounds like Aids

KeepItGully
07-25-2008, 01:41 PM
It'd be a good idea to get checked out. Staff infection has similar symptons and can easily be underlooked.

Boat
07-26-2008, 09:48 PM
walk in clinic ftw

bspot
01-21-2009, 01:29 AM
Bump.

Found out my place is full of toxic mold. Hurray.

Kritafo
01-21-2009, 09:22 AM
toxic mold...special. Have you had more symptoms since the original post?

Mibz
01-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Seems odd that you wake up fine, I would've guessed the problem would be at work since it gets worse over the day.
:dunno:
Glad you found the problem though.

GQBalla
01-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Bump.

Found out my place is full of toxic mold. Hurray.

oh man...at least you found out the cause...

sucks though how bad is the mold?

Afrodeziak
01-21-2009, 11:09 AM
I had the same symptoms on and off, each time the dr. said I had tonsilitis. I probably had this every 4-5 weeks.. lots of prescriptions, etc.. it was lame. my tonsils were perma inflamed. It would go away for just long enough and then come back.

I'd gargle with salt water as often as possible, drink lots of fluids, I used this throat spray to numb the throat (no medicinal purpose other than numbing an aggravated throat). Vitamin C, lots of Tea, Don't consume a tonne of alcohol or sugar, just good diet.

I had them out in Sept and have been pretty good since then. Now if I feel shitty it's just due to lack of sleep. If you do find it's the tonsils and removal is mentioned, be ready for a shitty 2 weeks. I'm 26 and can honestly say it's the shittiest pain I've been through.

Tik-Tok
01-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Afrodeziak
BLAH BLAH BLAH

:facepalm:

nismodrifter
01-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Afrodeziak
I had the same symptoms on and off, each time the dr. said I had tonsilitis. I probably had this every 4-5 weeks.. lots of prescriptions, etc.. it was lame. my tonsils were perma inflamed. It would go away for just long enough and then come back.

I'd gargle with salt water as often as possible, drink lots of fluids, I used this throat spray to numb the throat (no medicinal purpose other than numbing an aggravated throat). Vitamin C, lots of Tea, Don't consume a tonne of alcohol or sugar, just good diet.

I had them out in Sept and have been pretty good since then. Now if I feel shitty it's just due to lack of sleep. If you do find it's the tonsils and removal is mentioned, be ready for a shitty 2 weeks. I'm 26 and can honestly say it's the shittiest pain I've been through.

See post 4 above yours :facepalm:

Hope you get the mold issue sorted out soon :(

bspot
01-22-2009, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
toxic mold...special. Have you had more symptoms since the original post?

Well at the time I thought i was just on a bit of a bad run of getting sick because of being run down, but I ended up burning through 6 antibiotic prescriptions over the summer/fall for sinus infections and many many bottles of nasal steroids. At its worst I was getting sick every couple weeks. So now we'll see how it goes once it's all cleaned up.

Originally posted by GQBalla

oh man...at least you found out the cause...

sucks though how bad is the mold?

Pretty pervasive. To the point that if I wanted to grab any of my stuff I was by no circumstances allowed in my bathroom and the rest of the place I could only go in for a few minutes with a mask on.

rumeo
01-22-2009, 02:10 AM

Well at the time I thought i was just on a bit of a bad run of getting sick because of being run down, but I ended up burning through 6 antibiotic prescriptions over the summer/fall for sinus infections and many many bottles of nasal steroids. At its worst I was getting sick every couple weeks. So now we'll see how it goes once it's all cleaned up.

Pretty pervasive. To the point that if I wanted to grab any of my stuff I was by no circumstances allowed in my bathroom and the rest of the place I could only go in for a few minutes with a mask on.

damn thats bad