PDA

View Full Version : Pricing for Cat-back system???

frenchdriver
08-08-2002, 04:20 AM
What's the price range for a good stainless-steel catback? (if stainless-steel is the way to go?)

I am leaning more and more towards a full 2.5" brullen exhaust but it seems kinda steep.... some people (friends and shops) that it will be from $800 to $1400

sounds steep for a piece of metal pipe that bends around once in a while :confused:

any ideas what I should do about my exhaust/muffler need that will keep growing once Kramer mazda is done with my engine?

Thanks

:barf:
there's something wrong with my smily.... it's green....

GT2NV
08-10-2002, 06:40 PM
hmmmm why not get annodized alluminum its pretty much the same but wayyyyy cheaper:thumbsup:

Ekliptix
08-10-2002, 07:04 PM
well I got my exhaust done for under $500. 2-1/4" piping using crush bends and non-stainless piping, Magnaflow Streetseries mirror finish muffler, and resonator. If you go this route, I highly recommend getting a Magnoflow resonator over a no name one like I did.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid23/p614de51fcfdf95941875de6711368c45/fda2d5c6.jpg

4wheeldrift
08-10-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by frenchdriver
[B]I am leaning more and more towards a full 2.5" brullen exhaust but it seems kinda steep.... some people (friends and shops) that it will be from $800 to $1400

sounds steep for a piece of metal pipe that bends around once in a while :confused:

There's a lot more to it than just "a piece of metal pipe that bends around once in awhile". The brullen exhausts are very nice, extremely good quality and made in canada. A mandrel bent system will always be more expensive than a simple crush bent setup like you can get locally, but they also offer far better flow characteristics.

In this province, I wouldn't go with anything other than stainless. Anodized aluminum might be ok, but mild steel will definetly not hold up to the road chemicals and salt they use in winter time.

Personally, I think you're gonna end up paying through the nose for any system you get other than a custom crush bent setup made locally. The MX-3 doesn't exactly have a huge aftermarket following, which means that the parts you get are going to be more expensive to make up for the lower volume. Its one of those unfortunate parts of driving a car that isn't well supported by the performance aftermarket.

2000impreza
08-10-2002, 08:39 PM
don't go cheap on exhaust. crush bent piping is very restrictive unless your exhaust is fairly straight. i've gone through 3 exhaust systems and the cheap ones just doesn't cut it for me. its not just the price but the fit, quality, sound,....etc that you get with a better brand name.

brullen makes decent exhaust systems but i find them to be very heavy. don't know if weight matters to you or not.

Redlyne_mr2
08-11-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
don't go cheap on exhaust. crush bent piping is very restrictive unless your exhaust is fairly straight. i've gone through 3 exhaust systems and the cheap ones just doesn't cut it for me. its not just the price but the fit, quality, sound,....etc that you get with a better brand name.

brullen makes decent exhaust systems but i find them to be very heavy. don't know if weight matters to you or not.
exactly..stainless steel or titanium is the way to go ...looks rad won't rust, isnt restrictive....dont cheap out...you'll regret it in the end