PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise: Sunridge Mazda broke my Mazda Tribute

qkslvr
07-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Here's the story:

I brought my car in yesterday to Sunridge Mazda for a tune-up, brake service and fluids check to prepare for my August long-weekend trip. The service advisor told me he was going to contact me when everything was done.

It was about 5PM and they haven't called yet and they close at 5:30PM. So, I decided to drop by and check on the status.

When I talked to the service advisor, he said something went wrong and the vehicle is now not running properly; he said the car shakes and it won't run pass 50 km/h. He said the catalytic converter might have went. So, this got me furious 'coz I brought the car in with no issues, and they were even able to drive it in bay with no issues. How can the catalytic converter just go all of a sudden?

Luckily, I was able to talk to a mechanic who was working on my vehicle for the brake service. After a bunch of questions, he admitted that the mechanic who tuned-up my vehicle accidentally switched the coils sequence which caused it to misfire, which then melted the catalytic converter. So, now the car is not misfiring anymore but it doesn't have power when you drive it; he said it basically doesn't speed up. However, he is still not sure if this is due to the catalytic converter melting. He said they already have the catalytic converter on order and they should be able to replace it today.

What annoys me the most is that they didn't even bother calling me to advise me that I couldn't pick my car up. Why did it have to take so much digging before they admitted that their mechanic screwed up? They didn't even offer me a courtesy car after all the hassle.

Could this screw up cause more issues down the road which is unseen right now? Do you guys think I can get some compensation for all the hassle, i.e. discount?

RATM
07-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Coles Notes:

don't go to Kramer Mazgay

84 318i
07-25-2008, 10:32 AM
A good business would fix everything that they messed up themselves (both parts and labour free). If I had you walk through my door and wanted to keep you as a customer I would offer free labour for those services you brought your car in for and only make you part for parts on that.

As for down the road it's really hard to say...

heavyD
07-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Sunridge Mazda and Honda West were both the most unprofessional service departments I've ever been involved with. I was so taken back by Sunridge Mazda's poor customer service that we traded in our Mazda and will never buy one again.

Lex350
07-25-2008, 10:41 AM
no discont for you. They should be expected to fix it. I think their policy is if they have to keep the car over 3 days they will get you something to drive. That usually means some shit box from Enterprise.

Sunridge's service department usually is pretty good.......just stay far far away from Kramer.

heavyD
07-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by qkslvr
Could this screw up cause more issues down the road which is unseen right now? Do you guys think I can get some compensation for all the hassle, i.e. discount?

Make sure when you pick up the car you take it for a good drive and if it doesn't run as well or better than before the service, immediately return it to them and get them to look at it. It's possible that the two backwards cylinders could have fouled plugs but I doubt they ran it long enough to damage the valves but you just never know.

Masked Bandit
07-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by rotten42

Sunridge's service department usually is pretty good.......just stay far far away from Kramer.

Are you kidding? I hear a ton of horror stories about Sunridge Mazda / Nissan!

heavyD
07-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

I can't comment on Sunridge Nissan but being older than most that post on beyond I've dealt with far more dealers than most and when I say Sunridge is the worst of my dealings that says alot about how poor they are.

qkslvr
07-25-2008, 11:23 AM
thanks for the input... hopefully, it's just the cat. i guess i'll know this afternoon...

Lex350
07-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

actually...out of all 3 mazda dealers they gave me the best service......and I had lots of experience goign to these dealers....hell, I drove an RX8!!!!

heavyD
07-25-2008, 12:30 PM
actually...out of all 3 mazda dealers they gave me the best service......and I had lots of experience goign to these dealers....hell, I drove an RX8!!!!

Are you driving something different now?

Kennyredline
07-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Thinking they should call you to say you can't pick up your car is asking way too much these days. There is no customer service anywhere anymore, and it's always the customers responsibility to find out what is going on.
Count yourself lucky if they don't try to charge you for all the extra work they've had to do.;)

whiskas
07-25-2008, 02:38 PM
What the hell does the coil pack have to do with brake service.

heavyD
07-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
What the hell does the coil pack have to do with brake service.

Nothing but it has alot to do with a tune-up. Re-read the initial post again.;)

Lex350
07-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Are you driving something different now?

I bought an IS350 off of Ryan....just waiting for it to come in.

heavyD
07-25-2008, 03:03 PM

I bought an IS350 off of Ryan....just waiting for it to come in.

Nice car, what color? I think you will have alot less problems with you new car lol.

Lex350
07-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Nice car, what color? I think you will have alot less problems with you new car lol.

Black....w/ the sport package.

qkslvr
07-25-2008, 06:04 PM
I got my vehicle back this afternoon and it seems to be running fine.

The service advisor said they had to replace one primary catalytic converter as it was melted, free of charge, and they have also gone ahead on ordering a replacement for the other primary cat for preventative measure, which is also free of charge. They also gave me 10% off for parts and labor on all the services done, which I thought was not enough for all the hassle.

Anyways, just to cover my back, I made them sign a note that all the extra work was done, i.e. cat replacement, due to a mechanic replacing the coil in incorrect order after a tune-up.

inline6turbo
07-25-2008, 06:11 PM
So really the only thing they didn't do right was call you to advise you about the problem?
They made a mistake - fixed it for free - discounted your other work and are replacing a perfectly good one, just in case.
I see no problem, and they're going above and beyond to rectify the problem. Maybe the service advisor was immensely swamped with calls and other bitchy cutomers and hadn't had a chance to call you. Maybe give them a bit of a break?
Shit happens, no need to get your panties in a knot and post on Beyond about it
:dunno:

qkslvr
07-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Do I seem to be bitching on my last post? My last post was to give an update that they did try and resolve the issue.

One reason for posting this is to get some advise if I will encounter more issues in the long run due to this incident, and if I'm entitled to ask for some discount. I mentioned the whole story to help beyonders understand what the issue was and what caused it. Anyways, how can a fellow beyonder give an advise if they don't know what's going on?

Wouldn't you get ticked if you brought your car in, in good condition, for a simple tune-up and found out that it's not running properly anymore, which leaves you without a vehicle to go to work, drive your kids to the sitter, and do your other errands? Wouldn't it even get you more irritated when they try to avoid telling you what really happened which was their fault? You see, if they were just prompt, frank and honest in the first place, it wouldn't be that bad 'coz I could have arranged for some other means transportation.

Hopefully, you'll understand that some beyonders have life other than cars.

Carlton
07-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by RATM
Coles Notes:

don't go to Kramer Mazgay

too bad he is talking about sunridge mazda and not kramer...

Mibz
07-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Carlton

too bad he is talking about sunridge mazda and not kramer... His point still stands.
I just got a letter from Kramer informing me that my '02 Protege 5 is celebrating its 2nd anniversary. In actuality my Neon and I are celebrating our 2nd anniversary and I hope that '02 Protege 5 has crumbled and burned.

heavyD
07-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
His point still stands.
I just got a letter from Kramer informing me that my '02 Protege 5 is celebrating its 2nd anniversary. In actuality my Neon and I are celebrating our 2nd anniversary and I hope that '02 Protege 5 has crumbled and burned.

Another satisfied Protege 5 owner? Ours was junk as well. Actually that is being kind as it was 100% pure trash like most Mazda's after the 3 year warranty expires.