PDA

View Full Version : Longest Road Trip Experiences

ianmcc
07-25-2008, 03:18 PM
What is the longest road trip you have done?
I recently did a Calgary to Arkansas to Louisiana road trip for a car show/vacation (won a Longest Distance Travelled Award!)-around 8000 km total, and all solo. Did the Sulphur, LA to Calgary stretch in 2 1/2 days (thats around 3500 km or so).

CSMRX7
07-25-2008, 03:33 PM
My Longest is 6 weeks on a motorcycle (and the occational truck) in SE Asia. Road through Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand and Burma.

The worst part is I got robed in Cambodia, they took my camera which sucked, so I only had pictures from Thailand and Burma!

clem24
07-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by CSMRX7
My Longest is 6 weeks on a motorcycle (and the occational truck) in SE Asia. Road through Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand and Burma.

The worst part is I got robed in Cambodia, they took my camera which sucked, so I only had pictures from Thailand and Burma!

Totally envious.. Except for the getting robbed part. And the motorcycle part. :rofl:

CSMRX7
07-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Totally envious.. Except for the getting robbed part. And the motorcycle part. :rofl:

Meh, You haven't lived until you have been in a motorcycle accident in a third world country, and been robbed on vacation!

Grogador
07-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Curious as I'll be traveling there someday, how did you get robbed? Mugged or ?

CSMRX7
07-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
Curious as I'll be traveling there someday, how did you get robbed? Mugged or ?

I have been robbed a few times. Sometimes it just happens. Things to do to avoid it. Travel during the day, in a group, and don't flaunt your money at all.

I have been robbed a few times in a couple of countries. In Brazil it was my own fault. Was on the beach after dark with a girl.

In Cambodia a big truck cut us off on the bikes pulled out guns and then cleaned us out. I always try and travel with as few valuables as possible, especially when you are far away from the big cities.

One of my tricks is to mail my stuff from big city to big city, and then just carry the necesities in the remote areas.

Team_Mclaren
07-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Jason, i love how you pretty much ended this thread from the second post:rofl: :rofl:

JAYMEZ
07-25-2008, 04:50 PM
^^ Lol yup cant say I can come close to that lol..

Did a roadtrip in Australia pretty much all down the East Coast.. Then Cali - Calgary , Pheniox - Calgary , Florida to San Diego. Thats pretty much it.

schocker
07-25-2008, 04:57 PM
nowhere close to the motorcycle trip here. farthest has to be detroit to calgary

jus_sum_guy
07-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Calgary - Montana - Nevada - California - Arizona - Mexico City

Supa Dexta
07-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Been back and forth across canada a few times.. And one time ended up with close to 10k on in a week, between halifax and edmonton.. Not sure how.. Criss-crossin I guess. :rofl:

em2ab
07-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Damn, I thought I would have won this.

Calgary - Montreal - Atlanta - New York - Toronto - Calgary

I just got back a month ago.

BlueGoblin
07-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Did a two week rough lap of NZ; about 3400km.

CSMRX7
07-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
Jason, i love how you pretty much ended this thread from the second post:rofl: :rofl:

Haha and that is only one.

I did Europe in a 1967 MGB, and this winter I plan to go from Caracas to Rio offroad through the Gran Savana and the Amazon.

Jlude
07-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Been back and forth across canada a few times.. And one time ended up with close to 10k on in a week, between halifax and edmonton.. Not sure how.. Criss-crossin I guess. :rofl:

I've gone from Calgary to N.B. a few times....

Drove from Calgary to California 4 or 5 times now.

I've done a couple road trips down the east coast of the US

davidI
07-25-2008, 09:08 PM
We picked up on a long weekend once and drove 21 hours from Calgary to Vegas, partied for 16 hours and drove 21 hours back. 2 drivers alternating. I'd done the drive in 18 before but construction was bad.

Also driven from Calgary to Mexicali, Mexico, but over a few days.

sexualbanana
07-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by davidI
We picked up on a long weekend once and drove 21 hours from Calgary to Vegas, partied for 16 hours and drove 21 hours back. 2 drivers alternating. I'd done the drive in 18 before but construction was bad.

Also driven from Calgary to Mexicali, Mexico, but over a few days.

The drive to and from Vegas should only be about 17-18 hours. Our drive to Vegas was 24, but only because we got arrested at the border which held us back 6 hours. Then our trip home was 17.

hadookin
07-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

we got arrested at the border

please explain.

Destinova403
07-27-2008, 11:08 PM
my longest road trip was to Vancouver... but i wanted to share my robbed on vacation story...

in Venezuela we got into a taxi, and the driver pulled a gun and took all the stuff we had on us, a camera, and some cash, and my watch...

it was freaky as hell.

MoDo27
07-28-2008, 02:06 AM
No doubt about the border bullshit. Last time coming back in my buddies talon, "pull over there" -FUCK.

Guy goes all through the car, pops hood "Ohh, so what shop just installed all this turbo stuff" -Its a stock turbo car, did the pipes myself (he did).

Got a little freaky when the cop was all "I dont believe your fucking story" The other cop/guy had to tell him to chill out.

Welcome to Canada. What a joke.

There were also about 4 American guys in their 20's in there too, and they got turned around after we were able to go on our way.

Neither of us have been back since, too much bullshit for nothing.

mekeni
07-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Calgary - Montana - Idaho - Utah - Phoenix - Nevada - California

and back (around 6K)

3g4u
07-28-2008, 09:29 AM
8,500 KM on my harley last month. Calgary to tombstone AZ to Vegas and back in 9 days.

TheStig
07-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Drove from Saskatoon to Edmonton and back in a day (10hrs total) , and from Regina to Winnipeg and back in a day (13hrs total)... not really long trips, but boring as hell!

khtm
07-28-2008, 10:29 AM
12,000 KM in 3 weeks from Calgary to Cabo on a KLR. Wouldn't want to do a trip that condensed again.

colinderksen
07-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Calgary to Halifax (all in Canada). Halifax to Calgary through the States with a few stops along the way. 12,000km in total with 2 weeks in Halifax and area.
Hit the border to States on way back through N.B., last thing American border guard said after the car and our bags were searched was "no offense, but you two don't belong here".

Supa Dexta
07-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by TheStig
Drove from Saskatoon to Edmonton and back in a day (10hrs total) , and from Regina to Winnipeg and back in a day (13hrs total)... not really long trips, but boring as hell!

HA.. I spend that long driving somedays out to an oil rig, before I even start my work day.

Canmorite
07-30-2008, 08:35 PM
9K kilometeres over two months around Europe. Best road trip ever.

Graham_A_M
07-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Bought this lemon Mazda MX6 over the internet (bad idea) and flew down to Atlanta to pick it up. I did the 4400km trip over three days. VERY boring, but Georgia, Missouri, and Montana were incredible (it never freezes in the deep south so the vegetation was very intriging to me). The rascism down in the dirty south boggles my mind. The tension between black and white folk is just incredible, I could feel it when I got off the plane. (I'm white) and I asked a black person for directions..... probably the oddest look I've ever recieved, but I think he knew I was a tourist, since my "accent" and vocabulary wasn't quite on par with what is normal over there. :rofl:

Here was my trip, in a nutshell
http://www.geocities.com/ysr80cc/brutalmap.gif

Yeah I'll never understand any Yankee that makes fun of Sask. when they have South Dakota. If you've ever trekked the I-90 through there, you'll probably never ever forget the town "WALL DRUG". Three fucking hours of two story billboards saying shit like "Free water to genuine hunters, only at WALL DRUG" and just crap like that.... for three hours on the I-90. It sucked, and there is nothing else to do on that straight road other then look at those signs. :whipped:

Definately interesting, but I'll never do that again. I only had $300 to fund the WHOLE trip back (and lots of prayers my car never broke down):rofl: so I didn't get to see or do half the stuff I wanted to, but still fun. Didn't tell friends or family that I was doing it, I just showed up with a shitload of pics and a new(er) car a few days later.
Mount Rushmore was nice, but nothing to phone home about. I wish I could have stayed on the south (then) west coast and came up that way. I'd LOVE to see California, and the pacific coast. Someday I will soon I hope. http://www.geocities.com/ysr80cc/puppy.gif