PDA

View Full Version : Need help from DSM gurus

Cooked Rice
07-26-2008, 12:18 PM
I have a 92 Galant as a daily driver. It's the SOHC 4G63, yields like 100HP :( Is the exhaust manifold from the DOHC 4G63 turbo compatible with the SOHC? Along with the downpipe and such? Also, what small turbos bolt up on these manifolds? I'm just looking to do a mild power adder to this motor. A 100HP engine pulling a 4 door sedan is horrible. I know pretty close to dick all about DSMs, I'm a Nissan guy hahaha.

Supa Dexta
07-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Your best bet would be to swap a whole turbo head onto it, that way you get dohc with the turbo cams and everything. There was just an entire turbo talon awd at the edmonton junkyard, they do come thru the yards every now and then, you just have to get to it quick.. Even if you needa replace some valves it's probably your best, cheapest option. I'm not up on whats swapable between the 2 bases, I'm just all about big power from a 4g63T. :D My understanding is people with NT's generally swap the whole engine out.

This is what I've been up to lately:

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/4126/dscf1337wg2.jpg

Cooked Rice
07-26-2008, 12:37 PM
I was thinking about just swapping the motor, But right now it's automatic and has A/C, both are nice on a daily driver. So retaining those would be nice.

Supa Dexta
07-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah auto's fine, ac may be fine to keep as well, although it would likely need a recharge, the block should still be compatible. A lot of the high HP dsms are actually goingback to autos to run 9's and 10's since the stock dsm' trannies, even race built aren't the most reliable piece of equipment.

heavyD
07-26-2008, 01:14 PM
For all the trouble you would be better off dropping in a jdm 4g63 as they can be had for a fair price. There shouldn't be any problems using your automatic transmission as long as you don't go crazy on the hp and the swap should be pretty straight forward since the Galant is the same platform as the dsm. Automatic 1G DSM's came with a 13B turbo which was smaller than the 14B that came on manuals. I miss my 4G63's but I'm looking forward to the 411B.
:)

Cooked Rice
07-26-2008, 01:36 PM
What would I do about the wiring and ECU to keep the automatic tranny from the SOHC, but with the DOHC 4G63 turbo motor? Seems like I should just do a 5 speed conversion.

962 kid
07-26-2008, 03:10 PM
If you're going to do all that, just save yourself the hassle and buy a galant VR4. To be honest I wouldn't even bother doing the DOHC swap when you can just buy the car with a manual and the 4G63T.

Cooked Rice
07-26-2008, 03:15 PM
:confused:

that's like telling 240SX owners that want a SR20DET to go buy a 180SX instead. And it's not like there's a whole lot of USDM VR4s driving around either :rolleyes:

heavyD
07-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
If you're going to do all that, just save yourself the hassle and buy a galant VR4. To be honest I wouldn't even bother doing the DOHC swap when you can just buy the car with a manual and the 4G63T.

Galant VR4's are rare in the US.

962 kid
07-26-2008, 07:00 PM
A lot less work to find a VR4 than it is to do a non-turbo -> turbo swap, a SOHC-> DOHC swap and an automatic -> manual swap. But hey do whatever.

If your SOHC is anything like my 4g64 was, you'll need turbo pistons as the SOHC ones are a 3-valve design - I think the rods are different as well. The exhaust mani from a DOHC will not fit, and you'll need a turbo oil pan, front water pipe and possibly a thermostat housing. The ECU from an early DSM will work with your wiring harness, but the ECUs are slightly different. The automatic ECUs have a different map as the automatic cars have smaller injectors than manuals, and manual ECUs have a ground at pin 104 rather than a neutral safety switch.

EK 2.0
07-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Pffft, just sell it and buy a Honda...it's what I did...haha

But in all seriousness, finding a donor TSI for all the various things you will require would be your best bet. But do you really wanna dump that sort of coin into that whip?? Pick up an early model Subaru and call it a day...

962 kid
07-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Pick up an early model Subaru and call it a day...

He said he wanted to go faster, not uglier

EK 2.0
07-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by 962 kid

He said he wanted to go faster, not uglier

Why I oughta....:guns:

heavyD
07-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Why I oughta....:guns:

Are you a Subaru fanboy now?

EK 2.0
07-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Are you a Subaru fanboy now?

No, no D, not at all...Still a Honda fanboy. Haha

But I mean on such an old DSM product...Having "been there, done that" I can say that it would be better money spent on a newer platform....I am still NO WHERE near the Richard Chan Philosophy of OEM owns all...but just smartening up as to dumping money into a project that although had crazy potential will suck money out of a bank account like a crack whore sucks dick...

95EagleAWD
07-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Galant VR4's are rare in the US.

Yeah, and it's tough to find a good one. Mine certainly wasn't.