PDA

View Full Version : Attention International University Students!

Weapon_R
09-03-2003, 03:43 PM
When you came to Canada to attend the university of your choice, what documents did you require and did you have to complete grade 12 to enter university?

Also, to the engineers, what is the hottest area in engineering in the next decade or so?

Aleks
09-03-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Also, to the engineers, what is the hottest area in engineering in the next decade or so?

Mechatronics Engineering

rage2
09-03-2003, 03:51 PM
When you came to Canada to attend the university of your choice, what documents did you require and did you have to complete grade 12 to enter university?
Student Visa, and Gr. 12 equivilent education. You get most of your courses from out of country credited to you, but most likely you'll need to take Gr. 12 english.

Also expect to pay 2-3x more than the normal U of C student for tuition, because you don't get government subsidy.

Weapon_R
09-03-2003, 03:58 PM
What if the student came from an American-education based school with an understanding of english that rivals most students who were born here? And also backed by a decent score on the TOEFL exam?

btw - she's also applied to take the SATs in November.

rage2
09-03-2003, 04:04 PM
oh yea, TOEFL. Forgot about that. TOEFL is a requirement after u get admitted (you have to take it). Since she already got it, she's probably exempt. So in that case, only a student Visa. Not sure how gr. 12 equivilency english courses work, best to check with Mount Royal. That's where all the foreign chicks come to do high school equivilency crap to get into U of C or mount royal. :)

Ajay
09-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Tuition isn't necessarily going to be two or three times what it normally would be.

I have a friend who's about to start a term in Prague, Czech Republic and he's paying his fee's to the UofC and taking UofC equivalent courses while he's in Prague. I guess it really depends on the program you're doing.

If it's a term abroad program you'll more than likely be paying fee's back to your own institution but if it's an exchange program then it's gonna be paying to the hosting university.

RSeXy
09-03-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
Tuition isn't necessarily going to be two or three times what it normally would be.

I have a friend who's about to start a term in Prague, Czech Republic and he's paying his fee's to the UofC and taking UofC equivalent courses while he's in Prague. I guess it really depends on the program you're doing.

If it's a term abroad program you'll more than likely be paying fee's back to your own institution but if it's an exchange program then it's gonna be paying to the hosting university.

Yup! the best way to study abroad is through an exchange programme with your current university.

Weapon_R
09-03-2003, 04:14 PM
The programs that we take for granted here are not available to others there.

The university she is looking at studying at is nearly 20k U.S. per year, and it is the best around. Having said that, it is sub-par compared to the institutions we have here.

3G
09-03-2003, 07:32 PM
The programs that we take for granted here are not available to others there.

The university she is looking at studying at is nearly 20k U.S. per year, and it is the best around. Having said that, it is sub-par compared to the institutions we have here.

yah my cousin goes to one of those..bring her here man

4wheeldrift
09-03-2003, 09:29 PM
Also, to the engineers, what is the hottest area in engineering in the next decade or so? Materials engineering is going to get interesting, with all sorts of interesting new alloys and materials coming out. Chemical engineering is always good, whether its creating a new process or figuring out how to make an existing one better. mechanical and electrical engineering, as they relate to automation and robotics are going to be hot. Structural engineering, buildings are getting bigger and bigger, and the demand for innovative techniques to make them bigger still will be strong particularly if any of the planned arcologies come to see the light of day. Civil engineering, same as structural, bigger bolder projects every day utilizing advanced techniques and materials.

Just about any type of engineering you can think of has some cutting edge things going on. All a question of what you think you will enjoy.

RiCE-DaDDy
09-03-2003, 10:06 PM
yea man mechanical!!!

im gonna make honda race engines for f1!!!!

Weapon_R
09-04-2003, 12:09 AM
For all the science majors now:

What is the closest degree program offered by the U of C that deals with genetic engineering, and is there any demand in Calgary for this type of work? She's very bright and considering all her options, mainly in the science/math field.

Gondi Stylez
09-04-2003, 12:33 AM
For all the science majors now:

What is the closest degree program offered by the U of C that deals with genetic engineering, and is there any demand in Calgary for this type of work? She's very bright and considering all her options, mainly in the science/math field.

more then likley!! im doin my undergraduate degree in neurogenetics and that is HUGE especially in the states! but here in calgary it is also very good! if she likes research and such it is a good field, although u need ur PhD to do something major w/ ur life but since shes bright im sure that wont be a problem!! if shes more interested in the science area like me, she may like the undergrade degree in genetics, such as, neurogentics(like me) or maybe even bio-ethical genetics, this family friend of ours is doing that and she loves it!! but after that i would maybe do medicene or take psyc and relate that into some spectrum of genetics which would be very interesting!! lots of choices!! genetics is sweeeeeeet.. but HARD!! holy fuck!