PDA

View Full Version : UofA residence options?

writhen
07-26-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm going to be going to school at UofA for the 09/10 school year and I was wondering what the best res to move into would be.

My biggest request is to have a large bedroom since I have a large computer/home system setup as well as an electronic drum set.

I'll be working on campus so living in res is a must, otherwise I'd be living off campus.

I've heard I should stay away from Lister as I do own a few valuable items and enjoy my privacy.

I've heard HUB's rooms are somewhat smaller (8'x8'..seems really small?). This is an issue due to the space I need for my belongings.

All this is just from word of mouth and speculation so please feel free to inform me as much as you can.:clap:

dj_rice
07-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Before you do you might wanna read this..

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/226661/u-of-a-rez-bedbugs/

Euro_Trash
07-26-2008, 04:46 PM
If it is your first year and you want to have a killer time and make a lot of friends, go Lister. The low marks are worth it. Lot's of people have nice stuff. If you are responsible enough to lock your door when you leave then there shouldn't be a problem

writhen
07-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
If it is your first year and you want to have a killer time and make a lot of friends, go Lister. The low marks are worth it. Lot's of people have nice stuff. If you are responsible enough to lock your door when you leave then there shouldn't be a problem

I'm a SAIT grad who will be transferring into 2nd/3rd year engineering. I'm also pretty focussed on my education at this point, so the low marks aren't worth it for me. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Bed bugs are another issue thats not huge for me. This is because in order for me to have my on campus job I HAVE to live in the residence.

I'm just looking for recommendations on the nicer/bigger residences to live in.

bashir26
07-26-2008, 07:54 PM
I have a friend that went to UofA and got a room in Lister - Shaffer Hall. He wrote on his application that he is claustrophobic so they gave him a bigger room. Its about twice the size of a normal room.

If that's not big enough for you then move into an apartment thats near the university. You will be paying about $1200 for a single bedroom. These apartments are located less than 3min walk from Lister.

HUB is cool, but can get a bit noisy since there is mini mall in HUB. Its also FOB central.

Spoons
07-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by bashir26
I have a friend that went to UofA and got a room in Lister - Shaffer Hall. He wrote on his application that he is claustrophobic so they gave him a bigger room. Its about twice the size of a normal room.

If that's not big enough for you then move into an apartment thats near the university. You will be paying about $1200 for a single bedroom. These apartments are located less than 3min walk from Lister.

HUB is cool, but can get a bit noisy since there is mini mall in HUB. Its also FOB central.

Yeah I went to go visit my buddy who lived in HUB... good luck fucking sleeping, there is always people walking through at night drunk as hell and yelling. I would know cause I was one of them a few times.

Rocky
07-26-2008, 08:26 PM
HUB is small, the noise complaints might irritate you, and it can be noisy with the foot traffic in the halls. However, Lister is definitely a party house and doesn't really sound up your alley. You want to look into East Campus Village and Newton, definitely. There are also very close by apartments including University Plaza and Garneau Towers.

I live about a 15 min walk from the U of A in a house w/ one other and it's a pretty good place. Very sizeable.

Euro_Trash
07-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by bashir26

Shaffer hall is suprisingly quiet. Plus you get your own bathroom, so it's not too bad. If you request a higher floor, it is very quiet to a point where a lot of people are anti-social. Could be another option for you. For 4 months of my 3rd year engineering I lived on the 11th floor of Shaffer

bashir26
07-27-2008, 01:31 AM

Shaffer hall is suprisingly quiet. Plus you get your own bathroom, so it's not too bad. If you request a higher floor, it is very quiet to a point where a lot of people are anti-social. Could be another option for you. For 4 months of my 3rd year engineering I lived on the 11th floor of Shaffer

11th floor has a Mario theme :rofl: but it has a nice view!

writhen
07-27-2008, 01:46 AM
Cool guys. Thanks for all the tips!

s8chan
07-27-2008, 01:49 AM
I lived in a bachelor room in HUB for the last 2.5 years and it was perfectly fine. Bachelor rooms are below the main level with windows facing outward and noise was never a problem for me (i was usually the cause of most of the noise playing guitar loudly but never got any complaints) . In terms of space, it's not too bad. I think you should be able to fit all your stuff in there. You would have your own bathroom and kitchen. The great thing was that I could make it all the way across campus to the engineering buildings in 7 minutes (5 if I did some power walking).

herragge
07-28-2008, 12:14 AM

Actually they got rid of that method of putting people on floors now! They no longer put the nerds and anti-socials at the higher floors anymore, they are all randomly assigned. So it is hit or miss whether your floor is going to be loud or not. And even if it is, in Schaffer they are a bit more mature cause they aren't 1st years.

DO NOT DO NEWTON PLACE! That is where they found the bed-bugs. Owned.

Lister has been the best experience for everyone who has walked out of there (with beefed up liver's mind you lol). However it is more difficult to get work done there. But if you are determined, I know a handful of guys who got 3.8/3.9's in 1st year in Lister.

I think HUB is your best bet for a bachelor. Good luck finding one for this upcoming year though. My friend has been spamming HUB to try and get a room and they basically told him to fuck off. If your looking this late, you may be in trouble and should consider looking at ECV or small houses close by campus.

Good luck bro

RX_EVOLV
07-28-2008, 04:22 AM
I guess I'll contribute. I stayed at Lister for year 1, Schaffer for year 2, Newton bacherlor for Year 3 and Newton 1bedroom for year 4.

Lister is definitly a party house, which imo is great because you get to meet alot of new people and have a great time. as long as you have self control it shouldnt be a problem. Their rooms are really small so i doubt it will fit anything that you described above.

Schaffer, alot more quiet than Lister, but still pretty busy. All it takes is a few ppl to turn your floor into a gong show. One time a guy was trying to pull a prank by stealing half the light bulbs on the floor ( since after like 9pm or something they shut down half the lights to conserve energy or watever). They then set up all these traps with wires and stuff to prank a few friends. Long story short, the light went off, the police came and tripped over a few traps.. that was a long night.... Also the firealarm goes off like once a week. Also the rooms in Schaffer are alot smaller than the lister ones ( since you get your own washroom). The bigger ones someone mentioned above are corner room that are designed for Handicap ppl or Floor leader.

Newton. Its old, but its really quiet. the room are quite decently sized and you will fit everything you mentioned no problem. I found that alot of ppl who stay in Newton are Master students from oversea ( read: China) or even doctors and nurses ( since its pretty much as close to the hospital as you can get).

Hub mall: if you are looking for Bachlor or 1bedroom then you will be alright since they are below the main( food court level). but if you are sharing then good luck sleeping. it smells like food court, and it sounds like chinook during the day. At night it turns into a mini hongkong-town. if you are looking for Mah Jong buddies Hub is the way to go.

IMO if you are looking for a room now for Sept then most likely you are SOL.

you should look into Windsor Place. It is an apartment complex right beside Newton, alot newer than Newton and very close to school. the downside is you have to sign a contract ( one year or something) and it is more expensive than Rez.

Best of luck