PDA

View Full Version : 62 Austin Healey/ import

Kritafo
07-27-2008, 11:50 AM
1962 Austin Healey.

Just a few questions about importing such a beast. Right now it's sitting in Michigan. they say it's not a replica, and how do I find out other than matching numbers? I know that I am needing to physically go there for sure.

Thanks

adam c
07-27-2008, 11:53 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/107279/jaymez-importing-from-the-states-thread-/

BlueGoblin
07-27-2008, 01:53 PM
it isn't cheap, but you can go through British Motor Heritage (http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/pages/exhibitions/exhibitions_heritage_certificates.html) And get a factory history on the car which would confirm its provenance assuming they gave you the right chassis and engine number. You could also contact a vintage car club or shop there and hire someone to check it out on your behalf.

What model is it? How much are they asking for it?

The asking price is so often a good clue as to what you are getting into. Such a car can be an extraordinary money pit if you aren't careful.

Kritafo
07-27-2008, 02:10 PM
thanks for the tips. I may contact RM Auto Restorations in Chatham, ON since this is my hometown and a friend...I don't know why I didn't think of asking him sooner.

This car would be my fathers gift to me. He had a passion for cars, I always thought I would buy a Morgan with the money. I just don't want a money pit.

BlueGoblin
07-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Very nice. An expert is the only way of avoiding major problems with that sort of car. That being said, All vintage cars are money pits: You just try to pick the shallowest pit you can find.

These cars were built in an age where constant fettling and tinkering was expected and even in the best of condition, will need constant attention. It isn't that they are unreliable per se, it is that they require interaction to keep them going. There are some lost arts that you will have to learn too: carb synchronizing, adjusting points ignition timing.

Vintage ownership is enjoyable for some, but it isn't for the weak of spirit.

I would love to find myself an A-H 100/4 with the fold down racing windhield and great big 4 cylinder.

Best of luck! RM is a phenomenal name worldwide in the classic car industry.

Kritafo
07-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Yes Myers certainly made a name for himself. He restored 3 of my fathers parade cars back in the 80's, they had all been bought at the Henry Ford Auctions. RM does awesome work and had the privilege of seeing up close and personal some very awesome cars.

When I had the 79 Fiat x/19 Myers restored the seats and carpeting it was the only thing that needed to be worked on.

I am a little leary of buying a vintage car without having someone out here that I can trust.

I am excited though! I can't wait to find out if we are buying!