PDA

View Full Version : Helpp syncing my 42" lcd to my computer.

S13_Ryan
07-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Hey guys, ive got an HP computer with the normal video card. im looking to have my LCD tv as a Second monitor so i can veiw it from the lounge chair in my room.

what do i need pick up to get it done?

lamp_shade_2000
07-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Most lcds now have a vga connection, so just get a vga cable and you should be good to go.

Rocky
07-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Exactly. S-Video can sometimes be used but it gives you a shit maximum resolution (600x480 or whatever).

Best case scenario, upgrade your video card to one with an HDMI port for maximum effect.

lamp_shade_2000
07-27-2008, 07:42 PM
even if your video card isnt hdmi, if there's a DVI port, you can get a DVI to HDMI adapter. Same video quality.

S13_Ryan
07-27-2008, 07:53 PM
i still want to keep my computer monitor working at the same time though. so i can either sit at my desk. or lounge in my chair. dont i need like two video cards? or one with two ports on it for 2 monitors?

S13_Ryan
07-27-2008, 07:54 PM
also my tv is a good 15 feet away from my computer. can i find a cord that long?

lamp_shade_2000
07-27-2008, 07:58 PM
You would need 2 video outs on your computer. And 15ft vga cables arnt hard to find. I ended up just buying a cheap video card with dual outputs and went from there. I can use either my monitor or the tv, or extend my desktop accross both.

dj_rice
07-27-2008, 08:00 PM
If ur looking for cables, buy from Monoprice.com, prolli get some shipped to u for under $15

S13_Ryan
07-27-2008, 08:02 PM
kkk thanks guys.

em2ab
07-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Whoa, stop everything. There's a lot of mixed information here.

First of all, if your LCD television is high definition, you're going to want to send it a digital signal for the best picture and VGA cables are only capable of an analog signal. Look on the back of the television for a HDMI or DVI input and look on your video card for a HDMI or DVI output. Whichever you find on each side, you'll need a cable to connect the two and for 15 feet you're going to need good quality copper to avoid signal degradation. Check out a company called Alberta Computer Cable at www.cablesbyacc.com, they'll make you whatever cable you want in their factory here in Calgary and have it shipped out to you wherever you live/work. I bought a component - VGA cable from them 2 years ago and that's a cable that you'll never find just sitting on a shelf somewhere at Radio Shack. It was custom made.

But what you want done, I already have done with my projector and computer monitor, you simply need a video card with dual output, preferably one of them being DVI/HDMI. If you don't have this, you have to go buy it.

Then just plug them up, download the newest drivers, configure and you're set. I'm not trying to say I know more than people who posted previously but just wanted to make sure you got the right information so far. Especially avoiding analog video signals.