PDA

View Full Version : Torrent/Router issue... Help!

dj techsta
07-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Ok so I've got a major issue whenever I try using UTorrent, BT, or any other torrent software. Everytime I start downloading torrents, my internet will remain connected and allow me to download torrents, but that's all I'll be able to do.

That means no surfing, no gaming, just sit there and watch the torrent D/L

I've even used different routers and it's still the same prob.
How do I fix this?

Here's what I use:
O/S: Win Vista
ISP: Shaw
Router: Linksys WRT54GS firmware v1.50.6 (aka Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster)

Oh and i've tried installing a firmware update, but the thing downloads as a bin file I can't seem to open

EuroDubbs
07-28-2008, 08:32 AM
Get xp! =D

dj techsta
07-28-2008, 08:35 AM
^ no, a lot of compatability issues with the programs I run on XP, otherwise I'd still be using it

eblend
07-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Get a good router. Recommend DIR-655 from DLINK. Ur router IP tables are getting filled up and it crashes. Buy a DIR-655 and do whatever the hell you want while downloading whatever the hell you want haha. I had the same issues till i decided to spend money on a router thats not $20 bucks in the clearance bin.

Do it and your problems will go away

hampstor
07-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by EuroDubbs
Get xp! =D

Another bandwagoner... :rofl:

dj techsta, in uTorrent limit the # MAX of connections (both down and up band). Set them to like 150 connections for downband per torrent and ........ 15 for up band. See if that helps.

dj techsta
07-28-2008, 08:45 AM
yeah tried that, even went as far as setting max up/down speed to like 5kbps, still same problem

dj techsta
07-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by eblend
Get a good router. Recommend DIR-655 from DLINK. Ur router IP tables are getting filled up and it crashes. Buy a DIR-655 and do whatever the hell you want while downloading whatever the hell you want haha. I had the same issues till i decided to spend money on a router thats not $20 bucks in the clearance bin.

Do it and your problems will go away
i'll try that one, if not BB/Futureshop has good return policies.
And as an FYI, most routers i've bought weren't of the clearance bin variety, more of the mid to high ranges at the time of purchase.

ppatko
07-28-2008, 09:57 AM
This is a common issue with utorrent.

do a google search on something like "utorrent kills my internet connection" and you'll find info on what you should be setting your up and download rates, in-coming connections ect...

some here will tell you to drop 100 bucks on a new router but it's not the problem. my 15 buck trendnet has been working fine for 2 years.

R!zz0
07-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Isn't is normal that surfing the web slows you down when you're DL something?

hampstor
07-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by dj techsta

i'll try that one, if not BB/Futureshop has good return policies.
And as an FYI, most routers i've bought weren't of the clearance bin variety, more of the mid to high ranges at the time of purchase.

You're sure that you limited the # of connections per torrent (not just speed)? Also, are you running a few torrents, or are you running like 10+ at once?

Originally posted by R!zz0
Isn't is normal that surfing the web slows you down when you're DL something?

maybe if he was on a 2400 baud modem and downloading using Z-Modem :rofl:

eblend
07-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by ppatko
This is a common issue with utorrent.

do a google search on something like "utorrent kills my internet connection" and you'll find info on what you should be setting your up and download rates, in-coming connections ect...

some here will tell you to drop 100 bucks on a new router but it's not the problem. my 15 buck trendnet has been working fine for 2 years.

Why limit utorrent when you don't have to. All cheap to midrange routers have an IP table that gets filled up, once that happens router crashes, so while your torrents are still running, you can't make any connections to do anything else. A good router will not allow this to happen and hence you don't have to mess with any settings and do whatever whenver without having to worry about the router. Had mine for almost 2 years now, never powered it down or reset it at all, rock solid and i have pushed more gbs through that thing then any other routers i had combined

WhippWhapp
07-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Set up port fowarding on your router?

www.portfoward.com

Mibz
07-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Hampstor is right, it's because you're maxing out your connections.

One solution, and the best in my opinion, is to install DD-WRT and configure 2048 connections with short (90 second or so) TCP timeouts. You'll never drop a connection again and you can keep 500 torrent connections going :P I'm not sure about that specific router but you may be able to hit 4096 connections.

Another is to limit connections (Not speed) on your torrent client.

A good router will not allow this to happen and hence you don't have to mess with any settings and do whatever whenver without having to worry about the router.Why spend $100 on a new router when he can legally and easily mod his existing one for free?

EDIT:
Oh and i've tried installing a firmware update, but the thing downloads as a bin file I can't seem to open...Go into your router configuration. There should be a firmware upgrade option somewhere. Probably under Administration. Browse to the .bin file, start the update and don't touch anything until it's done.

whoatemyling
07-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Before you go out and spend money on a router. Make sure your PC isn't the issue.

If you stop torrents and you're internet comes back, chances are it's not the router crashing. If it was the router crashing, stopping torrents would not bring your internet connection back. You would need to powercycle or reboot the router.

Since XP SP2, Microsoft has imposed a concurrent connection limit on Windows XP to prevent DoS attacks from machines.

If you see Even ID 4226 in your windows event logs, the issue isn't so much on the router end as it is inside windows.

By Default, Windows Vista and XP SP2 have a 10 concurrent TCP connection limit.

Torrents will use up all 10 connection in no time.

The patch below will allow you to change the TCPIP.sys file to allow more concurrent TCP connections.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/TCP-IP-Limit-AutoPatch.shtml

cityhunter2501
07-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Hampstor is right, it's because you're maxing out your connections.

One solution, and the best in my opinion, is to install DD-WRT and configure 2048 connections with short (90 second or so) TCP timeouts. You'll never drop a connection again and you can keep 500 torrent connections going :P I'm not sure about that specific router but you may be able to hit 4096 connections.

Another is to limit connections (Not speed) on your torrent client.

Why spend $100 on a new router when he can legally and easily mod his existing one for free?

EDIT: ...Go into your router configuration. There should be a firmware upgrade option somewhere. Probably under Administration. Browse to the .bin file, start the update and don't touch anything until it's done.

QFT

as reference here's how my DD-WRT54GS and utorrent are setup

IP Filter Settings (adjust these for P2P)
Maximum Ports 4096
TCP Timeout (in seconds) 360
UDP Timeout (in seconds) 360

uTorrent
Global max # of connections 200
Max # of connected peers per torrent 50
Max Upload speed 30 kB/s
Max Download speed 0

have uTorrent running 24/7 on my vista x64 and never had a problem, Shaw 10Mbps connection and have like 8-9 computers/laptops.

Mibz
07-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501

QFT

as reference here's how my DD-WRT54GS and utorrent are setup

IP Filter Settings (adjust these for P2P)
Maximum Ports 4096
TCP Timeout (in seconds) 360
UDP Timeout (in seconds) 360

uTorrent
Global max # of connections 200
Max # of connected peers per torrent 50
Max Upload speed 30 kB/s
Max Download speed 0

have uTorrent running 24/7 on my vista x64 and never had a problem, Shaw 10Mbps connection and have like 8-9 computers/laptops. If it can handle 4096 and 360 timeouts then you're laughing.

dj techsta
07-28-2008, 11:51 PM
turns out it was my router slowly crapping out, wireless now went.

Bought a new router, everything works fine

thnx for all the help tho, if I have any furhter router issues, I now know where to look :)