PDA

View Full Version : IT people: I need help figureing out a project

Canadian 2.5RS
07-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Essentially what I want to do is setup a database that is individually password protected (i.e. each user has their own login with their own priviliges (i.e. read/write priviliges)) and accessable remotely. I want it based on a giant Excel workbook that is linked to various other projects (word,Ppt, etc).

So essentially the user would sign in using their unique login, access the Excel workbook, find the project they are looking for and click the link to pull it up, then based on their permissions, they could read/write/edit the document.

My question is what program should I use for this? I have access to Sharepoint but I am not too familiar with it.

Any suggestions as to how I could get this working?

lint
07-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Sharepoint would be one possible solution. It will allow you to create users and roles, and assign specific permissions to folders which can contain projects and documents. This way, a single login will determine the access rights a user has to various folders and documents. If you already have Sharepoint, go with it. You will need to replace your excel file within Sharepoint. Trying to do it through excel would be problematic since excel isn't designed for that purpose, and excel can't control the security of external files.