PDA

View Full Version : first car soon! advice!

fyse0
09-03-2003, 09:14 PM
hey guys im gettin first car soon and i cant choose.. dont know alot about cars either.. maybe you guys do

I asked parents about a camaro but they said it was too fast and wont let me.
Asked about a non-gt mustang and they said possibly.
They said no to a firebird, and no to a subaru wrx.

What's more low-end sort of sport cars like what I said above that maybe I should look at. Price area is 15k and lower. (used)

Feel free to give any advice and cars that are cool in your opinion and sorts that i'd like given what i've mentioned.. and any reccomendations around that price range you might have. Cars not suvs or trucks.. dont want one of those

max_boost
09-03-2003, 09:16 PM
Why don't you do a search newbie

fyse0
09-03-2003, 09:21 PM
cause i dont feel like it, its my first time here, how am i suposed to see if anyone has the same specific question as me.. i doubt you read the post..

also wasnt expecting assholes, oh great veteran of the car message boards :rolleyes:

Ekliptix
09-03-2003, 09:26 PM
I suggest an acura integra, ir honda civic Si if you want something very reliable and fun.

Also, I predict a lock of this thread eventually.

civiclvr
09-03-2003, 09:27 PM
ooooooooh that was the WRONG thing to say!

fyse0
09-03-2003, 09:31 PM
im not exactly worried about a lock or a ban.. i came here to get opinions on a question.. if i dont get the question answered i dont care there'll be someone to answer it elsewhere..

i dont really want a car to soup up.. just as is sort of car, descently fast.. looks good.. etc. im not racing anyone hehe

LudeRoca
09-03-2003, 09:49 PM
you could probably find an older mustang if you want something thats easy to fix. and doesn't cost much. Gas will be a pain in the ass tho. Or you could get an import thats a lil slower. You said speed doesn't really matter so. Plus you could just put rims and kit and it would look nice.

davidI
09-03-2003, 10:04 PM
5th or 6th gen celica, look sweet but not that fast.
You can find some nice Integras for under 15.
If you want fast in the future or you like to work on cars I'd get a Mustang 5.0 and drop some cash into supercharging or turboing the biznatch.
Just go to canadatrader.com and search around. There are tons of people selling their cars on this board too!

davidI
09-03-2003, 10:06 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22558

Hash_man
09-03-2003, 11:03 PM
If you dont plan to mod the car, and want something sort of fun... then personally if I had the money I would go with a Subaru SVX.

I beleive they were made from 92-97, and I think they are a pretty cool car. One downside, is that they were only sold with an automatic tranny, but a 5spd can be swapped in.

illeagle
09-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Spend $6,000 on a 1st gen. Eagle talon TSI AWD. Sure the car is high maintinence, but you'll spank anything and everything, almost. (if you set it up right) DSM!

Superesc
09-03-2003, 11:43 PM
Toyota Corolla. Perfect for drivers like yourself!! :thumbsup:

finboy
09-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Superesc
Toyota Corolla. Perfect for drivers like yourself!! :thumbsup:

na, he sounds like the perfect candidate for a j-body

i'm not racing anyone hehe

see.

you should go and buy yourself a cavalier :thumbsup:

Boostn
09-03-2003, 11:59 PM
Honda Civic, Acura EL, Nissan Sentra, Toyota Corolla, Mazda Protege, Ford Focus etc. Even though you're tempted, stick with 4 dr models and stay away from the high performance variants, you'll save on insurance. Learn, practice, perfect your driving skills with one of the above cars before moving onto something with serious power. Patience is the key, you're still young and have lots of time ahead of you.

lammer
09-04-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by finboy

na, he sounds like the perfect candidate for a j-body

see.

you should go and buy yourself a cavalier :thumbsup:

haha

illeagle
09-04-2003, 12:03 AM
I'm not trying to piss you off ekliptix, but How is you mustang JDM?:angel: :dunno:

James
09-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Boostn
Honda Civic, Acura EL, Nissan Sentra, Toyota Corolla, Mazda Protege, Ford Focus etc. Even though you're tempted, stick with 4 dr models and stay away from the high performance variants, you'll save on insurance. Learn, practice, perfect your driving skills with one of the above cars before moving onto something with serious power. Patience is the key, you're still young and have lots of time ahead of you.

VERY good advice! :thumbsup:.couldnt have said it better myself.

Superesc
09-04-2003, 12:46 AM
hmmm I have to agree Cavailer is also not a bad choice, but Corolla will retain its value better. Also more reliable! hehe

Ekliptix
09-04-2003, 07:22 AM
I have a mugen rad cap.

syeve
09-04-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by illeagle
I'm not trying to piss you off ekliptix, but How is you mustang JDM?:angel: :dunno:

Originally posted by Ekliptix
I have a mugen rad cap.

hahahahhahahha

:rofl: :rofl:

ZorroAMG
09-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Get a Civic, they are cheap, reliable and not fast enough to lose your license your first month....

fyse0
09-04-2003, 04:27 PM
i have 8000 dollars and my parents are buying a car cause im a junior with gpa of 4.4 so i have freedom, headstart on insurance for a couple years and plenty to do what i want with the car.

i guess better way to say it, dont worry about speed as long as it's descent.. looks cool & fun to drive, im a good driver despite the fact everyone my age says that.

What are downsides to mustangs, besides the fact theyre fast and you dont want another insane teenager on the road.. (6cyl non gt)

ZorroAMG
09-04-2003, 05:20 PM
They handle like S#!T and are probably quite high for insurance premiums.

3G
09-04-2003, 05:38 PM
For your first car, I wouldn't get anything high performance, you'd be better off buying a beater and learning to drive good before you go off and buy something like a Camaro or WRX, because you're bound to hit some curbs and other things in your first little while, so take your time, get something slow and cheap on insurance then move up the pyramid..

happy car hunting

benyl
09-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by fyse0
how am i suposed to see if anyone has the same specific question as me..

Do a search... there are probably 100 threads on this topic... no joke.

If you did a little research, like reading a couple of threads, you would have noticed that most of us are from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. You would also notice that we are more than happy to answer everybody's questions. There is no need to be rude.

I sincerly hope that you don't have the same attitude in real life... if you do... you will no doubt, go very very far... There is only one a$$hole in this thread.

For those that didn't notice he is from the states... $15,000 goes a little further than what you guys might be suggesting. And that probably explains his great attitude as well.

my 2 cents before the lock...

Eric Happy Meal
09-04-2003, 06:28 PM
try for a base model imprezza, not nrealy as fast as a wrx....but still just as fun. get the GC8 body style for it, better in my opinnion.

88CRX
09-04-2003, 06:36 PM
get a crx? good quality... quick... fast in the twisties... not really cheap but they seem to gain value over time :dunno:

Eric Happy Meal
09-04-2003, 06:38 PM
crx=2K, if thats not cheap im not so sure what is....

alloroc
09-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Echo Hatchback.

You'll be allowed to buy it. They are economical deceptivley quick nimble and good on gas.

And there is more room in the backseat than in the mustang.

fyse0
09-04-2003, 08:31 PM
well, if you read more than just the first post you'd have known i came on very nice. A first timer to a message board asks a question and gets told off by a "veteran."

I'm sure in Canada they have the saying treat others as you like to be treated.. if you read any other posts than the first one you'd have seen i was curteous to all of the other people who i responded to.

Toms-Celica
09-04-2003, 09:21 PM
They will also be able to give you a hand in helping you with research.