PDA

View Full Version : Paint Vs. Powder Coating

CHEVMC
07-28-2008, 07:02 PM
YAH, I'M NEW :-)~.....PLEASE HELP! I WANT TO GET MY SILVER WHEELS POWDER COATED COAL BLACK- BUT THE BRO UP THE STREET SAYS HE CAN PAINT THEM FOR 1/2 PRI$E. HE CLAIMS POWDER COAT DOESN'T LAST ;"SCRATCHES WITH A FLICK OF YOUR FINGER NAIL." WE'LL SEE......

badatusrnames
07-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by CHEVMC
YAH, I'M NEW :-)~.....PLEASE HELP! I WANT TO GET MY SILVER WHEELS POWDER COATED COAL BLACK- BUT THE BRO UP THE STREET SAYS HE CAN PAINT THEM FOR 1/2 PRI$E. HE CLAIMS POWDER COAT DOESN'T LAST ;"SCRATCHES WITH A FLICK OF YOUR FINGER NAIL." WE'LL SEE......

Is your caps lock stuck?

Ymerej47
07-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Powder coating alloy rims does make them a bit weaker because the extreme heat they are exposed while in the oven. Powder coating will last alot longer than regular paint (I assume he wants to spray paint them). Powder coat is very durable and is pretty tough to scratch and your rims will last through any weather..

Supa Dexta
07-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Powder coating is A LOT more durable then regular paint.. And I don't think the rims would weaken any from the heat of the oven.. wasn't it only maybe 300 or 500*f or something? It's been a while since I've read up on it.

Ymerej47
07-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Cure cycles are usually baked at around 200 celsius or about 400F...damage can occur based on different variables such as; Type of metal, infrared or convection oven, sandblasting, cleaning because certain metals like aluminum can only be cleaned with a multi-metal solution and "Burning" to clean off all the old existing oil or paint, Ive actually seen gobs of grease/paint ignite on the steel creating hot spots that show fatigue! Basically if you don't feel safe with the coater you've chosen find another one because it has to be done right.

CHEVMC
07-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Yah, I will most def go with powder coating. A few others gave me good feed back. Its just more durable.

sputnik
07-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Powder coating rims isn't always the best idea. Powder coating isn't very flexible but your rims are. After a while hairline cracks will show up in the powder coating.

I would recommend getting your rims painted with an epoxy based paint instead.

InLoveWitRSX
07-29-2008, 08:14 AM
powder coating is best... but kinda costly