PDA

View Full Version : Camera Field Bag?

eb0i
07-29-2008, 02:27 AM
So I am going on a field class for 10 days next week in Kanaskis and I want to bring my camera with me (Canon XTi, 28-70mm lens and 70-200mm lens). We will be going on day hikes everyday and so I have a hiking day pack for all my hiking needs. I am currently using a Crumpler 7 million dollar home shoulder bag right now but can't see myself lugging that with my hiking day pack around. Any recommendations on how I can carry my camera around comfortably? Thanks:thumbsup:

Melinda
07-29-2008, 07:18 AM
What kind of hiking pack do you have? Backback?

There are two options for you. You can get a backpack for your camera gear (if your regular stuff isn't already in a back pack) or you can invest in a waist belt set up. With a body and two lenses, that shouldn't be too hard to manage for the avg hiker.

Kennyredline
07-29-2008, 07:58 AM
I bought a Lowepro camera backpack years ago. It has a bottom compartment for a body and 4 lenses,(or a flash, other accessories...) and the top part is small, but I can fit some extra clothes and some food in there. It's pretty comfortable, and I think it was about $100 at Saneal.

Mitsu3000gt
07-29-2008, 08:49 AM
How much non-camera stuff do you need to carry with you? There are lots of backpacks available that are half camera backpack half regular backpack.

eb0i
07-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
What kind of hiking pack do you have? Backback?

There are two options for you. You can get a backpack for your camera gear (if your regular stuff isn't already in a back pack) or you can invest in a waist belt set up. With a body and two lenses, that shouldn't be too hard to manage for the avg hiker.

I bought a daypack back pack from Mec the other day, this one (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442619840&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699687&bmUID=1217349727360).

I think a waist belt sounds like a good idea though. I'll check it out.

Originally posted by Kennyredline
I bought a Lowepro camera backpack years ago. It has a bottom compartment for a body and 4 lenses,(or a flash, other accessories...) and the top part is small, but I can fit some extra clothes and some food in there. It's pretty comfortable, and I think it was about $100 at Saneal.

I'll check it out, thanks.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
How much non-camera stuff do you need to carry with you? There are lots of backpacks available that are half camera backpack half regular backpack.

My non-camera stuff to carry:

rain gear (jacket/pants)
food
mini shovel
jars/net
hydration pack
and other little misc items (sunscreen/bugspray/etc.)

eb0i
07-29-2008, 03:37 PM
I went out and bought a slightly bigger daypack, a Gregory Z30 and I was thinking that I could maybe get away with putting my camera at the top of the bag on top of my clothing and such. Thoughts?

Lagerstatten.ca
07-29-2008, 03:44 PM
I've always done fine with having my camera (1 body, 2 lenses, some batteries/memory cards) in my backpack when I was in geology field school.

I have the Blurr backpack though, it's sort of a semi-hardshell so I wasn't too worried about bumping it into rocks/trees during my hikes.

Mitsu3000gt
07-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by eb0i
I went out and bought a slightly bigger daypack, a Gregory Z30 and I was thinking that I could maybe get away with putting my camera at the top of the bag on top of my clothing and such. Thoughts?

If you have that much extra stuff to carry, I would also suggest just buying a large daypack and then putting your camera in a small pelican case and keeping that in your backpack also.

If you want to try fit it all in one bag, I believe the Lowepro Rover Plus AW is the biggest camera bag/backpack combo Lowepro makes and has lots of externals straps and such. Also, some of the larger Lowepro bags come with a large pack that straps onto the outside of the camera bag for personal gear but unless you had a lot more camera gear to carry that likey isn't a great choice.

Zorac
07-29-2008, 05:06 PM
i drop my lenses in wool socks, and then wrap my body in an extra shirt, and drop the whole thing into my day pack. sometimes it sits funny against your back and you have to adjust, but its not that much of an issue.

i have been looking at the lowepro top loader (75aw) as it has a front harness for it, i dunno how comfortable it would be, and i havent talked to anyone who has actually used it

Melinda
07-29-2008, 05:24 PM
I use a crumpler backpack, it has a storage area in the top but it probably wouldn't be big enough to hold everything you want it to. I absolutely love it for the trails and hiking though, and it's amazingly comfortable too!

Canaduh
08-10-2008, 11:08 AM
I bought a backpack from blacks. It's really well padded for your back and shoulders and is good enough to hold a dslr and a few lenses. The compartments inside are all adjustable and what not too... here's a link.

http://blackphotostore.com/english/proddetail.asp?sku=5413

soupey
08-10-2008, 02:28 PM
ive been doing fine with an old IBM shoulder bag thats padded on all ends, no real compartment for lenses or anything, but it fits 1 300mm Tele and 1 50mm fixed, as well as my XSi with kit lens, and an external flash. everything stays in position since it isn't a huge bag, so i havent run into any issues at all with it...used to have the canon dslr backpack, stay away from it though, the zipper opens too easily and everything can spill out since it is not secured very well inside the bag

eb0i
08-16-2008, 02:04 PM
I just got back from the field school. I opted for a DSLR holster that thinktank makes http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_DgtlHlstr.php

Guy at The Camera Store hooked me up with it. It worked out really well. It was easy to access and could fit my camera with 70-200mm lens on it, cuz it expanded. I actually like it a lot. I bought a lens holder to keep it in my daypack, and that worked out well too.