PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass repair help

SJracer
07-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Hey everyone. A friend and I are going to try a repair on a his front bumper lip that he broke. The piece broke in 2 and we are going to attempt to fix it. I've been doing some reading on fibreglassing and it doesn't seem too hard. I have one question though. Will it be easy to sand down to a very smooth surface? We'll fibreglass the back which isn't seen, but if we do the front also, can it be sanded smooth?

Obviously it'll be strong if both sides are done, but it's a small lip with little weight so we are concerned more with looks when it's done.

Any thoughts?

SprayGUN
07-29-2008, 04:03 PM
All of your repairs should be done from the back. My advice is cut a cm off of each side of the lip, brace it with steel perforated strips and fibreglass it. The resin will seep through the "crack" you just widened and you can sand. You never want to put the resin or matting on the outside because it will leave a bulge and wont be level with the rest. If need be after you sand the resin throw some skim layers of body fill over and feather it into the lip. After that feather edge the filler and primer / sealer it paint it!

SJracer
08-05-2008, 09:50 AM
I used your advice and it turned out great. Can't notice that it was ever broken. Thanks.

SprayGUN
08-09-2008, 10:31 PM
good to hear man!!! Fun stuff isnt it?