PDA

View Full Version : Making Good Coffee

Mitsu3000gt
07-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Kind of an odd question but does anyone know what is better for making coffee....those permanent super-fine gold screen filter cups or a paper coffee filter?

Secondly, the little basket that the coffee goes in, is it better to have one that is a cone or more like a cylinder?

My coffee machine has a coffee basket that looks more like a small cylinder, with a flat bottom and super-fine gold screen on the sides. Other coffee machines use a cone, which to me, makes more sense because the water must travel through more coffee before it can hit the pot.

Right now I grind my own coffee but I often get some coffee grounds in the bottom of my coffee cup after I pour it so maybe I'm grinding it too finely?

Anyways, I am full-on addicted to coffee and am curious as to if I could be making a better cup or not.

TIA

suen17
07-29-2008, 06:20 PM
French press, freshly ground beans, 90 C degree filtered water, 2 minutes-ish.

Trash the drip coffee machine.

dj_rice
07-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by suen17

Exactly what I was going to say.....just bought one of those Braun coffee grinders and :thumbsup:

C4S
07-29-2008, 08:39 PM
www.nespresso.com !!

go check it out! if you want to make very best coffee and home .. ALL THE TIME!

I have tried many many coffee machine at home, even Miele, Seaco etc .. which they make great coffee, ( with good bean ) however, take more time .. and not "stable" quality ..

nespresso is awesome! and not expensive ! :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
07-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Any specific recommendations on a good "french press" machine? They seem to be fairly inexpensive so I wouldn't mind getting a really good one. A lot of the ones I Googled seem to be manual, which makes me wonder how you get 90 degree water....maybe you boil some in a kettle, unplug it, and wait until it just stops boiling?

I have an old German made hand powered burr grinder that I use and I think it does a pretty good job and I can make it grind very finely. I am using 100% Kona Peaberry coffee and I can't get enough of it haha. I keep the beans in a big ziplock bag on the counter, I assume that is OK and I don't have to keep them in the freezer but I don't really know.

Anyways thanks so far, I didn't even know this "french press" existed.

Mitsu3000gt
07-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by C4S
www.nespresso.com !!

go check it out! if you want to make very best coffee and home .. ALL THE TIME!

I have tried many many coffee machine at home, even Miele, Seaco etc .. which they make great coffee, ( with good bean ) however, take more time .. and not "stable" quality ..

nespresso is awesome! and not expensive ! :thumbsup:

Which one do you have? I looked and they all look like just expresso machines and not actual coffee machines. I'm not so much into expresso, I just like huge cups of coffee haha. I also want something I can use my own beans in and not little pre-made cups.

Any idea how these would compare to the French Press? I like that these appear to be automatic.

suen17
07-29-2008, 09:17 PM
If you want to try the French Press, I suggest you head down to the farmer's market at the barracks and pick up a bag or two of beans. Those are very freshly roasted and come in a large variety of blends.

Just let the boiling water sit for a few minutes. Exact temperatures are not critical - make sure it's not boiling when you pour it into the press.

French presses usually only give you a cup or two and they don't keep them hot for long. If you're the type to drink a whole pot to yourself I'd stay away from the press as you're going to be getting up every so often to make yourself another cup. It's worth it in the mornings though as it takes just as much time as waiting for a drip machine to brew a pot.

I find straight espresso is more of an acquired taste. If you don't like it too much, but want to buy an espresso machine, just make it into an americano :)

C4S
07-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Which one do you have? I looked and they all look like just expresso machines and not actual coffee machines. I'm not so much into expresso, I just like huge cups of coffee haha. I also want something I can use my own beans in and not little pre-made cups.

Any idea how these would compare to the French Press? I like that these appear to be automatic.

They have so many diff models .. but basically the same .. outcome ..

You can buy their "regular" coffee capsule .. I hv suggested the nespresso machine to many friends .. :) ( my mom suggested to me, she is more crazy into coffee )

I hv tried those dipping coffee .. viet style coffee .. those whatever pressing style .. " boil and dip " style .. they are not bad .. but I am so happy with Nespresso .. ~ $300 .. bargain! ( made in SWISS! ) :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
07-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys - I think I will try out the French Press. I'm the only coffee drinker in the house so the fact that it makes 1-2 cups is perfect. I try not to drink more than that in one day.

As for the nespresso thing, if I didn't have so many of my own beans I would probably be all over that. I am going to suggest it for my office at work - the machines we have now that use capsuels makes terrible coffee, and you need 2 to fill a cup.

Unknown303
07-30-2008, 09:59 AM
+1 for French press.

They are relatively quick to setup and I like them in the morning when I only need a couple cups off coffee before I head out the door.

Buy fresh beans. Which means avoiding Starbucks beans. You'll have a better chance of getting good beans from a more local roaster. I'm liking the Kicking Horse coffee. Roasted in Invermere and its available all over the place. Theres even some more local roasters around that make for some really good cups of coffee.

nonlinear
07-30-2008, 10:25 AM
i used drip-style coffee makers for years, but got turned on to the french press when i moved in with my current gf.

i like it because it makes smaller volumes, is easier to clean and use, and is very simple and can't really break.

just get a hot water kettle to boil your water, it takes like a minute to boil, then pour it into your press and it's ready in a few minutes.

i'm not too sure how critical the 90 C is, i usually pour it in when the kettle starts boiling :dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
07-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
+1 for French press.

They are relatively quick to setup and I like them in the morning when I only need a couple cups off coffee before I head out the door.

Buy fresh beans. Which means avoiding Starbucks beans. You'll have a better chance of getting good beans from a more local roaster. I'm liking the Kicking Horse coffee. Roasted in Invermere and its available all over the place. Theres even some more local roasters around that make for some really good cups of coffee.

Yeah I have a bunch of fresh 100% Kona Peaberry beans and I love the stuff. I found a website which I can order the same stuff I bought when I was there as well. I like kicking horse coffee too, but IMO it doesn't compare to the Kona stuff :drool:

Kritafo
07-30-2008, 12:30 PM
I am also the only coffee drinker in the house and my mother got me hooked on the press years ago. I like that you can make a small quantity.

Don't store you beans in the freezer. Beans are porous and can take on the other smells in the freezer. Plus it's the oil from the bean that really gives the flavour. If you freeze they don't have a chance to release the full flavour.

Keep your beans in an airtight container, in the dark and moisture.

mmm coffee. I have the Frieling model, amongst the regular bodum presses in various shapes and sizes.

I still keep a coffee pot for company and also use the tassimo but the press is the best.

ShiDave
07-30-2008, 12:38 PM
I just got a Technivorm Moccamaster KBT741. Get good beans, and a good grinder. Fucking phenomenal coffee!!

Strider
07-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Any specific recommendations on a good "french press" machine? They seem to be fairly inexpensive so I wouldn't mind getting a really good one. A lot of the ones I Googled seem to be manual, which makes me wonder how you get 90 degree water....maybe you boil some in a kettle, unplug it, and wait until it just stops boiling?

I have an old German made hand powered burr grinder that I use and I think it does a pretty good job and I can make it grind very finely. I am using 100% Kona Peaberry coffee and I can't get enough of it haha. I keep the beans in a big ziplock bag on the counter, I assume that is OK and I don't have to keep them in the freezer but I don't really know.

Anyways thanks so far, I didn't even know this "french press" existed.

There's really no difference between a $10 one and a $100 press... so may as well buy a cheap one...
If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, invest in a quality grinder (like a Rancilio Rocky, Gaggia MDF, or Baratzza Virtuoso). It's been said that "you can make better coffee with a good grinder and a sock than with a shitty grinder and a $2000 espresso machine".
When using a press, you don't need to grind finely, but consistent grind size is the key... and that's what a proper grinder will give you.

Keep in mind that coffee does have a finite shelf life after it's roasted... As whole beans, it's generally good for about 2 - 3 weeks.... once ground, it's toast in about an hour.

For other local sources of freshly roasted beans, try Kawa or Bumpy's for 49th parallel, Artigiano for a proprietary 49th parallel blend, and Phil & Sebastian at the Calgary Farmer's Market.

Toms-SC
07-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Any place in Calgary to get Bodum French Presses?

Strider
07-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

I'm sure there's a lot of other places to get them where there's better selection, but I've seen them at almost every Second Cup I've been to.

Kritafo
07-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Ikea has them as well, I believe they even have them at Safeway

Mitsu3000gt
07-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

I was doing some research and also found that to be the best press, apparently. The 4 cup one (0.6 liter, 2 US cups) is $20 on amazon.com but for some reason they can't ship a press to Canada (I thought they were only stingy about electronics but I guess not). Home Outfitters' website has them, but only the 8 and 12 cup variants. greenbeanery.ca has them, but the 4 cup one is $40 and thats a bit steep (no pun intended).

I'm pretty sure I have a nice burr grinder at home, I believe it is made by Zassenhaus.

I would also be interested in places you can buy the Bodum Chambord press (4 cup).

Mitsu3000gt
07-31-2008, 02:09 PM
I went to the Home Outfitters today on Richmond/Sarcee and they have the exact Bodum Chambord press in 3, 8, and 12 cup sizes (no 4 cup unfortunately). I picked up the 3 cup one for $24.99 (if you go to that exact location, they come up as $34.99 so get them to change it). If you don't want the Chambord style, they have others available too including ones more suited for camping. I will be trying it out tonight :D :D

Thanks again for the advice in this thread.

Toms-SC
08-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Fantastic. As soon as I'm back in Calgary I'll pick one up.

Mitsu3000gt
08-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Ok so I've been using the press for a while now and I must say it is A LOT better than a regular coffee machine. The coffee is nice and strong and tastes significantly better.

I do need a better grinder though - I thought I had a Zassenhus because the one I had looked exactly the same and was made in Germany but I don't. For fine grinding, the grinder works exceptionally, but as soon as you start to make it grind more coarsely, the consistency isn't as good and I start getting some fairly large grounds and some super fine grounds (which gives me a bit of sludge). It's definitely acceptable, but I will be buying a better grinder when I can find one. Everywhere I've looked, the Zassenhaus ones are sold out, and i've also read that for coarser grinds, the Zassenhaus can also be inconsistent due to the nature of their design.

Anyone know of a good burr grinder that isn't super expensive that is consistent? Maybe the electric ones are more consistent? I don't mind spending $100 or whatever but I've seen some for $400+ that are definitely too much.

Boosted_TL
08-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Add 2oz Bailey's!!! Makes even Tim's piss poor "bottom of the pot" taste great! : )

:rofl:

Strider
08-05-2008, 10:43 PM
This is probably one of the best grinders you'll find for ~$100. You probably don't need to spend $400 unless you see yourself getting into espresso later on.

Link:
http://www.espressotec.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=88&idproduct=354

review:
http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/detailed/solismaestro

Mitsu3000gt
08-06-2008, 09:00 AM
^^^^ Thanks, I read the full review and it looks quite good for the price. I think I'll try one out.

momofan
11-04-2008, 06:30 PM
there is a school selling kicking horse for a fundraiser. If anyone would like the details just PM me.

It's not even my children, I just like the coffee. It's regular $18.00/bag and they are selling for $14.00 2 dark roast blends 2 medium roast blends.

core_upt
11-05-2008, 01:10 PM
if you need larger amounts fo coffee - i.e 8-12 cups, a stove top percolator is the way to go.

Drip coffee is shit.

TimG
11-05-2008, 02:55 PM
you can buy kicking horse coffee for ~$14 regular price

Zero102
11-13-2008, 11:06 AM

You have saved my coffee good sir. Well, actually, this thread has saved my coffee.

I have been thinking of getting a french press for a little while now, and when my wife looked inside my coffee machine yesterday she told me to either disassemble and clean it or get rid of it before I kill myself, so I used the excuse to get rid of it and get a french press. I just have a $20 superstore special one, and now I understand why people drink their coffee black. Gone are the days of pouring spoon after spoon of sugar into a cup of black goo, and here are the days of enjoying coffee instead of simply using it as a caffeine source. Never going back, never. :love:

lelalong
11-13-2008, 11:24 AM
http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm

Has anyone tried this thing?

Mitsu3000gt
11-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by lelalong

Seems like it would work more similarily to a drip coffee machine, because isn't the point of a french press to let the coffee and the water sit together for 2-3 min to gather all the flavor? This seems like a step back towards a drip machine.

Strider
11-13-2008, 12:39 PM

There has actually been a lot of positive reviews about the aeropress on www.coffeegeek.com, a site where people are really intense about their coffee. I would definitely try one if i didn't have an espresso machine at home

suen17
11-13-2008, 02:46 PM

Hmm.. It seems like a nice marketing gimmick to me. 30sec is not long enough to extract the oils and flavour from the coffee. For brewing time to be that low, you'd need a super fine grind, which will lead to a lot of sediment in your cup or a clogged filter.

eur0
11-13-2008, 07:59 PM
I agree about the 'French' press, its also called a coffee press. The quality between that and a drip is night and day in the taste and well worth the $.

dragonone
11-14-2008, 02:17 AM
can someone recommend me a total solution for 100-200?
sorry if that sounds cheap but right now it's just a cheap 40 dollar drip maker, and i end up spending more at coffee shops anyways so i thought i could upgrade a bit

QuasarCav
11-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by dragonone
can someone recommend me a total solution for 100-200?
sorry if that sounds cheap but right now it's just a cheap 40 dollar drip maker, and i end up spending more at coffee shops anyways so i thought i could upgrade a bit

Bodum press = $40.00
Coffee grinder = $20.00

We have been running this for over a year. The grinder is a POS and needs to be replaced but it's much better than drip coffee.

6 scoops for 6 cups with a 4 minute brew.

JordanLotoski
11-14-2008, 10:38 AM
this is what i bought to make good coffee...and let em tell you..its like having a Starbucks in my kithen...worth every penny

http://www.ajmadison.com/ajmadison/images/large/LCD_Display_TCM6-03.jpg

5hift
11-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

Bodum press = $40.00
Coffee grinder = $20.00

We have been running this for over a year. The grinder is a POS and needs to be replaced but it's much better than drip coffee.

6 scoops for 6 cups with a 4 minute brew.

Where would be the best place to get a setup like this.
I like dragonone dont want to spend more than ~100 for a setup.

Also so I'm guessing you buy beans whole now? I'm guessing starbucks/grocery store would be the worst place to go for something like that?

lelalong
11-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by 5hift

Also so I'm guessing you buy beans whole now? I'm guessing starbucks/grocery store would be the worst place to go for something like that?

If you have a Costco membership you can buy Starbucks beans for cheap (1kg bag for $15)...but if you're looking for something special go to a smaller coffee supplier.

GQBalla
11-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
this is what i bought to make good coffee...and let em tell you..its like having a Starbucks in my kithen...worth every penny

is that the one built into your house?

how much was it?

Strider
11-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

Originally posted by Strider

For other local sources of freshly roasted beans, try Kawa or Bumpy's for 49th parallel, Artigiano for a proprietary 49th parallel blend, and Phil & Sebastian at the Calgary Farmer's Market.

Bumpy's now also carries JJ Bean... AMAZING coffee

TimG
12-03-2008, 08:37 AM
So my crappy cuisinart blade grinder died on me this morning (thankfully it was after i did most of the grinding for my morning coffee).

I checked out the link on the previous page to http://www.espressotec.com and the Baratza Solis Maestro grinder.

Looks nice. How does this compare to the starbucks grinder or, say, a delonghi? I'd prefer getting it locally, but if i have to mail order i will.

Edit: Does Williams-Sonoma at Chinook have a good selection or are they all overpriced?

Davetronz
12-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Seeing the reference to the "Stovetop Perculator" brings back some awesome memories for me. My Ukrainian grandmother has used one since her and my grandfather arrived in Canada in the early 50's. Growing up, this was the ONLY way I knew coffee. To this day, going over to her place, smelling the coffee brew and having a cup regardless if I need one or not beats any store bought or other home brewed coffee I've EVER tasted.

suen17
01-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Have to bump this old thread for the Aeropress (http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm). Was recently featured in the Globe & Mail, and it makes PHENOMENAL coffee.

http://aerobie.com/images/aero_press_03.jpg

Makes a press quality coffee, an espresso extraction, no grit in the coffee, a 10 second cleanup, in a 3 minute brew time start to finish. Incredibly simple brewing method. Portable too! Take some fresh ground beans to work, boil the water and you're set for a middle of the day coffee. No more crappy coffee runs.

EDIT: Aeropress in action!

oqOrBF_23-0

aaronck
01-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Aeropress looks like a cool unit, and good alternative to the brownish water they call coffee where I work. Did you pick it up locally or online?

Abeo
01-25-2012, 02:31 PM
I have a single-sized french press for work. Makes great coffee, and is pretty quick to make a coffee from start to clean up. Was like $7

bspot
01-25-2012, 02:38 PM
I've been using a Baratzza Virtuoso with a Bodum Chambord 4 cup press for my weekend coffees and a Senseo with an Ecopad for quick morning coffees.

The senseo makes smaller, stronger coffees, and the Ecopad is a reusable pod that lets you use your own fresh ground coffee.

I've been having fresh ground Kona short coffees every morning since I got back from Maui and I'm going to be so sad when it's gone.

http://www.coffee-maker-review.net/images/HD7810.jpg

suen17
01-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by aaronck
Aeropress looks like a cool unit, and good alternative to the brownish water they call coffee where I work. Did you pick it up locally or online?

I live in Toronto, I purchased mine locally. The price was pretty consistent with the cost + shipping from Amazon or ebay.

Tik-Tok
01-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Looks gimmicky, and does nothing to enhance the coffee flavour a regular press doesn't do. :dunno:

sputnik
01-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

About 200,000 pennies...

aaronck
01-26-2012, 01:58 PM

I live in Toronto, I purchased mine locally. The price was pretty consistent with the cost + shipping from Amazon or ebay.

I impulse bought it from Amazon for $41 shipped. I hope it lives up to the reviews!

suen17
01-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by aaronck

I impulse bought it from Amazon for $41 shipped. I hope it lives up to the reviews!

:thumbsup:

When you get it disregard the instructions that come with it.

Do the upsidedown method (youtube it) and let it steep 2min until you do the press. Good things come to those who wait.

dragonone
01-26-2012, 08:49 PM
after 2 years of learning the basics, i must say it all comes down to the grinder. 40 adjustments vs. 400 adjustment levels can make a world of difference on the shots you pull. i'm still using a hario skerton hand grinder until i save enough for a better one.

msommers
01-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Still tweaking my coffee making but it's getting better.

1) Beans in Maestro grinder top
2) Boil water
3) When water boils, open kettle lid and grind beans
4) Beans into french press, pour water evenly onto grinds
5) Wait a minute, stir with wooden spoon, wait another minute
6) Press and pour

I think I have to add less beans because it's coming out a bit stronger than I'd like. Or it's the beans, I haven't figured it out yet. Using Kicking Horse Three Sisters.

What beans do you guys use? Any local brands you're aware of?

RY213
01-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Still tweaking my coffee making but it's getting better.

1) Beans in Maestro grinder top
2) Boil water
3) When water boils, open kettle lid and grind beans
4) Beans into french press, pour water evenly onto grinds
5) Wait a minute, stir with wooden spoon, wait another minute
6) Press and pour

I think I have to add less beans because it's coming out a bit stronger than I'd like. Or it's the beans, I haven't figured it out yet. Using Kicking Horse Three Sisters.

What beans do you guys use? Any local brands you're aware of?

I use the exact same method but I have a Baratza Virtuoso grinder. For beans I use Phil and Sebastien or Intelligentsia. I get my Intelligentsia beans from Kawa...

yellowsnow
01-29-2012, 10:43 PM
I've been using the french press for years, the only downsize is the amount of sediment in my coffee.

i tried using the siphon brewing method, and it is definately a richer and cleaner cup of coffee. no sediment either... it takes longer, but i like it much better.

dibbz
02-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Since we are on the topic of coffee..I am looking into making espresso at home. I have been looking at semi-auto espresso machines to start learning. Anyone have any suggestions on a good starter machine?

bspot
02-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
I've been using the french press for years, the only downsize is the amount of sediment in my coffee.

i tried using the siphon brewing method, and it is definately a richer and cleaner cup of coffee. no sediment either... it takes longer, but i like it much better.

Get a good grinder and you will have literally zero sediment. Yours isn't getting a consistent grind, there should be no pieces fine enough to make it through the mesh.

lilmira
02-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Start with a decent burr grinder first, the espresso machine comes second. Don't cheap out on beans neither.

What's your budget?

I bought mine from here.
http://www.creativecookware.com/coffee_machines.htm?gclid=CNGe79btgq4CFWQ0Qgodth3j4A

dibbz
02-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Start with a decent burr grinder first, the espresso machine comes second. Don't cheap out on beans neither.

What's your budget?

I bought mine from here.
http://www.creativecookware.com/coffee_machines.htm?gclid=CNGe79btgq4CFWQ0Qgodth3j4A

Nice site! As a starting package I thought I'd buy the Rancilio Silvia V3 with the Rocky Grinder and see how I like it. Apparently from what I've read that this particular machine has a learning curve, but it's a good way to start learning.

lilmira
02-04-2012, 01:24 PM
I only started about year and a half ago. The only thing I have to do once a while is to adjust the grind setting. For some reason, every time I start a new bag (same type from the same shop) I have to change the setting to prevent over/underdraw.

That Rocky Grinder looks nice. A lot of people like the V3 and it's been around for quite some time. It can't go wrong. The limited edition looks super nice too :) .

Trinzler
02-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Someone should try making that coffee set up from that super meth lab in Breaking Bad