PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Fix This Part?

em2ab
07-29-2008, 08:07 PM
I helped out a fella today that had a pretty serious mishap on the road, looked like his tie rod snapped or something. The following piece that goes from one front wheel to the other:

http://www.performance-cafe.com/images/axle.jpg

The middle of it is supposed to be connected to the subframe and the 2 bolts just ripped right out of the subframe. So it was hanging and was only connected to the each wheel, of course he had no steering anymore. Does it need to be just welded back to the subframe or you think the whole assembly would be shot after that? He was making a U-turn and it let go.

Unrelated, anyone here with a tow truck or mechanic shop that wants to make some money? Maybe a welder?

DO NOT PM ME! I'll look at this thread later and send him whatever's posted.

Supa Dexta
07-29-2008, 08:43 PM
That is an axle and cv joints. Sooo.. Not sure what you want us to tell you? If it broke, fix it. If it was in that bad of shape that it failed, what kind of shit shape is the car in? Maybe it shouldn't be fixed.. Also that has nothing to do with your steering.

BoS_DC2
07-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Should specify what car this is happening on.

em2ab
07-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Old pickup.
Yes, it's the axles and CV joints, they're supposed to be bolted to the frame but now they're not. So the steering wheel simply spins around and none of these parts move with it. If you push the truck, the wheels go whichever way they want to.

Supa Dexta
07-29-2008, 11:05 PM
You are confused. The axle does not steer the wheels.

PS, no one can help you on here with that description. either get some pics or take it to someone to look at.

em2ab
07-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Okay, 2 things.

The axles let go from the frame.
The wheels no longer turn with the steering wheel.

I don't know what causes what, I'm guessing the strain on the axles and CV joints is too much for the tie rod to overcome when trying to move the wheels. Either way, I'll tell him to bring it down the street for CMS to have a look at. He left it on 32.

Kennyredline
07-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Two words: KIDNEY FOUNDATION!

ZMan2k2
07-30-2008, 09:53 AM
On a truck, the front axles are not connected to the frame. The front diff is connected to the frame, and the axles run from the diff to the front knuckles on the truck. In no way do the axles control the steering. If the wheels turn in any direction, it sounds as if the tie-rods have let go, possibly the steering rack. They do look similar, with the rubber boots and all, but are completely different animals.

Nufy
07-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Sounds like he broke the steering shaft...

Or the Pittman Arm / Steering link.

bspot
07-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
On a truck, the front axles are not connected to the frame. The front diff is connected to the frame, and the axles run from the diff to the front knuckles on the truck. In no way do the axles control the steering. If the wheels turn in any direction, it sounds as if the tie-rods have let go, possibly the steering rack. They do look similar, with the rubber boots and all, but are completely different animals.

From what he's saying, sounds like a 2wd truck.

No clue how the wheels wouldn't have fallen right off if the axles are now loose though...