PDA

View Full Version : A warning to everyone (health care)

The Cosworth
07-29-2008, 08:27 PM
I have smoked on and off for about 8 years (since I started snowboarding at 14, amazing what you do to impress girls), a couple weeks ago I had a friends dad die at 54 whos lifestyle wasnt really one to be desired. Thinking that 27 would be my mid life scared the **** outta me and I decided to change my ways.

I quit smoking, quit drinking (then started up but limit of 1 drink), and changed my diet drastically.

Last night I woke up and couldn't breath. It was literally as if I was drowning, I could only take about 20% of a breath in. I took some cough syrup and went back to bed. All day I felt like **** and I still couldn't breathe.

I left work at 2 and came back to bed thinking I got sick or bronchitis or something. I woke up not being able to breathe again.

I went to the doctor and it turns out I have given myself asthma again. I haven't had that since I was a kid but I guess smoking can really **** up your body even if the smoking is minor.

Not being able to breathe has been the scariest thing I have ever had happen. Smoking isn't worth it people, I dont want to rant and try to change anyones mind but it just seemed to scare me enough that I needed to say something.

elesdee
07-29-2008, 09:28 PM
I am glad you are deciding to change your ways. I haven't smoked a single cigarette for 3 years, but I have yet to quit smoking dope and drinking. On monday I was in Edmonton at the Body Works exhibition at the science centre. You should see what real smokers' lungs look like! :barf: Or what an alcoholics liver looks like. Or what the arteries of an obese person look like!! Very inspiring exhibition, I recommend everyone to see it.

LadyLuck
07-29-2008, 09:39 PM
sad to hear about your asthma, i hope things get better!
good for you for quitting smoking, i am in the midst of quitting myself, it has been hard but i have to! i have been trying to change my diet and eat healthier along with exercise...its hard to make that change but i know i have to!

The Cosworth
07-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by elesdee
I....... Or what the arteries of an obese person look like!! Very inspiring exhibition, I recommend everyone to see it.

and this is why I need to loose my extra 15 lbs, thanks for the posts guys.

Good luck to both of you!

Unknown303
07-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Wow seriously..

anarchy
07-30-2008, 08:54 AM
Sorry to hear about your asthma, but good for you for changing your lifestyle.

Hopefully it doesn't take an eye-opener like that for others and your story will inspire at least one person.

I smoked very casually before except for maybe a year where I smoked about a pack a week, but I was never really addicted and quit cold turkey.

Never again though!

arian_ma
07-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Hope you are feeling alright man.
Can you explain how asthma works? I didn't know you could "give it" to yourself.

Quiet10
07-30-2008, 09:59 AM
From howstuffworks:

Asthma (http://healthguide.howstuffworks.com/asthma-dictionary.htm)

:)

tobslau
07-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Sucks to hear about the asthma, but congrats on a positive change on your lifestyle :thumbsup:

Will the symptoms of the asthma decrease if you stay away from smokes, or will it be permanent?

arian_ma
07-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by The Cosworth

my understanding is that in your lungs there are hair like membranes called cilia. When you smoke you damage them and clog the 'holes' with the crap from the smoke.

People with asthma often have trouble breathing when they're in the presence of what are called "triggers." When someone with asthma has asthma symptoms, it means that the flow of air is obstructed as it passes in and out of the lungs. This happens because of one or both of the following:

1.) The lining of the airways becomes inflamed (irritated, reddened and swollen), and may produce more mucous. The more inflammation the more sensitive the airway becomes, and the more symptoms.

2.) The muscles that surround the airways become sensitive and start to twitch and tighten, causing the airways to narrow. This usually occurs if the inflammation is not treated.

When you quit smoking they figure the crap your lungs is trying to push out and re-generate the Cilia's can be one of your "triggers" which can cause asthma if you had it before (like I did when I was a kid)

Which can cause me to have breathing issues and also causes me to have a crazy cough and cough a lot of that crap out of my lungs.
I see that makes much more sense. How long ago did you quit smoking and drinking? It may suck a lot right now and your body may be reacting harshly to this, but imagine how great you're going to feel a couple of months down the road!
Good on ya man.

The Cosworth
07-30-2008, 07:18 PM
so here is a good indicator that our health system is over stretched.

I started to run a fever and cough up blood tonight and figured out (yay me :thumbsdow ) that this isnt asthma.

I went back to the doctor and it turns out I have a really aggressive form of Bronchitis which they mis-diagnosed as asthma

Gay