PDA

View Full Version : 3G iphone from the states

autumnrain
07-30-2008, 10:35 AM
I went to vegas last week and they had some in stock.
can I buy one from the apple store there and bring it back to use?
or is it locked to AT&T? is it possible to unlock a 3G iphone right now?

Kaos
07-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Currently there is no unlock for the 3G. Only jailbreaking.

interlude
07-30-2008, 10:39 AM
I just got back from Cali. You cant buy the 3g iphone without a contract yet. I heard that you will be able to buy it sometime in August though.

EmJay
07-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Absolutely no point in picking one up from the states at the moment.
Bring up the rogers directory from the rogers.ca site, start from the top and work your way down. You shouldn't have a hard time finding an 8 but 16's on the other hand might take abit of patience. Also try the rogers videos stores and costco as well, less people seam to check those.

Good luck with the hunt

anarchy
07-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Question about the Rogers $30/6GB plan.

Can you use that plan on one of the older unlocked iPhones from the States?

Reason is I just resigned my contract for 3 yeras in January and I have a BB Curve. Just got teh $30/6GB plan for Blackberries. I'm not eligble for a hardware upgrade yet so I can't purchase the iPhone through Rogers.

Can I get an older iPhone and use the $30/6GB plan?

autumnrain
07-31-2008, 09:06 AM
i thought you can't cause the data plan is only supposed to be with 3G phones??

holden
07-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by autumnrain
I went to vegas last week and they had some in stock.
can I buy one from the apple store there and bring it back to use?
or is it locked to AT&T? is it possible to unlock a 3G iphone right now?

It'll be very hard to bring back a 3G iPhone. First of all, you need to sign up for a contract before you can leave the store with the phone. If you're thinking of just signing up for a contract, then terminating it, don't forget that you'll also need a US social security number for them to run a credit check before you can get a contract (unless you're an existing AT&T customer).

dkmlam
07-31-2008, 10:16 AM
so they don't sell them at apple stores without a contract anymore?

holden
07-31-2008, 04:03 PM
correct... although AT&T has said they will make the iPhone 3G available for purchase, but who knows when that is, becuase they only said "at a later date"...

Altezza
07-31-2008, 04:16 PM
Isn't Rogers screening IMEIs now days? I heard the $30/6GB option (I'm assuming you'll be using this if you got your hands on 3G iPhone from down south) is screened against a Rogers IMEI template. So even if you got your phone unlocked, you'd risk a lot of data charges since your phone does not have a Rogers IMEI. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

CRXguy
07-31-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Altezza
Isn't Rogers screening IMEIs now days? I heard the $30/6GB option (I'm assuming you'll be using this if you got your hands on 3G iPhone from down south) is screened against a Rogers IMEI template. So even if you got your phone unlocked, you'd risk a lot of data charges since your phone does not have a Rogers IMEI. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I read on HowardForums, it's OK to use a "grey market" phone with the Rogers $30/6GB plan. It's Fido that's being gay about it, although some people have been able to add it on their account with a non-3G smartphone.