PDA

View Full Version : Replacing 1996 Civic Alternator

CaptainReboot
07-30-2008, 12:05 PM
My wife has an old 1996 Civic Hatchback CX.

It has had problems starting in the past. When we would try to start it, it would just click. So what we would do is charge the battery, and then it would start.

But now it won't even start. So I'm assuming we have a dead battery, which we will replace. Also we think it's the alternator.

Has anybody had any experiencing replacing an alternator in a Civic? My wife says hers is the generation that has the chip in it. Does that make a difference?

Thanks in advance.

revelations
07-30-2008, 01:11 PM
If its an alternator problem, your dash light normally would come on and let you know the voltage output is insufficient.

Not sure if it tells you its OVERCHARGING the battery, but that would kill one as well.

I'd also consider an electrical leak.
How long did this battery last you guys?

CaptainReboot
07-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by revelations
If its an alternator problem, your dash light normally would come on and let you know the voltage output is insufficient.

Not sure if it tells you its OVERCHARGING the battery, but that would kill one as well.

I'd also consider an electrical leak.
How long did this battery last you guys?

The battery is probably 4 or 5 years old. It doesn't get driven very often. When we try to start it now, it doesn't nothing. I haven't noticed anything on the dash, but I will look tonight if I notice anything.

Is there any other way to see if it is an alternator problem?

johnny0214
07-30-2008, 01:35 PM
use a voltmeter to test your battery.

the clicking you are describing most likely sounds like the starter was dying.

revelations
07-30-2008, 02:09 PM
So NOW its not even making the "clicking" sound anymore when you go to start it?

Try jump starting it....the clicking noise is typically the relay switch but a bad starter solenoid could be a problem too.

Mr_ET
07-30-2008, 03:05 PM
When you turn the key to start the car does the radio and all the dash lights come on?

If so it's not a battery issue. If no lights at all come on and the car feels completely dead without power the battery is dead.

If your alternator is dead your battery would probably keep the car running for 15-20 mins and then everything would die and it would not restart and all lights would be off.

I'd recommend getting a new battery unless this current one can be recharged and tested to see if it is still holding good voltage.

If you recharge or get a new battery and it all dies the same day then I would recommend getting a new alternator and you can pm me if you need someone to do that install for you for a bit cheaper than a dealership would charge.

bobby_lu
07-30-2008, 03:08 PM
When I had the clicking probem on a civic a long time ago, it was the starter.

5G_celica
07-30-2008, 03:35 PM
since you battery is old, recarging it from a complete drain will get harder and harder, until it completely dies and wont rechard at all.

well what i suggest, since the battery is old and should be replaced anyways, is go buy a new battery. put it in, and if it starts the your starter is good , and you know the battery is new. the as quickly as possible go to a partsource and get the charging system checked.

if it is your alternator, you will be able to start her up and drive it until the battery dies. then you know it's the alternator.

good luck.

CaptainReboot
07-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks for everyone's help on this. Currently nothing lights up when I try to start it.

5G_celica, it doing exaclty what you describe ^

When it was clicking, what I would do was charge the battery. After charging it, it would work, and the car would run. It would run for a few days as well, but once we stopped using it for a longer period of time, it didn't start anymore, and that's when it would click.

I would then charge it, and it would work again for another couple of drives. Now I'm thinking that since we haven't recharged it for a while, the battery is completely dead, since the charging method isn't working anymore.