PDA

View Full Version : Any programs or clubs for a person thats drinking too much?

Graham_A_M
07-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Hey guys, I have a long time friend that I've known since I was a kid, he's always drank a fair bit, not to so much as recently, and I'm getting worried.
Asides from the traditional Alcholics Annoynomus, what else is there that I can do, any support groups I can refer him to?
Any programs or anything of (any) sort? I'm kind of lost.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this, and helping in any way at all.
-Cheers:)

Kona9
07-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Try the non emergency CPS line. They would have some good suggestions.

How about the suggestion of some counselling? You go with him as a friend if need be.

Intervention tactics?

All suggestions.

D. Dub
07-30-2008, 08:48 PM
A good place to start is with his family Doc and then maybe AADAC.

The City of Calgary info line 211 also gives info on socical programs and social supports

Here is a website --do a search for alcohol

http://informalberta.ca/public/common/search.do?geoLocation=calgary_map.html

The blue pages in the white pages also lists resources.

AA can be a good fit for some people but their success stats likely aren't really that great and they won't allow any universities to study them :rolleyes: so they're kind of a grey area as to success

Unknown303
07-31-2008, 12:38 PM
March 24th 2004 I went out for my 21st birthday and drank myself stupid, got dropped off at home around 3am only to be awoken by my father at 4:30am to drive me to work since I didn't have a running vehicle at the time. He knew that I was still drunk but he dropped me off at work, and as I stepped out of his truck he said to me "If you lose your job today, I never want to see you again." Through some miracle I managed to make it through the day.

Coming home that evening my parents intervened on me saying I should check out AA and that they talked to some guy that already goes and that he would be over in an hour (Wow did i have a choice??) so since they went through all this trouble and seemed legitimately concerned I decided to go.

I only went to one meeting. It was just sitting in this room with all these older people (I was only 21 at the time, maybe, not really sure) that made me realize how much they had thrown away by drinking. People who'd lost homes, families, friends and jobs. To me this was a real eye opener.

I only started to drink again this spring, I have priorities in my life now, I own a condo with my Fiancee and have a decent career in the works. These are things that are very important to me and I know now that my actions will decide their faith.

I'd say for your friend Maybe even just breaking the ice and telling him you think he has a problem could be a good beginning. It was when dad told me that he never wanted to see me again that i realized I had to make changes. Didn't mean to post up all that crap but it helps to know that people do have these problems and its something that you can overcome if you want to.

gretz
07-31-2008, 12:44 PM
betty ford clinic:thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
07-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Start with an honest discussion with the person.

rmk
07-31-2008, 12:55 PM
it's one thing to get blitzed once in awhile (which is ok imo!) but consistently is TROUBLE. lots of people think that they will never get sucked in and pound back the booze, but it is easy to get into that rut, and difficult to get out.

personally, i wouldnt refer him to anything. maybe ask him if he thinks he drinks too much, and tell him you notice it. in a friendly way. if it is extremely serious you should get in touch with his parents/siblings and mention that to them as maybe they notice it, or are oblivious to the situation.

Darkane
07-31-2008, 02:37 PM
OP take my advice,

ONLY interfere if he is not functioning. I know a few functioning alcoholics and they just drink to much. Make sure you have just cause.

Just because he drinks more than you think is appropriate don't try to be the hero.

By functioning I mean missing work, spousal abuse that kind of thing. If he's just beligerant<sp> when drinking he doesn't have a problem really, he probably just doesn't like himself. Work on that then the booze will wean itself out.

Graham_A_M
07-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the advice everybody, Unknown303, D.dubs, Darkane
and everybody else.

He is a fully functioning person, never misses work or anything, but yes he does drink way too much, as in a six pack or two a night.... every night:nut:
I think Darkane was right about the "not liking himself" part.

I'll sit him down and have a talk, and see where it goes.

jsn
07-31-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
OP take my advice,

ONLY interfere if he is not functioning. I know a few functioning alcoholics and they just drink to much. Make sure you have just cause.

Just because he drinks more than you think is appropriate don't try to be the hero.

By functioning I mean missing work, spousal abuse that kind of thing. If he's just beligerant&lt;sp&gt; when drinking he doesn't have a problem really, he probably just doesn't like himself. Work on that then the booze will wean itself out.

You never know though. This might eventually lead to something worse. might be a good idea to bring up the problem before it gets worse. But signing him up for support groups might be stretching it. I agree with whoever said it above. Sit down and have a chat first...

bspot
07-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
OP take my advice,

By functioning I mean missing work, spousal abuse that kind of thing. If he's just beligerant&lt;sp&gt; when drinking he doesn't have a problem really, he probably just doesn't like himself. Work on that then the booze will wean itself out.

I dunno man, 2 six packs a night and it sounds like he's right on his way to not be non-functioning sometime soon. Better to help now before he loses his job, car, house etc and gets even more depressed and driven to the booze harder than ever before.

tsi_neal
07-31-2008, 06:06 PM
A friendly conversation usually cant hurt, be if he doesnt want help nothing you can do will make a bit of difference.

Darkane
07-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Yes, and though I would agree with you guys, I have tried to talk to them.

Guess what? They said man you know alcoholics can't hold a job and beat their girlfriends. I'm not like that blah blah.

Then after the joking ice breaking is done, you actually look them strait in the eye and tell them they might have a problem.

That doesn't go well, arguments ensue, you might lose your friend. Just be careful and weigh the options.

D. Dub
07-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Thats a lot of drinking -- definite physical/mental damage will come from drinking that amount of alcohol.

Unknown303
08-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Yeah that's a fair bit of beer to have daily in my opinion.

I'm with Darkane that the conversation has to be had tactfully, Would be a shame to lose a friend.

The only thing I could possibly add is that if he's used the "I have a job and don't beat my wife" story then remind him that there's still time, and things could get worse.

Its a hard situation to gauge, but if his family knows then it might be a good idea to have them talk to him. Its hard to hate on your family when they are just expressing concern, believe me, In one day I went from having a dad that was seconds away from disowning me to seeing him sitting across from a table looking like we has going to break down because he didn't want to lose me.