PDA

View Full Version : Camping - Long Weekend

anarchy
07-31-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi guys,
Looking to possibly go camping for a night or two this weekend. I know, it's late and it's going to be a gong show.

Is there any chance I could still get a camp site?
And if so, anyone know any good places around that I could find one?

Or am I off my rocker for thinking I could still get a spot.

Eleanor
07-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Find a first come, first served and get out early :dunno:

Grogador
07-31-2008, 03:15 PM
"around" ??

which direction?

how far are you willing to go?

when can you leave?

what are you looking for? there's always backcountry camping somewhere in the forest, but I guess if you want washrooms and shit..........

:thumbsdow

anarchy
07-31-2008, 03:21 PM
Any suggestions for a first come first served site that isn't too far?

Probably looking to leave Sunday morning, come back Monday so just one night. Potentially two (leave sat morning) but probably not.

Doesn't really matter how far, but for one night probably not too far. And doesn't matter which direction.

Yeah I think washrooms are preferred.

I don't go camping very often and usually it's with friends who do all the planning, so any details would be great lol.

adam c
07-31-2008, 03:22 PM
ur not gonna find anything leaving sat morning

Eleanor
07-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by adam c
ur not gonna find anything leaving sat morning

:werd: Friday at 5 things will be full.

anarchy
07-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah that's what I was afraid of.

dang
:banghead:

gkAeris
07-31-2008, 04:03 PM
where we goign anarchy?

i wanna come! lol

jk

thats what we thought about the campsites last weekend, everything is probably full blah blah blah...

we went saturday afternoon and came back sunday night, no problem gettign 3 camp sites side by side

this is two jacks campsite btw.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by gkAeris

thats what we thought about the campsites last weekend, everything is probably full blah blah blah...

Last weekend wasn't a long weekend....

Graham_A_M
07-31-2008, 04:12 PM
head down to Waterton. Just like Banff, but smaller with much less tourists. There are some fantastic camp sites down there, and you are literally right on the border (well a 5 minute drive I mean). Its 1.5hours SW of here. Well worth the drive:thumbsup:
We go every year. Also check out Bluerock campground about 30min east of Turner valley. Its a LONG beautiful drive on a un-divided road, but it takes you to a wicked campground with huge lots.

a social dsease
07-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Head out to Burnt Timber, its an off-road area about 45 mins north of Cochrane. Take highway 22 north from Cochrane until you get to the town of Cremona. Keep going north for about 5km, you'll see a sign that says Burnt Timber/Fallen Timber, take the left turn there and go about 20km along the paved road, which ends at a gas plant. At the gas plant your only option is to turn around, or go right onto a dirt road. Follow the dirt road for about 10km, and you'll start to see people camping. The dirt road continues on for a looong way, so keep going until you find a nice spot, or just stop there. Pick a good spot and set up, or hike into the bush a bit. Completely free, no rangers or restrictions, and unlimited spots. :thumbsup:

sCream
07-31-2008, 05:15 PM
I booked a campground in Drumheller less than a week ago and it seemed like there were more spots. Call around for sure.

Spoons
07-31-2008, 06:04 PM
Everywhere in Alberta that you can reserve has been reserved (unless I mean the shit show areas no one wants to be in to begin with) but anything close to Calgary will be reserved.

Leaving Saturday again you won't find shit. Try to go out to Waipress (not sure how to spell it) right outside of cochrane. There is no facilities, nothing, but its just a find your own campsite sort of deal. You will have to put up with the noise of ATV's and such all day though, most people fgo out there to do that sort of thing.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-01-2008, 11:18 AM
My buddy just got our spot at (first come, first served) Gleniffer North Dyke, and the site is already 90% full. :eek:

SkittleFreak
08-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Last year I went camping and some guy "reserved" his campsite two days before. He supposedly "Paid" for the site, then "left" a lawn chair. We were there one night and he came the next night and we fought. We said "Sure, call the park supervisor and we will check the deposit box for who paid" and they gave up after that. Fuck I hate some people.

ekguy
08-12-2008, 05:49 AM
Went to the Okanagan wanted for long weekend called well over a month ago all we could get was the days after the weekend. Long weekends at certain spots around Alberta and BC are booked as early as fall of the previous year I was told, so booked in nov/dec of 2007 for summer long weekends 2008

Eleanor
08-12-2008, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
My buddy just got our spot at (first come, first served) Gleniffer North Dyke, and the site is already 90% full. :eek:

Haha, when we got there, it was totally full already. We went to Dickson Point and someone was just pulling out as we arrived :D We got lucky because the rest of the campground was entirely full.

Grogador
08-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by SkittleFreak
Last year I went camping and some guy "reserved" his campsite two days before. He supposedly "Paid" for the site, then "left" a lawn chair. We were there one night and he came the next night and we fought. We said "Sure, call the park supervisor and we will check the deposit box for who paid" and they gave up after that. Fuck I hate some people.

Says right on the envelope that you can't save spots... had a similar experience at our campground that long weekend...

TKRIS
08-12-2008, 08:50 AM
There were still some spots left at Tunnel Mountain for the September long weekend last night when I booked (for campers: not sure about tents).
I realize it's an old thread. Just throwing that out there in case anyone was debating getting out a couple more time this year.