PDA

View Full Version : 08 civic vs 09 corolla

bloom
07-31-2008, 07:21 PM
Since you guys know way more than I do, I was hoping you can give me some input on these two cars. I can't get the 09 Civic yet, so that isn't really an option and I can't really wait until October when it's suppose to be in my area (Alberta, Canada)

The 09 Corolla (looking at the sport and xrs) can be about a thousand or two cheaper, it's 09 compared to an 08, and we can pick the colour. I tend to like the look and feel of it a bit better.

The 08 Civic has better ratings in safety, resale etc and everywhere I check it's rated higher (though Corollas have great ratings too). I find the reving nose the automatic to be loud when it shifts, and the cabin nose is higher than the Corollas. I like the 'name' of the Civic better and it looks a little more luxurious.

The car will be for the wife and for the quick family holiday out of town.

What would you recommend?

Should I wait for an 09 Civic (not a great option for me....but doable)?

Any idea on the prices I should be getting as the talk I'm getting from the dealers is that there is really no movement from the MSP (maybe a couple hundred)

Thanks

MYSS8YOU
07-31-2008, 07:26 PM
sounds like you chose the 08 civic but you want someone to try and persuade you. id say do it up man. civics are great cars, specially for women

riced
07-31-2008, 07:32 PM
The civic is a great car.. I have an 06 coupe myself and it's great.
If you haven't yet, take a look at the both of them in person. THe new corolla's interio doesn't match the civic's.
It's relatively cheap looking and the seats don't look comfy at all... it seems toyota spends little time on the interior.

The civic is great inside. THe only downside is the easily scuffed plastic panels. But it's nothing that you can't wipe away. The seats are surprisingly comfy and there is a lot of room in the back.

signature7
07-31-2008, 08:17 PM
i'm getting rid of my 2007 civic this saturday. However, it's a good car and i've had zero problems since picking it up last year. It's a fun little car. However the things i don't like about it is, imo, the interior is really cheap looking. A lot of plastic! I have yet to sit inside a new corolla but the interior could get scuffed easily, especially if you have the coupe and kids are going in and out of the back. The seats to me are comfortable and others have told me so but my gf hates them and loves the corolla seats. Another thing is when you let go of the seat belt (keep in mind i have the coupe) it slides back and sometimes hits the plastic which could cause scuffs.

what kinda of civic were you looking at?

I dont think you can go wrong with either. I've had friends who have had older corollas and they love em just as much as i liked my civic. Good luck!

bloom
07-31-2008, 08:48 PM
The civic I'm looking at is the 4 door, auto, LX. The corolla is the 4 door, auto, Sport or XRS.

How much can I expect dealers to come down from the MSRP also?

ragu
07-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Depends if you buy one of the lot or order one. If the color and options you want aren't available, they won't give you that big of a discount. But either ways look around $800-$1500 off the MSRP depending on how hard you negotiate.

Sorath
07-31-2008, 09:15 PM
hard to find specific civics right now, everywhere is short on supplies

johnboy27
07-31-2008, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
hard to find specific civics right now, everywhere is short on supplies
Red Deer Honda has tons of them. They have a second yard just packed full.They do however go threw about 20+ per weekend.

Sorath
08-01-2008, 12:03 AM
ur not listening.... u think all of them are gonna be what ur looking for? its hard to find something if ur picky. and besides i say its running out

signature7
08-01-2008, 12:26 AM
^^ :werd:

there's plenty of trims styles and two types of trans. to make up for plenty of combos, i'd say if you're picky go now to find out if you can get what you want, if not, wait for the 09.

Boostn
08-01-2008, 12:27 AM
IMO go with the 09 Corolla XRS :thumbsup:

r0g3r
08-01-2008, 12:42 AM
my corolla sport is being transported and should be here saturday, ordered it at the high river dealership. my only two choices were the civic and corolla, I felt that the civic interior is not THAT much better than corolla's. Other than that i think the two cars are pretty much on par with each other. I chose the corolla because I liked the exterior styling. also, it was hard negotiating the price, I got 300$ bucks off, garmin GPS 260, 250 gas card & hood deflector.

heavyD
08-01-2008, 07:24 AM
It's close but I would go with the Corolla because the civic interior doesn't feel like it will last as the materials are in a dead heat with the Dodge Caliber for the lowest quality in the compact class.

Evolution17
08-01-2008, 08:23 AM
I'v been in both 8th gen civic as well as the 09 corolla (XRS)
and i like the civic more
The interior is waaay nicer even tho it's mainly plastic

i also hate the rear reflectors on the corolla
just mo opinion :dunno:

bloom
08-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Any thoughts on an 07 corolla sport with 85,000 km and on the extended warranty (5yrs bumper to bumper)? Asking around $16,000

max_boost
08-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Civic Nation!! But I have to admit, the Corolla can look pretty aggressive. You can't go wrong with either car.

Dren
08-01-2008, 01:40 PM
for sure i would go with the Corolla :)

signature7
08-01-2008, 01:43 PM
if you're getting a sedan and if it's not going to be an si, i would go with the corolla.

ToyVitzRS
08-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by signature7
if you're getting a sedan and if it's not going to be an si, i would go with the corolla.

+1

If this was 08 Civic Si (4 Door) vs. 09 Corolla S or XRS I'd go with the Si...and this is coming from an 09 XRS owner.

Why?

Even with the XRS I don't find it up to par with the Si (Power wise)...I did purchase the XRS because I do find it more attractive than any new Civic, I also find my XRS very quiet (barely hear any road noise when the windows are rolled up) and more importantly because I gotta stick with my Toyotas (anyone who knows me knows what kind of family I grew up in) LOL.

As for the interior...Both brands are made of cheap plastic so there shouldn't really be a big battle of which has a better interior IMO (I've driven both an 08 Civic and of course my 09 Corolla), it's just a matter of which interior visually appeals to you more and which better suits the driver.

Best of luck with your decision! :)

tmura
08-01-2008, 03:27 PM
have a friend that own a Grey 09 auto S, It find it easy to get into the car then my parent 97 civic Ex. The corolla ride is quiet and Smooth, The engine rev too high i think, We were going from a red stop to 60 and the rpm was around 4k and go back to around 2k when just normal driving. The seat feel comfortable and not too soft. The rear mirror is kinda small for short driver, but the driver seat can be raise higher and lower. I ride in his car alot and i like it.

But I would choose the civic 4door lx cause i am honda boy. Both cars last 10+ years, Chooseing one over the other wont matter, they are greats Cars.

R!zz0
08-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Boostn
IMO go with the 09 Corolla XRS :thumbsup:

I'd go with a Corolla

RATM
08-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

gpomp
08-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by RATM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned). owned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!