PDA

View Full Version : When to use OD?

elvis00
08-01-2008, 11:57 PM
I got a 08 Sentra, and I don't exactly understand how Overdrive works and when i should use it?

When i press the button my dashboard says "O/D off" so basically i'm always driving with OD, is that okay?

When i turn OD off my engine seems to be working harder and the RPM sharply decreases.

Whats the best way to use it to maximize fuel economy?

liquidboi69
08-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Use OD OFF when engine breaking. Use OD OFF when needing more power going uphill (a bit faster on the downshift vs. depressing pedal down until car downshifts automaticly)

elvis00
08-02-2008, 12:01 AM
So basically .. dont do what i'm doing.. turn off OD. Use it only when excess speeds of 70kph and uphills?

liquidboi69
08-02-2008, 12:05 AM
What OD does is just gives you an extra gear. This is useful if you're cruising at high speeds to give you more fuel economy.

The downside is the car has to downshift through more gears going uphill if it needs more power. So you'll need to depress the pedal more if the car does not recognize (as fast as you do,) that you need to downshift.

I usually keep it on, unless I'm engine breaking at a light, engine breaking downhill, or never using top gear (anyplace where I'm going less than 60km/h since my gauges show that I only use 5th gear when cruising >60km/h)

elvis00
08-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Okay, thanks liquid.

The Cosworth
08-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by elvis00
So basically .. dont do what i'm doing.. turn off OD. Use it only when excess speeds of 70kph and uphills? no other way around. As liquid said it is you overdrive gear, what it means is that the gear ratio's have now switched and your engine is now over driving your wheels. Giving you lower rpm at higher speeds, like highway.

Leave it on, there should be no real reason to turn it off on a little sentra. Your od off button is relatively the same as a tow haul mode in a truck but trucks weight much more so using it makes more sense to use it.

Supa Dexta
08-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Rule always used to be generally ~70 as the switch point. Around town there's not much use to play with it, on the highway though you use it for passing, or climbing hills.

alloroc
08-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Only time you need to take it off is if you need engine braking down a long hill.

Remember the higher the gear you are in the less rpms your engine is doing for that speed. That equates into better gas milage and longer engine life.

Your tranny is pretty much designed to switch when it needs to. Don't worry about it.

BlackArcher101
08-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by liquidboi69
Use OD when engine breaking. Use OD when needing more power going uphill (a bit faster on the downshift vs. depressing pedal down until car downshifts automaticly)

No, OD will not help with engine braking... you need a lower gear for that. Not familiar with the Sentra, but my car has a 4 gear OD auto. If I disable OD, it will stay in 3rd gear and not go into 4th.

Disable OD when towing or you need extra power at highway speeds. Other than that, there is no need to disable it. An automatic will always shift down when necessary anyways. Keeping it in OD will help with fuel mileage as well (keep the rpm's down).

89s1
08-02-2008, 12:31 PM
I am amazed at the lack of solid concrete info being spouted from people that are supposed to be car guys/girls.

OD is an EXTRA gear. It will give you better urban and highway gas mileage

Turn it off if you want more spirited driving, or if engine braking. driving in the mountains you may need it off if you find the transmission is "gear hunting" often.

Sweet lord. Props to everyone that knows what they are talking about. this is remedial shit I knew when i was 10.

em2ab
08-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
I am amazed at the lack of solid concrete info being spouted from people that are supposed to be car guys/girls.

I'm surprised he didn't just look in the user manual instead of wasting everyone's time. :dunno:

Gibson
08-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

OD is an EXTRA gear. It will give you better urban and highway gas mileage

Turn it off if you want more spirited driving, or if engine braking. driving in the mountains you may need it off if you find the transmission is "gear hunting" often.

Sweet lord. Props to everyone that knows what they are talking about. this is remedial shit I knew when i was 10.

Are you aware that you just repeated everything everyone already said, but then added some douchebaggery in there?

Originally posted by liquidboi69
What OD does is just gives you an extra gear. This is useful if you're cruising at high speeds to give you more fuel economy.

Originally posted by alloroc
Only time you need to take it off is if you need engine braking down a long hill.

Thanks for trying bud.