PDA

View Full Version : Wetsanding

sneek
08-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Wetsanding is an often misunderstood process. It is one that can if done correctly can give a show car that perfect look, or simply just fix deep scratches or flaws. It isn't for all cars, but it is a more controlled process for material removal. Wetsanding a factory paint job usually isn't a good idea, but if you seek that perfect look, and are willing to sacrifice paint life, wetsanding might just be your ticket. I take no responsibility for what you do!! If done incorrectly, wet sanding can completely destroy a paint job. It takes a lot of patience, care, skill and dedication.

Parts of this car were wetsanded to remove deeper scratches, as well as defects in the paint inflicted by a bodyshop.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/sneeky_munkey/IMG_3904.jpg
The body shop must have done a final sand with a D/A...The problem was that their papers must have been dirty, or they pushed too hard on the sander, either way the paint is almost non reflective and it looks quite poor! There is very little reflection from the rear bumper because of the very heavy orange peel. Overall it was a poor job done by the body shop! Polishing with a heavy compound would not be a safe way to remove these defects, so I chose to use a more controlled method for material removal. This was wet sanding. I started off with 2500 grit, using 8-12 stokes then checking for progress. I personally wanted to be very careful and conservative. When wetsanding, I prefer to let the paper soak for at least 20 minutes. Get a spray bottle add in a hint of soap, I personally prefer M00. Flood the paint you plan on sanding with the spray bottle. (Sorry no pics of this I didn't want to get my new camera wet!). Using a block is optional, but I prefer to use one as often as possible for consistent pressure. Sand in one direction for 8-12 stokes, squeegee off the paint, and inspect the finish. Are the defects removed? If so then you can stop sanding.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/sneeky_munkey/IMG_4045-1.jpg This is what a partially sanded finish looks like. the right side has been fully sanded. If you look, you can still see the pig tails in the paint, where as the other side looks flat. When you are done sanding, I like to give the paint a nice wash and dry, just to make sure you have removed anything on the paint finish. Depending on your tools and skill set, the next step is to either wetsand with a finer grit paper, or to polish out the sanding marks.

In this case, I knew I could remove 2500 grit sanding marks, but I resanded some spots with a 3000 grit paper. I polished the paint back up to gloss with a 6.5" Lake Country foamed wool pad and Meguiar's M105 at 1500, then 1000RPM. There were *very* light swirls left over from the wool pad. The paint was still glossy, and reflective. Much more than it was before.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/sneeky_munkey/IMG_4046.jpg
Notice how the paint is actually reflective again?
I tried to capture the paint from the same angle
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/sneeky_munkey/IMG_4048.jpg

One nice side effect of wetsanding is that you can reduce or ever eliminate orange peel

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/sneeky_munkey/IMG_4027.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/sneeky_munkey/IMG_4029.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/sneeky_munkey/IMG_4028.jpg

Hopefully I will be able to get more pictures of the process up soon. The truck that I was supposed to detail today is MIA, so we shall see when I get a chance to better document the process.

DDOUGAN
08-14-2008, 07:45 PM
nice job. I like the step by step too. what bodyshop was that? I happen to work in one right now and something like that would have never in a million years left our shop. If I had to guess i would call that a maco job. very nice recovery though. cudoes

89s1
08-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Good Stuff sneek!

I should take some pics of the next boat i need to do any wetsanding on, it is an artful process.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I :love: Detailing

Trini
08-14-2008, 08:43 PM
good write up and pics man

Kloubek
08-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Wow.... nice job.

Question for you - something that has always stumped me when doing body work.

In my experience, to do a proper clear coat job, you have to put it on fairly thick. If you're blending into the rest of a panel, I've always noticed that the area where it begins to overspray is not put on as heavily. As such, the finish has always looked ""satin" to me. When you did this work, did you blend the clearcoat? If so, how did you manage to avoid this issue?

DDOUGAN
08-15-2008, 06:12 PM
blends are a tricky subject.... to do them corretly they use what is called blending solvent, basically it is a very reduced clear coat. The reason it goes all "matte" on you, is because the clear coat is not going on level or as thick as needed to creat a shiney surface.To get rid of the "matte" finish or blend line you simply polish it off, but very carfully as you can burn a blend line which means that you removes all of the new clear and there is a distint line where the new clear starts. it can be fixed if your really good at carrying a burn line but it is not the easiest thing in the world to do. the easiest way i find to get rid of them is simply soft paper towel and rubbing compound, remove it by hand and your good to go.

DDOUGAN
08-15-2008, 06:13 PM
didn't mean to steal your thread. I just deal with them every day and wanted to answer...sorry

sneek
08-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by DDOUGAN
didn't mean to steal your thread. I just deal with them every day and wanted to answer...sorry

:P it's a forum... haha you are supposed to answer when you have one :)

I have no idea which body shop it came from, but the owner is on the forum. I don't know if he will chime in, but he's a really nice guy to deal with.

89s1: I might be paying you a visit soon. I need a tech to turn the TPSM light off on my 08 Accord. I have never worked on a boat before...cars, trucks, planes, trains...but no boats :(.

R!zz0
08-27-2008, 08:20 PM
I have few deep scratches on my piant, who does wetsanding in calgary and don't charge like the bodyshops do?

SprayGUN
08-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Does any other "sander" here go through traffic and think about polishing cars just to see the result?

I kinda love to color sand, and polish a cars finish to better than factory standards.

R!zz0
08-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by SprayGUN
I kinda love to color sand, and polish a cars finish to better than factory standards.

Have you ever done it before? lol

SprayGUN
08-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0

Have you ever done it before? lol Yep. I don't detail, but I do a little wetsanding on my jobs I do and polish them out to a glass finish. Kinda have to seeing as how I get dust and dirt everytime I paint in my garage ;)

riced
08-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Beautiful! Great job.. I'd be scared to do it on a dark coloured car hahaha
but I guess skill goes a long way with this :thumbsup:

97'Scort
08-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Does any other "sander" here go through traffic and think about polishing cars just to see the result?

Every time I see a car that looks like it's been washed with steel wool :(

sneek
08-28-2008, 12:46 AM
LOL I always want to polish random cars. Too bad I don't even have time to take care of my own rides anymore! Wetsanding is definitely a skill you need if you have runs, dibs and non matching OP. I guess wetsanding a finish can make it but it can also wreck it forever!

SprayGUN
08-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by sneek
LOL I always want to polish random cars. Too bad I don't even have time to take care of my own rides anymore! Wetsanding is definitely a skill you need if you have runs, dibs and non matching OP. I guess wetsanding a finish can make it but it can also wreck it forever! Yup. That's why you pick and choose carefully the proper solution. Wetsanding new paint is fool proof for somebody who knows what they're doing. You gotta be careful on highspots and edges though. I rubbed through a couple contour lines i just painted on a bumper :(

SprayGUN
09-03-2008, 02:28 PM
thread starter.

WHat is your preference on polish to polish freshly sanded new clear coat?

red99600
09-03-2008, 02:46 PM
any particular brand of polishing pads you recommend?

beyondpinoy
09-03-2008, 04:16 PM
i use lake county pads ... never had any experience with anything else tho..

2EFNFAST
09-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Very cool - I've always wanted to learn wetsanding, but figured with my luck I'd @#$#@ everything up, so I stay away from it :D

sneek
09-03-2008, 06:26 PM
thread starter.

WHat is your preference on polish to polish freshly sanded new clear coat?

When the paint is fresh it is pretty soft, so I usually want to wait atleast a day or two before sanding and polishing. I started detailing with Meguiar's products, and continue to use them to this day. What I use depends on the shop conditions, the final grit of the papers and how hard or soft the clear coat is. For this G I used M105 (Not in Canada yet, other than at Eshine..but I have a gallon :D)

Personally I think you can't really go wrong with many products in the Meguiar's line. I have also had some good experiences with 3M...but at the end of the day I am a Megs fanboy

Originally posted by red99600
any particular brand of polishing pads you recommend?

The Lake Country Foamed wool pads aren't bad, but the Meguair's W4000 ( i think the part number is) is really nice to work with. The 3M wool pads are good as well. If you stick with a good big name you usually can't go wrong.

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
Very cool - I've always wanted to learn wetsanding, but figured with my luck I'd @#$#@ everything up, so I stay away from it :D

It is a tricky thing, and if you aren't careful you will screw up your paint. I don't really recommend it for most people to try out. Some beginners try and tackle the sanding marks with a porter cable 7424 and some 4" pads, but personally, it just doesn't seem as good to me.

SprayGUN
09-03-2008, 06:28 PM
I've been trying 3 different products for freshly wetsanded clearcoat and they aren't getting rid of scratches. For some reason I can throw good scratches in with 2000 grit paper, after going over the 1200 and 1500 marks. Lol.

sneek
09-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Where in Calgary are you located?

SprayGUN
09-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by sneek
Where in Calgary are you located? Up in whitehorn. Kinda have limited supplies and polishers, trying to work with what I have.

Getting frustrated that there are imperfections in the paint that look alot worse when polished :P

blazzer
09-08-2008, 03:59 PM
wow wt a crappy body shop were did u go?? u didi a million times better job man

good work

sneek
09-08-2008, 05:46 PM
The car isn't mine. I was just detailing, so I have no idea where the owner went. The last I heard from the owner, he was writing doing his mod 6... so we might now hear from him for a while, but he is a member here.