PDA

View Full Version : Car Salesman Questions

tr4cti0n
08-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Hey, I'm currently entering Grade.12 and still deciding what kind of career I wish to be in. I really want to work in an automotive industry. At first, I wished to become a mechanic and continue my education at SAIT. But I've been doing some thinking lately and I am deciding whether or not if becoming a salesman is good. I was wondering what kind of education I need to become a salesman and if all their pay is from commission or do they have a base pay as well. Thanks.

ragu
08-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Most of them will only pay commission and I highly doubt if you need any education to become a salesman, but you gotta know how to sell cars. Work your way up from an average used car dealership.

tr4cti0n
08-02-2008, 02:47 PM
So would i need any post secondary courses?

ragu
08-02-2008, 02:48 PM
nope...

tr4cti0n
08-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Oh ok, I'll talk to my counsellor more about it. I was talking to some of my friends that go to UC, and they said going to university might be too much for a salesman. I can probably just go to SAIT and still become a salesman.

cityhunter2501
08-02-2008, 03:02 PM
for any salesman I would say most important skill to have is people skill.

also definetly take some automotive courses so that you know exactly what you are trying to sell.

tr4cti0n
08-02-2008, 03:03 PM
hmm, yeah I was thinking of still taking that autmotive technician course at SAIT. any other suggestions?

Sophal
08-02-2008, 03:37 PM
the course at sait just gets your foot in the door as a technician or you could work as a service advisor. you still have to apprentice as an automotive technician. not a whole lot of money in it, most of the mechanics i know do alot of side jobs. also for sales going to uni is useless get all your sales experience from a small retail store and work your way up. or just work at a dealership and work your way up.

Hakkola
08-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by tr4cti0n
Oh ok, I'll talk to my counsellor more about it. I was talking to some of my friends that go to UC, and they said going to university might be too much for a salesman. I can probably just go to SAIT and still become a salesman.

Possibly not necessary but not "too much." One of the salesmen I talked to when I worked at Hyatt Mercedes had an English degree from UofC.

THE GOVERNATOR
08-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Sophal
the course at sait just gets your foot in the door as a technician or you could work as a service advisor. you still have to apprentice as an automotive technician. not a whole lot of money in it, most of the mechanics i know do alot of side jobs. also for sales going to uni is useless get all your sales experience from a small retail store and work your way up. or just work at a dealership and work your way up.

exactly, very much similar to what i'm doing. selling parts at a small auto parts store and hopefully bound to a nice dealership.

gqmw
08-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Possibly not necessary but not "too much." One of the salesmen I talked to when I worked at Hyatt Mercedes had an English degree from UofC.

yeah, it isn't useless, there are courses that may help. But I think the best experience you can get is from working retail and then using that experience to develop selling skills. If being a mechanic is your thing, i'd highly recommend the RAP program, check it out with your counselor.

Pacman
08-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by tr4cti0n
I was talking to some of my friends that go to UC, and they said going to university might be too much for a salesman. I can probably just go to SAIT and still become a salesman.

It's rare that someone is going to be turned down for a sales position for having too much education. I could see people being turned down for entry level "retail sales" jobs, but that's about it. I know lots of car sales guys with academic university degrees.....not just Liberal Arts majors

88jbody
08-03-2008, 12:30 PM
the 1 year or 2 year sait program is your best bet if you want to be a mechanic.

I have worked at 2 dealerships and 1 perfromace shop and now an aftermarket shop and find that only a few mechanics do many side jobs.

I do very few side jobs, but do do the occational ones.

the pay is ok, but not great.

at the dealerships average for a licenced guy was about the 60-70k/year with a few sinor guys making near 100k

and the aftermarket shops a bit less. in the mid to high 50's, where I am now at a certagaurd looks like close to 60k/year, I was making about 72k at the dealership. and 55k at the performance shop.

as an aprentice the 2 year sait program will get you all your schooling for your first 2 years, so with that you should be able to start at or over 15/hr.

the liceced wages range all over the city but 27-32/hr seems to be where the majority pay.

GTi-RS
08-03-2008, 02:23 PM
I wish all sales people has education in business and marketing...shopping would be so much better.

I've been in sales and it is sad to see how most "sales people" give a bad name to one of the most exciting jobs.