PDA

View Full Version : being a bartender?

the-240sx-guy
09-05-2003, 10:13 AM
hey guys, i was wondering if anyone is a bartender on the board.

if so, did you need to take a bartending class?

is it a good job to you like it, any advice for someone who might want to do this type of work?

DUBBED
09-05-2003, 10:17 AM
take an alcoholism prevention course while ur at it too...

haha being a bartender is a great way to get your tolerance up

K271
09-05-2003, 10:18 AM
Take a class, you have to get liscensed. It's worth the money, they have them at SAIT and MRC. Some schools also help place you at bars. If you want a good bartending job you should really learn the drinks, and combinations of liqours that work. When you apply for a job, see what the popular drinks are at those places. e.g. Hotel bars - need to know martini's, Cosmopolitan, those types of drinks. Clubs, just your basic vodka, tequila mixes and shots. But in general know as much as you can. You never want to not know how to make a drink, there goes your tip and possibly your job.

davidI
09-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by DUBBED
take an alcoholism prevention course while ur at it too...

haha being a bartender is a great way to get your tolerance up

Hey Dubbed, are you still the 'rookie' at Cowboys? Last night I was all drunk and talking to the dude in the red hat about beyond but he didn't seem to know what I was talking about!

DUBBED
09-05-2003, 10:31 AM
hahah lol no hes the new guy!!

i was there last night but i wasnt working...

i didnt realize how goofy that hat looked until i saw it on him!!

Phats
09-05-2003, 10:45 AM
you don't need the class if you have the hookups, but you need the hookups to work in a good club even if you do have the class

DUBBED
09-05-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Phats
you don't need the class if you have the hookups, but you need the hookups to work in a good club even if you do have the class

yeah knowing people is definately a plus... i never would have got a job at cowboys if it wasnt for some people i knew... start out in pubs n stuff cus experience means everything to places like c-boys... even if you have the class... they like to hire people that they can just put on the floor and there you have it!!

davidI
09-05-2003, 11:17 AM
hahah lol no hes the new guy!!

i was there last night but i wasnt working...

i didnt realize how goofy that hat looked until i saw it on him!!

Do you know what the frat party thing is? I got a bra around my head and got up to teh DJ booth so I guess 12 of us won some shit but I was too drunk to know what haha. One of the bartenders told me it's a good time though!

DUBBED
09-05-2003, 11:26 AM
i have no idea to be honest with you...

i think its just a special vip card and theres like a special party one night or something but who knows... ive havnt been given the lowdown...

davidI
09-05-2003, 12:23 PM
i have no idea to be honest with you...

i think its just a special vip card and theres like a special party one night or something but who knows... ive havnt been given the lowdown...

Cool, I'm in serious need of a platinum card so hopefully I can manage to snag one! If you can hook me up I'll do ANYTHING ;) :poosie: :poosie: :poosie:

then again....maybe not :barf:

DUBBED
09-05-2003, 01:24 PM
the only people who get platnum cards are good friends with managers... or rich and wealthy business men... or have a lot of money for no apparent reason!!

thats what i love about working there now... i got like 15 of my friends right to the front of the line last night and if you were outside last night you would know how big of a plus that is....

davidI
10-02-2003, 11:16 AM
the only people who get platnum cards are good friends with managers... or rich and wealthy business men... or have a lot of money for no apparent reason!!

thats what i love about working there now... i got like 15 of my friends right to the front of the line last night and if you were outside last night you would know how big of a plus that is....

I usually knwo someone with a platinum card or find a way to get in VIP or front of the line but there have been a couple occasions where I've had to wait. I was talkin to Dave Wilder last thursday and he told me to give him a call this week and he'd hook me up by I can't go drinkin for the next 3 thursdays so I doubt he'll get me anything :(